New boot FYI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went looking for some good boots to wear while working in my woods.
I am just a weekend warrior type, who cuts wood probably 20 times per year.

I tried on logger boots of several brands but didn't like the high heel and the feel of them.
After trying on many pairs of boots, I liked the basic Carhartt 9" steel toe, waterproof workboot (Carhartt item no. 3908).
I wore them all day Sunday while I cut up a large oak tree in muddy ground, and I was very impressed with the boot.
The boot supported my ankles very well, kept my feet dry and very comfortable. Socks were bone dry, 8 hours after putting them on and sloshing through mud and snow all day. The boots don't have much insulation, so I would consider them a cool to warm weather boot although I could pull on some wool socks if I wanted to.
I am very, very happy with the purchase and look forward to wearing them for a few years. Only drawback....made in China, like everything else.:mad:
Carolina boots are almost all made in China now too.....another topic.

Just an FYI on the boots, because I do see threads here asking 'what boots to buy.' Hope this was helpful to somebody.

I prefere the danner rain forrest boot my self there kind of pricy though but you get what you pay for.

FYI, Labonville makes a low heel logger boot.
But most people can't try them on.

Yup, thats the problem....getting them on my feet to see how they feel.
I tried on some boots that people say are 'the best out there', and they didn't feel right at all for me.
I did see Labonville's boots on their website when I bought some chaps from them, but I didn't want to risk buying the boots without trying them.

I tried on some boots that people say are 'the best out there', and they didn't feel right at all for me.
I did see Labonville's boots on their website when I bought some chaps from them, but I didn't want to risk buying the boots without trying them.

Thats what i liked abought the danners the felt good right out of the box.

I used to have a Labonville Outlet about 20 minutes from me. I was nice to have one close, but they closed. When they were having their 50% off sale I stocked up on everthing that was useful and fit.

I am currently eyeing a pair of these. Any feedback?

I like Danner too, but too much $$

You only get two feet...treat 'em right. I have a pair of Danner Firestormers and they were good to go from day one. They were the only pair of logging boots I've bought in the last few years that didn't take a long time to break in. Worth every penny.

Bailey's has some good boots for the money...I have a pair of their calks and they seem to be holding up pretty good.

I'm a tree worker, about fifty hours a week or so, and I just bought a pair of those Carhartt boots you speak of two weeks ago. The leather is already wearing out on them, and they look like they're three years old. I hope to at least get six months out of them.

I'm a tree worker, about fifty hours a week or so, and I just bought a pair of those Carhartt boots you speak of two weeks ago. The leather is already wearing out on them, and they look like they're three years old. I hope to at least get six months out of them.

Do any of you guys ever oil your boots? I oil mine lightly once a week with neatsfoot saddle oil, and I get 2 years out of my Ariat boots. Im not easy on them either, I work construction, and am forever walking in mud, water, and dust. I also use my boots to kick forms around, etc.

Do any of you guys ever oil your boots? I oil mine lightly once a week with neatsfoot saddle oil, and I get 2 years out of my Ariat boots. Im not easy on them either, I work construction, and am forever walking in mud, water, and dust. I also use my boots to kick forms around, etc.

These probably have 18 months of wear on them. The calks have been replaced a few times. I need to have a warm sunny day to grease them good.
Gotta clean them off before too. I'm showing the picture of Wesco's "exclusive" calk. The golf type won't fit so you have to order these from Wesco. They wear down fast. If I get another pair it'll be 12 inch high tops too. I thought I had had 10" in the past but they were 12s. That keeps your shins from getting banged up. I have used Viking grease, Loggers World (it smells like smoked meat and made me hungry so I got rid of it) Bee Natural something (really good for hands too) and now I'm trying out Obenaufs. All work quite well. When the sun is available, which may not be til August, I scrub the mud off, slap grease on them, set them in a southerly exposed sunny spot, wait for that application to soak in, and repeat a few times. That's all. I will put on additional stuff as needed in between the major greases. But right now it is still rubber boot weather. I haven't got these ready for the upcoming year yet.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Check out some of the moutain hiking boots at REI, I have an Aslo now and they are pretty good. I like the grippy soles high end hikers have.

The guys at REA said I should be paying up for a full shank boot due to the abuse they get. The mechanics of a half shank is one of the causes for welt seperation ans rear stitching failing.

These probably have 18 months of wear on them. The calks have been replaced a few times. I need to have a warm sunny day to grease them good.
Gotta clean them off before too. I'm showing the picture of Wesco's "exclusive" calk. The golf type won't fit so you have to order these from Wesco. They wear down fast. If I get another pair it'll be 12 inch high tops too. I thought I had had 10" in the past but they were 12s. That keeps your shins from getting banged up. I have used Viking grease, Loggers World (it smells like smoked meat and made me hungry so I got rid of it) Bee Natural something (really good for hands too) and now I'm trying out Obenaufs. All work quite well. When the sun is available, which may not be til August, I scrub the mud off, slap grease on them, set them in a southerly exposed sunny spot, wait for that application to soak in, and repeat a few times. That's all. I will put on additional stuff as needed in between the major greases. But right now it is still rubber boot weather. I haven't got these ready for the upcoming year yet.
attachment.php

attachment.php
Okay maybe the camera angle? but for a girl you have BIG FEET! I said this same thing to my wife two day's before we got married picking out shoes for the big day, the bruise is finally going away!
I use Snoseal on all my leather boot's works great! And feels good on the hands just don't tell anyone I said that!Just leave them by the wood stove to soak up the bee's wax and they are good to go No matter what season it is no sun required.

The only shoes/boots I wear anymore are Chippewa Loggers. I buy locally from my 'boot guy'... I like supporting him. The boots are $115.00 a pair--I was very apprehensive when I bought my first pair because of the cheap cost. They are great! The uppers and soles last just as long as my bro's Whites or Wescos. The first pair in black (I'm wearing right now) are on the second set of soles, and two minor patches on the uppers. I also bought a second pair, in brown, to wear while he was repairing the first pair.

A resole, patch, and laces was $45.00. I also coat them in Skidmore's, at the behest of my boot guy. He said he hasn't found anything better, and I'd have to agree. I've never gotten this kind of longevity out'a a pair of boot uppers... And I attribute it to the Skidmore's.

http://skidmores.com/products.asp?cat=14

I like Whites but have heard good things about both Wesco and Nicks. Whites won’t last any longer than any other boot but they are soo much more comfortable. Whites, Obenauf or Pecards leather dressing all work well and a Peets boot dryer will be the best money you have ever spent.

I'm 22 years old and work landscape construction. I see too many young people (late 30's and 40's) that have all kinds of back and knee related problems. I don't buy cheap boots because I would like to take of my feet and hopefully avoid these problems. I've had good luck with Red Wings. They're very well made boots, and incredibly comfortable.

On a side note, but related - I wear ear plugs most of the day too. I hate having to yell at people because their hearing is shot after 15 or 20 years without hearing protection.

See guys! You don't even have to listen to the old farts to learn a lot from 'em! Just watch 'em!

Check out some of the moutain hiking boots at REI, I have an Aslo now and they are pretty good. I like the grippy soles high end hikers have.

The guys at REA said I should be paying up for a full shank boot due to the abuse they get. The mechanics of a half shank is one of the causes for welt seperation ans rear stitching failing.

hey. how are those asolo's holding up for you?

i bought the "la sportiva" mountaineering boots from REI. 260 bones.

anyway the stitching already popped on them. i went to return them but they didnt have any in stock to replace them. the stitching popped about 2 months into wearing them.

i will give them another shot though because (after you get used to the snow boarding boot feel) they are pretty good.

good thing i am an REI member though. full refund baby. i'll take another pair of boots though.

my question for you though is which asolo's did you go with? the red and yellow ones or the yellow/white/black ones? i liked the ones that look more like a boot than the ones that look like a high top shoe. those 2 are much closer to 3hunge though. i got that refund though! lol

Latest posts

Back