Need a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren Snider

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on a new chainsaw. I live in Texas and will be using the saw to clear some land, aprx. 5 acres. There are alot of Oak trees on this property with the largest being about 16-18". After this job I plan to use the saw for upkeep of the property and fire wood. The last time I was involved in a job like this we didn't work until dark we worked until all 3 chainsaws borke down. Which was befor lunch sometimes. I have been to one of the local dealers to see what they had to offer, with only 5 Husky models and about 20 Stihls I started leaning twoards a Stihl thinking there would be better customer support in this area. The Stihls Im looking at are the 026/026Pro or the 036Pro. I would like to know If these saws would be good for this and what saws Husky has that are comparable to these Stihls. Thanks for the help.

the regular 026 would be perfect for you and should last about 1000 hours(a lifetime for homeowner type use) with basic maintenance before it breaks down,huskys to consider would be 346xp or 357xp, or a 55 if you don't want to spend as much,all great saws.026 pro is an odd saw,a compression release on a saw that small makes no sense,I wouldn't spend the extra money.036 is great saw but you'll feel the extra weight at the end of the day,probably get more work done faster with 026.get a 16" bar with .325 chain. hope this helps.

There's quite a few regulars on this forum that love to answer Q?'s like yours. You'll get plenty of advice.

There isn't anything wrong with Stihl's 026 chain saw at all, and for your use the 026 regular version is certainly adequate. So would Husqvarna's 351 or model 55. You'll probably pay a little more for the stihl, and some may tell you that the stihl is worth it. Any of them will do for you what you need them to. The regular version of the 026 will be around $400, while you can pick up a 351 husky for $360. If you want to go with Husky's lower-duty 350, it can be had for around $300.

If you're after a little more power, the 036 does have it, but again for the same money, you can get a little more saw in a Husqvarna (usually).

Dittos with the other replies. Go for the Stihl 026 (non Pro). These are excellent saws and will do all but the really big stuff.

If you'd rather go Husky than the 346XP is getting pretty positive feedback.

got to agree with what everyone else has said. Cant go wrong with the 026 or 346XP or if you want some more muscle get the 036 or 357 XP. The pro saws are alittle more pricy but worth it in the end because they will last a lifetime or more.

recommendations

The 026 is a good saw but in my opinion undersized for your needs, particularly if you are going to have only one saw.

I would suggest one of the following: An 036 Stihl, 2159 Jonsered/359 Husky, or the CS56 or CS62 of the new John Deere line. On the later two, although 6 cc different in displacement, the 56 does about as well with its .325 chain as the 62 does with its 3/8ths. I would buy any of the above with a 20" bar.

The JD/EFCO saws will start easier than Stihls or Huskys.

I love my Husky 346xp. If you are gonna go a little bigger I wouldn't bother with the Husky 359, but spend the extra $75 or so and get the 357xp, same weight w/ a half horse more (10% more power and a pro model w/ excellent reviews)

Just about any saw will cut any log. Ask sedanman about bucking up a 22" diameter log with an 009!
I'm a little guy, 5'7" and 160 lbs. I would rather buck up a log with my 026 than pull out the bigger (heavier) 044. My boss is over 6', 230 lbs. He will use the 044 to brush out a felled tree. He tosses it around like I handle my climbing saw.
What I'm getting at is that you should buy the size saw that fits YOU. Regardless of what others say here, I know my 026 will handle any tree up to 30" diameter or more. But if you prefer a bigger saw, and don't mind the weight, go for the bigger one. After all, YOU will be the one using it!:angel:

Re: recommendations

Originally posted by snydert
The 026 is a good saw but in my opinion undersized for your needs, particularly if you are going to have only one saw.

...I would buy any of the above with a 20" bar.

Why would someone need a 20" bar if the BIGGEST CUT he is going to make is 18"?? I cut 5 pine trees today, 70' tall and 24" diameter. Bucked up most the trunks, and made 4 of the 5 stump cuts with my 026 running an 18" bar! I would have had no problem cutting all of them, but my boss was helping with his 044. Do all of you guys here need a monster saw to cut little 16" diameter twigs? What would you use if you ever had to cut any BIG wood?:eek:

I recently purchased the CS-62 from Deere and I really like it. If you have a Deere shop near by you might check it out. But from my experience many of the dealerships are not carrying the saws yet but they can get them if you can stand to wait.

Hi Warren, you mentioned, I believe, you are clearing 5 acres.? Thats a pretty could chunk. With the largest tree being 16-18"? If your 5 acres is as populated as 5 down here, well that's quite a clearing. I don't think I would want a 346 to fell that many trees. The 357 will flatten that leaning on an elbow. Woudn't drop below that, for a 5 acre clear cut. 357 or 036.

I'd shop the dealers harder than I'd shop the specific saw, though 45cc should be the ablsolute minimum size engine. And I wouldn't rule out Shindaiwa or any other brand mentioned. Happy Hunting!

Hey Warren, I posted a similar question about 2 months ago. I ended up buying 2 saws (it's a long story) ....Husky 346 and 372. I know you aren't in the market for 2 saws but here's my point. I've been using both saws quite a bit lately and I will grab the 346 any time I think the saw will handle what I'm cuttin'. I'm sure the 372 would handle some of the buckin' jobs easier, but the 346 is just a pleasure to run because of it's weight. I used to think "BIG" was better now I think "LIGHT" is better!!!!! I'm not a small guy either, I weigh about 225lbs. My opinon is to buy the lighest saw you can that will handle your needs. I'm sure there are plenty more guys out there that will be able to determine your needs better than I. Hoped this helps.

Jeff

Man, you guys are fast I didnt expect this many replies so soon. But I cerntantly apprecitate all the great advice. After a little more research I found out there is a Stihl dealer about 20 minutes from my land and about 5 minutes from my work so I will stop by there to see what kind deals he has. The replies I recieved make me think the 026 non-pro would be more than enough for what I'll be doing. I also have a friend who did about the same size job in the same area with a 025, he said the saw worked great. I will post again later to let ya'll know which saw I went with and to get some more advice on taking down trees. Thanks again for all the advice I consider it all extremenly helpful.

Latest posts

Back