ms 462 vs 500i vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

can anyone shed some light as to why the difference between the 462 and 500i in times cuts is minimal, yet 500i and 661 is a noticeable difference. I know cc and power isn’t linear, but I’d have thought the 500i would be cutting with a time somewhere between the other two, but it doesn’t.

Husky 572 must be a sleeper then.

Na,

Ford GT[emoji41]

5e663238bec8c07152f82fc63a365302.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The 661 has the bonus gravity force pushing the thing throught the trunk.

But in all seriousness, when they all have a chain optimised for their power curve and the tree that is going the way of the jenga, it will be so that the difference in cut speed are evenly spread.
If they all use the same chain, only 1 has the most benefit.
But when you optimise the chains, people claim you are biased.
Run all three with 3/8 picco and the one with the highest rpm will win.

Tom,

Bigger displacement saws have more torque, so they will keep chain speed high with more resistance (longer bar).

If a 50cc saws and a 90cc saw both run a 7pin, and the 50cc inherently can be tuned to a higher rpm than a big saw with heaven internals, the increased chain speed in the smaller saw can balance out the increased torque of the large saw if the load is small.

For example, a ported 346 can beat a 395 through a 8 x 8” cant with a good chain. Hook a 28” bar on both and go cut some hard wood and the 395 will destroy the 346.

That’s what’s happening in some of these comparisons. The more load on the saw, the more the bigger saw will pull ahead. It’s not an apples to apples comparison and can be misleading.

A 462 is a relatively light saw that is a great design. It will not beat a 500i or 661 through bigger wood.

Totally lost!

[emoji1787][emoji1303]

You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher’s ass but wouldn’t you rather take the bulls word for it.

I was just being funny yesterday with the car references [emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

At 20 to 24" buried in wood you have a choice between lightweight/nimbleness and power to spare.
At 28" buried in wood the 500 does that, but if you usually cut 20" of wood with your 28" bar... the size and weight wont be a benefit compared to the 462.
At 32" buried you just cant beat displacement:

Note the perfectly clean flat cut surface at the end, I guess this guy have had just a little practice in what he does.

At 20 to 24" buried in wood you have a choice between lightweight/nimbleness and power to spare.
At 28" buried in wood the 500 does that, but if you usually cut 20" of wood the size and weight wont be a benefit compared to the 462.
At 32" buried you just cant beat displacement:

I burry the 500i with a 36” cutting 4 to 5 footers, there’s no stopping it…I leave the boat anchors in the barn now…lol

Back