Ms290 burnt up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get the saw shop to idle it up so it would run like a scalded dog. A week prior to it burning up.

that is why when you mix gas, you should only add a small portion of the fuel to the oil. Shake well and then add the rest of the fuel. (most mix oil bottles have these instructions right on the label) If the container is "full" it does make it difficult to get it mixed up properly. But hey, who reads instructions anyway. lol.
You could not be more right all the oil few cups of gas best way I think. That is true about directions I don't read much of that stuff myself maybe I better start.

What I did with a pile of leftover MS290 parts is build a MS390 with a China complete engine. Watch evilbay for a good price on a Farmertec (Hutzl seller). Or, maybe Chris can hook you up.
+1 on a farmertec long-block !!! you should see the 372XP motor that west machinery sent-- and it got here in less than a week too--

If the OP needed to ask what an impulse line is, I do not believe the 290 is a good one to learn on. That saw requires darn near total disassembly to replace the motor. I am not trying to rain on his parade...but that saw can be a challenge and frustrating for your first rebuild.

If the OP needed to ask what an impulse line is, I do not believe the 290 is a good one to learn on. That saw requires darn near total disassembly to replace the motor. I am not trying to rain on his parade...but that saw can be a challenge and frustrating for your first rebuild.
Your not going to hurt my feelings I promise. But I got to get it fixed or pay someone to fix it. I just bought a new wood splitter so this isn't going to be my first repaire.

Hmmmm.....What do you mean by idle it up?
It was not idling very high so I asked them to idle it up some, so they idled it. But a week later it burnt up. But I did not mix the gas at all after I poured the oil in it.

Don't you
A complete disassemble is required to install new engine. A novice can get in deep doo doo unless he goes very carefully.

Performance is what one would expect from a modern 65cc saw. Nothing earth shaking. As are all the Farm Boss family.
have to dissemble it either way? New motor or piston, cylinder???

Walk to your car or truck open the front door, put your dominant hand in the door jamb maybe on the latch post. Now slam the door hard as possible. Then take your saw to the bench, now you are in the proper state of mind to start work on your saw. Course that is just one mans opinion. You may choose to put you di** in a vise and let your enemy turn the crank. Good luck I can be done they do em all the time but it can be challenging as well.

The only thing that is good about rebuilding that saw is you can replace the bearings/seals at the same time you do the top job. Then you have a new motor. I have done several with cleaning up the cylinder with a jewelers grinder and putting a meteor piston in it w/ new bearings and seals.

Back