Need my first saw- a keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some will try to steer you towards a 555...do your homework. A 555 will not hang with a 590 and the Echo will cost you $150 less. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Echo cs-590 is the best deal out there in my opinion. Run a 20" bar, MM & tune, and you will be smiling from ear to ear.
A 555 will not hang with a echo 590? Your kidding right?o_O

My location is Westchester County, NY.
He stated I don't need to buy Pro saw because I don't use it enough to warrant spending extra money. ...He thinks I'm just looking to buy bragging rights because, "how often are you going to fell and cut up a 24" tree?" ...He actually was very nice, just playing devil's advocate and looking out for me in his own way.

Wow. That's pretty refreshing to hear, thoughtful advice and not the constant up-sell when it may not be needed. I'd buy from that guy just on principle, except for the fact that...

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Echo cs-590 is the best deal out there in my opinion. Run a 20" bar, MM & tune, and you will be smiling from ear to ear.

+1000 (Though I'm biased.) ;)

Does anyone wonder why they're so inexpensive?

Echo has a great brand name and they are well made.

The echo thread IIRC has vids of a muffler mod'd echo 620 serving notice to a ported 575xp... By quite a large margin 40%?!?
They are fine saws no doubt, but to say stock for stock or muffler modded a 590 will spank a 555 is just silly. A 575 is a torque saw made to pull a 25-28 bar. Put a 16inch bar a 261 or a 550 and it will be faster through small wood than a 660. Two completley different saws designed for different types of cutting. Put a 36 on that 620 then put it up against that 575 and see what happens.

The Echo sure out weighs the Husky. It's wonderful!

There's a reason the Echo weighs a pound more than the 555. It is in a different class. If a person can't handle the extra pound, they probably can't handle the extra power and torque the 590 offers either. Comparing the performance of a 555 to a 590 is like hauling wood with a a half ton truck compared to a 3/4 ton. One is going to get a lot more work done...and get it done a lot quicker. And one is going to last a lot longer because it is built for the job.

There's a reason the Echo weighs a pound more than the 555. It is in a different class. If a person can't handle the extra pound, they probably can't handle the extra power and torque the 590 offers either. Comparing the performance of a 555 to a 590 is like hauling wood with a a half ton truck compared to a 3/4 ton. One is going to get a lot more work done...and get it done a lot quicker. And one is going to last a lot longer because it is built for the job.
I said it was wonderful, I don't need a edumacation on this... :laugh:

Does anyone wonder why they're so inexpensive?

Echo has a great brand name and they are well made.

Yes Chris, we know...Echo's are old carburetor technology, blow smoke everywhere, and are single handedly killing the earth (sarc).

It's not so much that Echo's are inexpensive, it's more that the other big names have gotten too expensive...you are paying for the name. I know, you will argue you are paying for the R&D of better technology (I call BS). And this might come as a surprise to you, some of us actually like being able to adjust our carbs manually (heaven forbid). Something else that might surprise you is they are very fuel efficient WITHOUT the strato technology you so dearly love.

That must be why all the guys I know in the tree industry that actually run saws for a living 8-10 hours a day are running echoes. Oh, wait a minute I don't know one. Like I said they are fine saws and perfect for joe home owner. But to say they are so superior to a husky or a stihl in the same class is silly.
I'll give you an example. 355t. First impression up in the tree is they are a snappy little saw. Wow, I got a great deal. This thing is almost as good as my old 200t! I should get more of these!
6 months later, used on a daily bases for work, falling apart, junk.

'Cause they are "old tech."
Yup - technology development is very expensive, and unlike product development has a much longer delay until payback. Echo has skipped this cost.

not cutting edge by ANY means, but bulletproof and capable.
Really? In stock form, off the shelf? No mods, just buy it take it home and follow the instructions in the manual? No lean tuning issues?

IMHO, perfect for the OP's intended use.
Do we know if the OP intends any mods or knows how? Do we know if he cares about things like emissions, for personal health or environmental reasons? Because the only way to make an old tech saw run reliable is to make it run rich at almost all points, and if you want to keep it close to correct under even max load, you'd better be able to tune and keep a sharp ear out.

That must be why all the guys I know in the tree industry that actually run saws for a living 8-10 hours a day are running echoes. Oh, wait a minute I don't know one. Like I said they are fine saws and perfect for joe home owner. But to say they are so superior to a husky or a stihl in the same class is silly.
I'll give you an example. 355t. First impression up in the tree is they are a snappy little saw. Wow, I got a great deal. This thing is almost as good as my old 200t! I should get more of these!
6 months later, used on a daily bases for work, falling apart, junk.

That was kind of my point...a 555 is not in the same class (performance wise) as a 590. So, no, it's not silly.

Latest posts

Back