Need help on building a bench!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep the top work surface within 2 inches of your bent elbow.... based on how you plan on addressing the work... standing, sitting etc.

it will save your neck/back.

Thanks nanuk! I am 5'10" so was looking around 36" to the top of the work surface.That would be around 5-5.5" to my elbow. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Work got a little crazy, 108 hrs. in 7 days! :dizzy: So I am in my long 4 day weekend! YA!!!
So I have been chomping at the bit to hit it hard!!!
Here are some pics so far.
The misses, bless her heart is letting me focus on the bench undisturbed!!!!
Hope to have a good shell by morning and get her squared away by the end of tomorrow! More pics as it evolves!

So far I made a base with a 3.75" toe kick out of treated wood, and am getting the top framed out.

The master plan!(ya I know-I know, just need something to go off of.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Product placement! LOL!!
attachment.php

I think 36" would be low for you. I'm 5' 8" and the top of my bench is 39". It seems perfect for me. Tall enough to stand at but I can still sit at it and rebuild carbs and such. I just measured and at 36" I feel like I would be hunched over.

I think 36" would be low for you. I'm 5' 8" and the top of my bench is 39". It seems perfect for me. Tall enough to stand at but I can still sit at it and rebuild carbs and such. I just measured and at 36" I feel like I would be hunched over.

Thanks Shawn! I want this to be what the smoke house was to my grandpa! LOL! Grandma said that was his and none of her business! (I had my first beer in there! LOL!)

Going back at it boys!

Got the shell up and it is a TAD bigger then I imagined! LOL!
7'4" tall, 4' wide. and 8' long. Keep in mind it is 2'+ counter on the front, and saw shelving on the back!
And I took the advice from you guys on the height! 37.25" to the working surface!!!!!

The base is done so I will start with the shelving, electrical (lights + 2 outlets) and peg board tonight!
The end has a bit of FLAIR!
I know the garage is packed with saws, and parts! Makes it a bit tight for working, but it will be worth it!!!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mine's not that elaborate. Mine is an old work bench that they threw away at work when they bought new ones. The problem is, it's full of tools and things and the top, which started out bare, now doesn't have a square inch of space to work on. I had to rebuild a couple of saws today and I had to lay out a piece of plywood over a wood stove to work on. I'm trying to thin things out though...should be done by the end of summer.

Looks real good. You got me moving things around in my garage trying to find space to build me another bench!!!:cheers:

Thanks Brian13, I barely have room to work on it as is! but boy is she going to be a dream for the saws as to storage, and to have a bench, dedicated for working on saws!! AWESOME! no more running back and forth for thi and that!!!!

Mine's not that elaborate. Mine is an old work bench that they threw away at work when they bought new ones. The problem is, it's full of tools and things and the top, which started out bare, now doesn't have a square inch of space to work on. I had to rebuild a couple of saws today and I had to lay out a piece of plywood over a wood stove to work on. I'm trying to thin things out though...should be done by the end of summer.

Hey Palmer
, I hear ya!!!! I got sick of that and just finally gave up and splurged on the material ($235) for all the items. I had a couple drawers and shelves in the barn I am going to incorporate, but all in all I think it will be well worth it.!

Hey Palmer
, I hear ya!!!! I got sick of that and just finally gave up and splurged on the material ($235) for all the items. I had a couple drawers and shelves in the barn I am going to incorporate, but all in all I think it will be well worth it.!

I really have a nice work bench with six drawers and an overhead light and several electrical outlets on it for power tools...I just wish I could use it! Since it's supposed to rain the next couple of days I might just go out there and see about cleaning it off. I'll probably have to ebay some of the items on it as I don't have any other place for them.

Some convenient accessories that help me out are the magnetic tray, a turn-table(especially for dismantling), and a snake-light or headlamp. OH yeah, dont forget an exhaust fan.

Last edited:
Some convenient accessories that help me out are the magnetic tray, a turn-table(especially for dismantling), and a snake-light or headlamp.

Thanks vaclimber!!! I need to locate a tray(probably Ebay) and I am going to hijack the snake light from my band saw I never use! It is 3' long, so it should be enough. GREAT CALLS, SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

Good start on your bench Teddy. Why don't you paint it STIHL colors in a oil based paint, that way it should make it easy to wipe up grease and oil and not soak in to the wood. Just a thought.
Now get back to work:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Probably the worst setup you can have is a cluttered area (as I have) where you keep your lawn mower(s), cars, golf clubs, etc. next to your work bench. What generally happens is you lose a spring, nut, or screw off your chainsaw, it bounces on the floor and under something. Sometimes you can find it, sometimes you can't. Mine is a make-shift old building rather than a new garage, but it would help if it didn't have so much stuff in it! Chainsaw parts are made so when they hit the floor they either bounce or roll for a long time, they never stay where they land. The manufacturers of chainsaws build them that way so they can sell more parts.

Probably the worst setup you can have is a cluttered area (as I have) where you keep your lawn mower(s), cars, golf clubs, etc. next to your work bench. What generally happens is you lose a spring, nut, or screw off your chainsaw, it bounces on the floor and under something. Sometimes you can find it, sometimes you can't. Mine is a make-shift old building rather than a new garage, but it would help if it didn't have so much stuff in it! Chainsaw parts are made so when they hit the floor they either bounce or roll for a long time, they never stay where they land. The manufacturers of chainsaws build them that way so they can sell more parts.

Sounds like your talking about my garage.

Lil updates!
The bride let me loose for the weekend!(my swing shift weekend!)
So had so serious progress!
Like many here, I was cramped with room, and using others space!
So I am getting close!!!!!

I got the peg board up, and the sides of the back wall will be small shelves for that that doesn't fit on the peg board. Also you can see the craftsman drawers I got off C-list for $15 dollars the other day! YA!!!! But they are a pain to install!! LOL!
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the back side of the bench!
One shelf is just for chain, 2 shelves are for saws, and the top and bottom is for Rubbermaid totes for the part saws!She is getting there! Still have the electrical to do, and the bar and chain walls(the 2 side walls!)
attachment.php

I can't take a picture of mine as it is in a neighbors garage behind a bunch of other stuff (sold our previous house, don't have my shop built yet and no place to put it at the place we are renting).

But one of the handiest things I put on the bnech was a metal tray that sticks out about 2" on each side of the bench that catches things that roll off and of course makes for a great place for those toools you always want at the bench. Of course it also catches sawdust, grease chunks, metal shavings, filings, etc.... but they are rather handy to have for the stuff you want in them.

I used MDF for my top and underneat that was a 2" thick laminate core door. The tables is super heavy and very sturdy, the MDF top is nice (I used one side as part of a reloading setup) and of course once it is all greasy, scratched etc flip it over and you have a clean side.

I can see where a metal top would work better for chainsaw work, but I never have cared for metal topped benches much.

Thanks Birdhunter1!!!

Good note on the side tray.
I have a 2" over hang, so there is plenty to work with to attach a bracket!!!!
Thanks!!!

I have been using the bench for local repairs and so far, the laminate is NICE!!!!!

If I can get in teh neighbors garage one of these days (he lives out of town and the only thing in teh garage is pretty much his motorcycle and a bunch of my stuff) I will get a picture. My bench is 3'x7' and the trays are 4' long and one on each 7' side. (the sheetmetal shop I used to work in 48" is there widest metal).

Latest posts

Back