my experience with stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always felt Stihl was quite a reasonable organization. My German is a little broken, but not my saws. I tried to run them within spec for most part, and nothing major has ever failed on a Stihl. I got a couple open for some transplant right now. But I feel like these days my saws are run harder than the average ones out there if not harder than ever. Stihl has always rectified on a dealer, distributor or corporate level with us. That's good enough. They call you back from Virginia Beach, too. That's always a good time to ask question.

Thoughts here and there...

Congratulations to Saw Dr. and his wife on the arrival of their lovely daughter!

My Stihl experience: Local dealer/repair shop makes problems go away or makes sure they don't show up in the first place. If I've asked one question about saw use and repair, I've asked a hundred. They give me advice and I take it. First thing I did with the ms440 I got a couple of days ago is give it to the service tech to tune because he can do it quicker and better than I can.

There are good Stihl, Husky and Dolmar dealers all within ten miles of our house. Service-oriented and know their product. I've done business with all of them over the years for one reason or another.

Well, if we ever get the answer to that question then will pretty much have the answers to all the rest.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it will be interesting to see if he will stop back and fill us in if the chain was the issue.
Agreed, not sure what he was expecting.:confused2:

My Stihl experience: Local dealer/repair shop makes problems go away or makes sure they don't show up in the first place. If I've asked one question about saw use and repair, I've asked a hundred. They give me advice and I take it. First thing I did with the ms440 I got a couple of days ago is give it to the service tech to tune because he can do it quicker and better than I can.
Phil,
Just out of curiosity, who is the Stihl dealer that you speak of? As I said in a post above, always looking for good dealers, or at least better than what I have. Not sure where you live in MA, but it might be worth it for me if they're close to the border.
Thanks,
Adam.

Here's one for the record. Deal with dealers who cut wood. Find the guy who talks your language. The frequent ArboristSite user knows saws better than the kid who is text messagin' instead of torquing down fasteners. "What a lot of guys are doin'..." is the wrong answer when you got technical concerns. Don't settle for a stuffed shirt. Caffeine kickin' in. Lookout.

Nope. Girl #3 (and last for sure.)
ygenuna8.jpg

My wife had some complications last night, so we got zero sleep.

Congrats, kids are amazing.

Nope. Girl #3 (and last for sure.)
ygenuna8.jpg

My wife had some complications last night, so we got zero sleep.

Just in time for Mothers Day !!!
Congrats !!
Mine is due around the first of Nov ...... he/she will be our #4 (1 boy & 2 girls)

Good Luck with her !!
Hope the wife recovers quickly !!
I am sure you remember, but get ready for more no-sleep !!!

Update today,

I cut down a 10" box elder tree today that was leaning over my shed and neighbors fence. The new chain on the saw cut so well it far exceeded my expectations almost like that chain SHOULD HAVE came on that saw when I bought it. I believe the chain that came on the saw was defective or less than.

I was done cutting the tree up so fast that I didn't get much run time out of it. It worked so efficiently that I did not see smoking however the bar was rather warm, a tad more then I believe it should have been across the whole bar.

I did flip the bar over when I put the new chain on.

I applied a machinist straight edge to it and it is not a straight bar. It is not twisted but overall from one end to the other it is lightly bowed.

good to here a new chain fixed the problem, now just keep it sharp. Its better to touch it up before its dull then to let it get dull and have to resharpen.

Obviously something is seriously wrong! Stihl saws don't cut fast....... ;)

Sounds like all's well again. Only the bar needs a straightening!

Congratulation!

so the dealer not only sent you out the door with a chain that was used to install an invisible dog fence on your saw....
but he also installed a bent bar too ?????

sheesh,
no wonder you were so pisssst off !!!!

Update today,

I cut down a 10" box elder tree today that was leaning over my shed and neighbors fence. The new chain on the saw cut so well it far exceeded my expectations almost like that chain SHOULD HAVE came on that saw when I bought it. I believe the chain that came on the saw was defective or less than.

I was done cutting the tree up so fast that I didn't get much run time out of it. It worked so efficiently that I did not see smoking however the bar was rather warm, a tad more then I believe it should have been across the whole bar.

I did flip the bar over when I put the new chain on.

I applied a machinist straight edge to it and it is not a straight bar. It is not twisted but overall from one end to the other it is lightly bowed.

I doubt very seriously that you just happened to have a chain that was assembled with just enough defective parts out of the thousands that are dumped into the assembly bins to make your chain not work properly. I can't even begin to imagine what the odds of that happening could be. It is far more likely (Occam's Razor) that you hit something or continued to cut with a dull chain. And to top it off you ended up with a defective bar as well????? Me thinks not.

I'm not here to beat you up, but to make you do a little introspection into the genesis of your troubles. Stick around; there is a wealth of knowledge to be had here. All it takes is a little time and some thick skin.

The new chain on the saw cut so well it far exceeded my expectations almost like that chain SHOULD HAVE came on that saw when I bought it. I believe the chain that came on the saw was defective or less than.

Still can't bring yourself to admit you screwed up the original chain, eh? :dizzy:

The new chain on the saw cut so well it far exceeded my expectations almost like that chain SHOULD HAVE came on that saw when I bought it. I believe the chain that came on the saw was defective or less than. ...... .

It was obvious from your pictures that it was the operator that had made the chain defective! :givebeer:

This must be another one of those mindless threads that just goes on and on and on and on....................................................................:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back