My new crack head ghetto saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have been beaten up and thrown in jail? Your on a roll

No no, the other way around.

I have had saws... stolen, found the stuff, and got the perp taken to the pen.

If I was walking down the street and saw my stolen saw in someone elses hands,,, I know what I would want to do, and it involves hitting...

Clearly your statement about not losing sleep is the truth given your description of the purchase. More importantly, you had no qualms about posting these details to the forum, where there have been a number of threads posted by people who have had equipment stolen from them.

Your first post left the suggestion that you didn't care if your gain was someone's total loss. The followups, for the most part, gave you a chance to explain your reasoning, even to the point of offering several alternative suggestions to the idea that the saw was stolen. Your most recent post confirms that you simply don't give a crap.

The concerns voiced here aren't the result of jealousy, they are either designed to inform you that you risk getting yourself into trouble, or to relay how much it sucks to have something stolen. Someone paid full price for that saw at one point, the question is whether they lost the whole thing, or willingly gave up most of it.

What I HOPE I would do under similar circumstances would be to <i> gamble</i> on a deal like that. Buy the saw, then check the SN with the local PD or whomever to make certain it has not been reported stolen. Post that here and you'll get congratulated on 2 counts...but post that you don't care how you get a good deal on a saw, as long as you get a deal, and you're not likely to make a whole lot of friends.

Great post Edisto! I'd give you some more rep but I'm supposed to spread it around first...:clap:

I haven't read this whole thread, and I don't have a clear answer on this but I just want to say that buying from a pawnshop is really no different. I used to live on a pawnshop infested street in a bad part of a large city and I can tell ya the percentage of hot merchandise must have been pretty high.

I woulda bought the saw. For all we know the scumbag that was selling it had reposessed it from his customer that couldn't pay up his drug debt. Maybe teh customer was an unemployed logger with a coke habit. Maybe he was a lawyer with a chainsaw collecting habit. We just don't know.

I SERIOUSLY doubt many on here would have passed on that one if they had the cash. So what is worse, METH, or CAD???

I absolutely do not agree with you. Most of the guys on here are decent folks, and their integrity is not for sale at any price--let alone a few hundred dollars.

What bothers me more than the fact of whether it was stolen or not, is Gregs attitude that he flat out doesn't care. I guarantee you it would be a whole different story if someone went over and stole a bunch of his saws or motorcyle stuff! Sorry Greg, that's just the cold hard facts. You laid it out here for us to react to. That's my response. I sure hope my 090 isn't hot!

I haven't read this whole thread, and I don't have a clear answer on this but I just want to say that buying from a pawnshop is really no different. I used to live on a pawnshop infested street in a bad part of a large city and I can tell ya the percentage of hot merchandise must have been pretty high.

I woulda bought the saw. For all we know the scumbag that was selling it had reposessed it from his customer that couldn't pay up his drug debt. Maybe teh customer was an unemployed logger with a coke habit. Maybe he was a lawyer with a chainsaw collecting habit. We just don't know.

The differance is that there are procedures in place to catch stolen merchandise and the pawn shop is responsible for the goods if they buy hot stuff. At least thats how it is here.

From the Indiana code:
35-43-4-2(b)
A person who knowingly or intentionally receives, retains, or disposes of the property of another person that has been the subject of theft commits receiving stolen property, a Class D felony.

35-50-2-7 Class D felony

Sec. 7. (a) A person who commits a Class D felony shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of between six (6) months and three (3) years, with the advisory sentence being one and one-half (1 1/2 ) years. In addition, the person may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), if a person has committed a Class D felony, the court may enter judgment of conviction of a Class A misdemeanor and sentence accordingly. However, the court shall enter a judgment of conviction of a Class D felony if:

(1) the court finds that:

(A) the person has committed a prior, unrelated felony for which judgment was entered as a conviction of a Class A misdemeanor; and

(B) the prior felony was committed less than three (3) years before the second felony was committed;

(2) the offense is domestic battery as a Class D felony under IC 35-42-2-1.3; or

(3) the offense is possession of child ####ography (IC 35-42-4-4(c)).

The court shall enter in the record, in detail, the reason for its action whenever it exercises the power to enter judgment of conviction of a Class A misdemeanor granted in this subsection.

I actually had to rep spacemule on this thread, he's actually added some value. Miracles never cease! Just goes to show that everyone has some value to add at some point. :clap::clap::clap::cheers::clap::clap::clap:

"knowingly or intentionally"

Kind of wordy but I guess he didn't break the law.

"knowingly or intentionally"

Kind of wordy but I guess he didn't break the law.

Being sold far below fair market value, along with a few other factors, has been held to constitute knowing in a few cases. Bottom line is, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes on the other end from a zealous prosecutor.

First of all I would like to point out that I have no time whatsoever for people who steel a man's tools and think its pretty despicable... But...

Why the hell don't more people mark their tools properly? Its not as if none of us realise that there's "nasty men who steal" is it?
I know that in a perfect world we shouldn't need to but that's just for dreamers, this is reality and the fact is that the world not perfect and it does happen.
We all know about it and you have to be pretty hard of thinking not to realise that you have a lot better chance of getting tools back if they have your name and postcode/zipcode on them don't you?

I engrave pretty much all my tools with my name and postcode and my motorbikes even have RFID tags that respond to a short range (inches) hand held scanner that the police use when they are trying to work out if somethings been stolen when they bust a thief.

That way there's a greater chance that the thief gets time for their crimes and you stand a better chance of getting your hard won tools back.

I am not saying this saws stolen, just for the record, but if it was then the person who owned it in the first place would do well to consider marking his property better in future as it helps everyone if the thieves get exposed.

Rant over.
Take care folks, regards Scott.

Being sold far below fair market value, along with a few other factors, has been held to constitute knowing in a few cases. Bottom line is, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes on the other end from a zealous prosecutor.

Yeah I agree I wouldn't want to be in his shoes either but that grey area might lead others to test the water. Not that criminals sit around reading the laws before they break them.

What bothers me more than the fact of whether it was stolen or not, is Gregs attitude that he flat out doesn't care. I guarantee you it would be a whole different story if someone went over and stole a bunch of his saws or motorcyle stuff! Sorry Greg, that's just the cold hard facts. You laid it out here for us to react to. That's my response. I sure hope my 090 isn't hot!

I don't know Greg, but I think if the situation would have been that he knew up front that the saw was stolen before he even drove to Gary, he might not have acted on it. But since he drove there thinking it's a legit deal and then gets there and is kinda shell shocked by the whole deal until he is able to really process what just went on, and now it is a after thought. But the deal's been made now, maybe it's just a lesson learned at this point for future buys/ maybe not:confused:

I don't know Greg, but I think if the situation would have been that he knew up front that the saw was stolen before he even drove to Gary, he might not have acted on it. But since he drove there thinking it's a legit deal and then gets there and is kinda shell shocked by the whole deal until he is able to really process what just went on, and now it is a after thought. But the deal's been made now, maybe it's just a lesson learned at this point for future buys/ maybe not:confused:

I might agree with you if it weren't for post #50.

Well I guess I'll do the right thing and call call the proper athorities and tell them I bought a stolen saw . While I am at it I'll tell'em two years ago I bought a 066redlight and a 34 super for $280 and prettty sure they were hot also(ya think).
Might as well throw in the BRAND spankin new ms660 I picked up last June for $500
I think there is just alot of sour grapes. I'd bet anyone on his site would buy a mint o la 660 for $300 bucks if givin the op
I won't lose any sleep buyin a hot saw.And pretty sure every time somebody post a great CL saw deal 50/50 it 's hot who knows I don't care
if i find a another CL saw deal I'm buying IT!!Flip it on flebay

My comments were based off of post #50 as well.

Well I guess I'll do the right thing and call call the proper athorities and tell them I bought a stolen saw . While I am at it I'll tell'em two years ago I bought a 066redlight and a 34 super for $280 and prettty sure they were hot also(ya think).
Might as well throw in the BRAND spankin new ms660 I picked up last June for $500
I think there is just alot of sour grapes. I'd bet anyone on his site would buy a mint o la 660 for $300 bucks if givin the op
I won't lose any sleep buyin a hot saw.And pretty sure every time somebody post a great CL saw deal 50/50 it 's hot who knows I don't care
if i find a another CL saw deal I'm buying IT!!Flip it on flebay

:buttkick: To all the guys giving you a hard time!

This world is not perfect by a long ways and you gave 300 bucks for that saw. You didnt steal it or try to steal it, you cant go around spending your whole life searching to see if someone has been wronged in the past. That saw could have been sold for a million diff reasons but what ever the reason was it would have been sold no matter what. You bought it use it and dont be ashamed of it , all this stuff about you should feel guilty is complete BS you dont have any reason to believe the saw is other than logit. And as far as that goes what about when someone on here buys a saw from some poor dude needing money to pay rent and gets it for less than half what its worth ,everyone applauds him! Whats the diff!

This world is not perfect by a long ways and you gave 300 bucks for that saw. You didnt steal it or try to steal it, you cant go around spending your whole life searching to see if someone has been wronged in the past. That saw could have been sold for a million diff reasons but what ever the reason was it would have been sold no matter what. You bought it use it and dont be ashamed of it , all this stuff about you should feel guilty is complete BS you dont have any reason to believe the saw is other than logit.
The law does not agree with you. In fact, society does not agree with you. There is a reason why this is a felony.

This world is not perfect by a long ways and you gave 300 bucks for that saw. You didnt steal it or try to steal it, you cant go around spending your whole life searching to see if someone has been wronged in the past. That saw could have been sold for a million diff reasons but what ever the reason was it would have been sold no matter what. You bought it use it and dont be ashamed of it , all this stuff about you should feel guilty is complete BS you dont have any reason to believe the saw is other than logit. And as far as that goes what about when someone on here buys a saw from some poor dude needing money to pay rent and gets it for less than half what its worth ,everyone applauds him! Whats the diff!
mo',

All of what you say is true, if only he hadn't came into the thread trying to be funny, telling everyone he bought a chainsaw from a crack head in the ghetto.

To add fuel to the fire, he then follows it up with post #50.

The first rule of thumb on the internet, "when your in a hole, quit digging".:chainsaw:

The law does not agree with you. In fact, society does not agree with you. There is a reason why this is a felony.

As far as I know the law does not say that every item you buy off clist you must report it and the serial #s to the police! A as far as society goes How would you like to wager weather every item people buy used is taken to the cops and had checked out! Id say the law and society does agree with me.
I love how a bunch of hypocrites jump on a guy that got a good deal ! And why because it came from Gary indiana ! Talk about racial profiling ! You guys amaze me! It would have been fine if he had bought it from a good ole boy in the woods, gimme a break what a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back