MS460 VS MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm... I've had that happen to me, and it's not funny!! :cry:

On a related note... I put together a saw to sell in The Tradin' Post, and I had this part left over. It should be okay, right?? No need to test it out.
View attachment 383989
I like mine better...
View attachment 383988

Looks like a spare part anyway......

I can't believe you sawed that 3/4 wrap up. :laugh:

Keith, there is no doubt that the 461 is the more sophisticated saw, but the 046/460 is tried & true, a good performer that has been very reliable.

I really like the 461, but it remains to be seen if it will be as durable as the 460. I'm also a little surprised and disappointed that Stihl did not put M-Tronic on it. As far as size, wt, power they are both very close, with the 461 likely having the edge in the torque dept (a broader power band).

It is like asking if the new Mustang is better than the 1968? There is not correct answer, it is nice to have either one.

It may be in my head but i think the 461 feels smoother than the 460 i had
That's part of having a "NEW" saw ,put some hours on them and things loosen up ,harden up etc ,kind of like a new truck ,everything opens and shuts nice when new ,get 100k on it ,seats not the same ,steering is not as tight etc ,a 5-10 year old saw the rubber mounts will be hardened up some ,making it seem like it vibrates more .

The 461 is sweet. It's a 460 with an XPW top end. Can't argue with that. Took Stihl long enough to finally get it....

But I voted 460. Well, the 046 to be more precise. I like the old schoolness of it. It's authentic, and genuine. A pioneer among the saws of it's generation.

An 'OG' if you will.:)

Much like me. :rock:

That's part of having a "NEW" saw ,put some hours on them and things loosen up ,harden up etc ,kind of like a new truck ,everything opens and shuts nice when new ,get 100k on it ,seats not the same ,steering is not as tight etc ,a 5-10 year old saw the rubber mounts will be hardened up some ,making it seem like it vibrates more .

The Seats fit better sometimes after a few years; kinda like those milk Cows we talked about last week.
Certainly after the last payment is made, and you get the title in the mail.

Thinking of you SlowP XOXOXO

And Completely in Jest ;)

Signed,
Mr. Randomness in December

Latest posts

Back