MS260 vs. Husky350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britales

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 saws for general use, firewood, clearing 60-70 8' trees on my building lot, and anything else that comes my way!This will be my first saw, I've used em' before but not owned one!
Semi local dealer is both Stihl and Husky so service should not be a problem! According to the stats these saws are pretty close give me your valuable opinions please!!!
Gene:cool:

Hi Gene,

Welcome!

Of your two choices I would go with the 260.

If you are willing to pay for a 260... I myself would purchase a 346xp. The 346xp and 260 are both on a more even playing field as pro saws. Both are great saws and should serve you well with proper maint. It is just a matter of what feels better to you.

When my little 340 checks out, I will get a 346xp to replace it.

Good luck & remember your saftey gear.

Hi Gene,

Welcome to Arboristsite! Always good to have new faces come in.

The MS260 and 350 Husky are meant for different markets. The 260 is a pro quality saw that demands more highly skilled care and operation to show it`s potential. The same goes for the 346xp.

The 350 on the other hand is what is referred to as a farm or ranch saw. Decent power/weight ratio, wide power band, good construction, and a more reasonable cost.

If you are interested in an alternative that is built to a pro level of quality but has a more forgiving powerband than the 260 or 346, check out the Husky 353.

Russ

I would go with the ms 260 I perfer stihl chainsaw and have had a 026 stihl and it ran very well. I wish I still had it I moved up to the 036 and it runs very well. what part of Virginia are you in I am in Chesapeake.

Ms 260/Husky 350

Thanks for the welcome fellows! You have given me a bit to chew on! I guess an MS 290 or a Husky 353 would be more in line with my needs. I'll check out some more replies and confuse myself even more! I am on The Eastern Shore , Cape Charles!
Gene:rolleyes:

HUSKY 359

Buy the HUSKY 359. It has superior air filtration, anti vibration and a more.

I once used a Stihl 029 Super to buck up an oak tree. It would get so hot from cutting it would loose power and not restart when shut off for refueling. This saw, IMO, was designed for strong users(its very heavy), to cut up branches in the backyard, and to rest on the shelf in the garage waiting for more twigs and branches to fall.

I think you would be better off buying a Poulan Pro 295 on ebay for $112 usd and run it like you stole it. My brother has 2 of them and uses them all the time to cut trees on his 4o acres. He bought 2 because he figured one if one broke the other one could be used. They both have cut countless trees in the 8 to 16 inch dia.

I had a ms 290 for along time and mine never got that hot that it would lose its cutting power. I really liked that saw and wish I had not sold it it was abit heavy at times but I think the extra weight was worth it. That saw cut eveything I ever tryed to cut with it.

Originally posted by britales
I am looking at 2 saws for general use, firewood, clearing 60-70 8' trees on my building lot, and anything else that comes my way!

Do you mean 8' circumference?

Maybe 8' tall?

WoodTick007, basing your opinion of the 029 in general on your one experience?  The 359 wasn't under consideration, first of all, and second, it's no lighter (at least not enough to notice without using a scale -- if even then) than the saw you say is too heavy.

Other than that, I don't have anything to add to the discussion at this time.

Glen

I really liked that saw and wish I had not sold it

Danman,

If you really mis that 029 that much and think it is such a wonderful piece of power equipment. They can still be purchased at any Stihl dealer. But, the bottom line is: That the saw was not that great. Don't get me wrong...... they look nice.

I do have one question. How does Stihl get the plastic 029, 031, 039 line of saws to weigh the same amount of more than larger saws made of metal?

comparison

rb,
I am looking at about 8" diameter pines and a couple or 3 12' -14' hardwoods (Pin Oaks)
Gene

WT7,

The 29/31/39 series is quite serviceable, don't kid yourself.  They are not made entirely of plastic.  Perhaps the metal in them isn't magnesium as in the other saws you mention, thus the same amount of weight.

Glen

Re: comparison

Originally posted by britales
rb,
I am looking at about 8" diameter pines and a couple or 3 12' -14' hardwoods (Pin Oaks)

Ok, that makes sense. In your original post you said 8'. What do you plan on doing with the wood from the oaks?

I have a 026(MS260) and an 044 for the big stuff. I had the 18" bar with full 3/8"chain install instead of the .325. I love the saw, the weight and balance are really great. They cost more than the consumer series of stilhl (029,039). I am very careful about maintenance of my saws so I expect them to last a long time. Good luck with your new saw and be careful.

My vote is for the 350. I run a firewood business, I have 2 346's and 2 350's. Both model saws never fail to impress me. And they never let me down.

I've never run a Stihl, but I've run a 353 for about a year now and it works perfectly for the average homeowner. Its a great saw with a wide power band that is probably better than the 346 for the homeowner.

Latest posts

Back