New 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joatmon,

Now that she is broke in, take her apart and start grinding. Nothing like a woods ports to make you drool even more!

It's new. I woodn't think of it .......

You say it wood cut even faster ......

OK, talked me into it. Oh, guess a big bore kit will woodn't hurt.

:help: :help:

ST,

You tried the LGX? You're big on the Stihl chain, right?
I am not really "big" on anything related to saws, but I prefere Stihl chain, given the choise.

As the situation is here, I am stuck with Oregon in 3/8" for Husky etc, as the bars only come in .058, and Stihl doesn't want to sell chain in that gauge - but no big deal, as the 73LP/H42 is a pretty good chain.:biggrinbounce2:

I nave not tried LGX or LPX yet.

Last edited:
Bring that "saw" out here... we'll put it (and you) to the test.

Plus you'll be the only one with a funny lookin' orange saw...:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though... glad you like the 372. If I would ever buy a Husqvarna, that is prolly the saw I would start with.:cheers:

Gary

It's new. I woodn't think of it .......

You say it wood cut even faster ......

OK, talked me into it. Oh, guess a big bore kit will woodn't hurt.

:help: :help:

Well, the saw should technically be a big bore if you bought it new. Didn't they jump displacement a few CC's this year?

As far as the woods mod, there is NOTHING wrong with grinding on a new saw. It surely doesn't destroy the saw, just makes it run better. Longevity isn't compromised one bit!

As the situation is here, I am stuck with Oregon in 3/8" for Husky etc, as the bars only come in .058, and Stihl doesn't want to sell chain in that gauge - but no big deal, as the 73LP/H42 is a pretty good chain.:biggrinbounce2:

What? Husky buys bars from Oregon and puts their blue letters down the side. Oregon makes bars in .050", .058" and .063" ga. Also, Stihl sells 3/8"x.058" chain in RSC and RM. Clean your glasses and take another gander at your spec sheet Troll. Availability on the otherhand, may be a problem for you in your location. Just didn't want you confusing anyone!

No big bore

No, this is the "original" style 372XP with 71cc (oops 70.7 SawTroll).

Bring that "saw" out here... we'll put it (and you) to the test.

Plus you'll be the only one with a funny lookin' orange saw...:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though... glad you like the 372. If I would ever buy a Husqvarna, that is prolly the saw I would start with.:cheers:

Gary

Well Gary, the 372XP is my "work" saw. I'm lookin' over your list of "play" saws and felling kinda small. I guess the old line that comes to mind is: "Dang, I coulda had a V-8."

Well Gary, the 372XP is my "work" saw. I'm lookin' over your list of "play" saws and felling kinda small. I guess the old line that comes to mind is: "Dang, I coulda had a V-8."

joatmon... That 372 is prolly one of the best saws Husqvarna ever made. I wish I had one. You'll love it.:D :D :D

Now go trade that 372 in for a ms440 if you really want to cut fast!:jester:

2000... You can't be serious!:bang:

Gary

Good news

Well, I got a new 372XP last weekend, and this weekend I put her to the test. I had a lot of oak I wanted to block, mostly in 21" lengths with diameters of 18" to 24".

I ran about 5 tanks through her on Saturday. 1st tank I was saying: "Cool". the 5th tank it was: "Wow".

Sunday another 5 tanks. She was cutting great. I ran out of mix about 15 minutes before I was ready to stop. I decided to stop a little short on gas, making it about a 40:1 mix instead of 50:1. She must have liked it. At this point the saw was acting like she was mad at the wood. So I was just hanging on and letting her eat.

Some lessons learned:

1. There is life after Stihl and it's spelled Husky.

2. The trick to blocking is to get the noodles out of the wood.

3. I really like the Oregon LGX. I've always had trouble filing my Stihl "safety" chain, but the LGX was no problem. My 6 year old was helping me late Sunday as I cleaned up the saw. He wanted to file the chain. Now, a 6 year old may not be able to hold 30 degrees, but he understood the "witness" mark. He did a pretty good job. PS: Moderator, would you please block my 6 year old from the Tradin' Post?

4. My back felt the weight of the saw, but my hands felt no vibration. This may well be the biggest safety feature of this saw.

5. I found the saw easy to remove panels to do basic clean up.

6. My neighbor really doesn't like my new saw. Or maybe it's my "Chainsaws don't kill people" bumper sticker.

7. Big thanks to site sponsor Tony for making it happen.

That's a full report from the woods behind my house,

Jack, the Happy HomeOwner

Glad you like it brotha... Now when ya gonna step up to the 7900 eh??? :confused: :cheers:

What? Husky buys bars from Oregon and puts their blue letters down the side. Oregon makes bars in .050", .058" and .063" ga. Also, Stihl sells 3/8"x.058" chain in RSC and RM. Clean your glasses and take another gander at your spec sheet Troll. Availability on the otherhand, may be a problem for you in your location. Just didn't want you confusing anyone!

I know, but there seem to be sort of an agreement here, that makes it impossible to get Husky large mount bars in .050 or .063, and Stihl chains in anything but .063..........:bang: :bang: :monkey: :monkey:

Oregon chain in .063 is possible, but delivery time is 3 months or more.......

Well I bought a nearly new 2000 model 372xp and after about 4 tanks through it, it is starting to loosen up alittle. I like the non limiting coil on it. Did the later epa models have any type of cat muffler or anything, mine is just a empty box?

Glad to hear your new puppy, the 372XP, put in a couple good days work on some oak. I like it but it is a little steep for my budget. I use the baby brother of the 357XP, the 359. I like the way this size saw handles. I'm looking for a 357XP/372XP owner in the area so I can mooch a couple of cuts with his saw. Everytime I'm out with dogs I'm keeping an eye out for orange saws to look at.

You might get your 6 year old a small bow saw so he can help cutup small limbs and feel like he is really into the activity. Does he wear small gloves when filing. Hearing protection I'm sure.

Last edited:
Also, Stihl sells 3/8"x.058" chain in RSC and RM. Clean your glasses and take another gander at your spec sheet Troll. Availability on the otherhand, may be a problem for you in your location. Just didn't want you confusing anyone!

Based on my sample size of one, I'd have to say I agree with you both. Stihl allegedly makes 3/8ths .058, but doesn't want to sell it!

Back in November, I went to a Stihl dealership to order some of the above size in a 20" RSC loop. None of Stihl's current bars (that I know of) are .058 guage, so I knew it was a special order thing and was perfectly okay with that.

Just over one month later, guy calls me up, got my chain in. He never checked his order for accuracy, mind you, so the .325 chain that showed up....uhhhhhh...well it went unsold. That was back in December mind you...it's now mid-March. No calls since.

Sample size of one, I know...and let's face it...at least in the Detroit area, Stihl will give a dealership to a fish farm. Don't want the chain anymore, kind of hope the guy does call me up to let me know he's got it. That way the idiot will have two loops of .058 that he can't move.

Latest posts

Back