new saw needed....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ujio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi to everyone here.I am 50 y.o,recently bought an old country house,and i need an chainsaw.So far,since 2009 i used two Bosch Ake 40 Pro electric chainsaws for chopping wood for fire.But now i have a small forest around the house,all mine,and i need an gasoline chainsaw,for wood,for heating use .As i am getting old,i need it not too heavy,and the blade i do not know.The electric Bosch i use for years have 1900 watt and 40cm blade.I am an old style,using an 19 years old car,i do not like actual things,plastics and fakes.Any advice is welcome.Meanwhile,greetings from Romania.

Hi to everyone here.I am 50 y.o,recently bought an old country house,and i need an chainsaw.So far,since 2009 i used two Bosch Ake 40 Pro electric chainsaws for chopping wood for fire.But now i have a small forest around the house,all mine,and i need an gasoline chainsaw,for wood,for heating use .As i am getting old,i need it not too heavy,and the blade i do not know.The electric Bosch i use for years have 1900 watt and 40cm blade.I am an old style,using an 19 years old car,i do not like actual things,plastics and fakes.Any advice is welcome.Meanwhile,greetings from Romania.

Hi :)

Saw choice is of course dependant on how big the size of wood you are cutting, your strength, what weight your current saw is and if you like it the same weight or if you’ll be able to manage a heavier saw or would prefer it to be lighter then the current (weigh your current and let us know it), how often you intend on using it and of course your budget! Let us know the above info and we’ll be able to direct you accordingly :)

Otherwise it’s like saying I want a car - it’s a broad scope!

Warmest regards,

Tom

the actual Electric chainsaw is 4.7 kg,the blade is 40cm....i can manage this weight,with no problem..use every two-three days,and the wood is the diameter no more than 40cm(maximum)...I prefere an used machine...Thank you all for your answeres....

Doing some simple math and using some "general rules"....

1900 watts = about 2.5 HP
the general rule is 15cc per HP (it gets you close enough)

So, to get power similar to your electric saw, a gas saw would be about 37cc. Round it up to 40cc and be done.

Most agree that a 50cc saw is a good size for a general purpose firewood saw. It's big enough for the occasional 50cm diameter tree yet light enough to work with all day and not feel like you wrestled with a freight train.

I don't know what is available to you in Romania, but I like the Echo equipment. Well built, reliable, and an overall good value.

Welcome to this crazy house, and greetings from the USA.

Here can be found everything....I am driving an old Mercedes,and i would like also an mith chainsaw,reliable,no Chinese...

I'd say keep an open mind and take what you find in great shape at a good price.

And two saws are better than one.

yep.....and 50cc sounds better.....

I’m assuming you know how to do work on them as well? At least basic stuff to keep them running or get them running? Do you prefer certain manufacturers such as Stihl and Husqvarna? Or do you like the older echos, dolmar, McCullough, and so on...? And of course what’s your price range?

I think the only downside to the older metal ones as an everyday saw is weight. I get where you are coming from but for extended times they can be a bit much. Well that and the lacking or little anti vibration.

Good saws in the 50cc range are any Dolmar from PS420 up, Echo saws are all good and reliable,
just that some models are heavier than they need to be, if they sell Efco or Oleo Mac in your area
the older though still made 947 is light and will have enough power for you.

Your old electric saw will have a narrow chain on it to reduce power needs of the motor,
so just don’t convert from it to the same Kw or HP in a Petrol saw, as they usually come
with more aggressive chains that will require more power, a lot of people chose a saw
with 3/8 low pro chain, as there is less teeth than a .325 chain to drag, the low pro 3/8
is also narrower, so less drag again, which means a faster cut when using a small saw,
as opposed to the same saw with .325 chain, there is also a .325 narrow kerf chain that
would be better than thAn the full sized .325 on a saw the size you are looking.

So be careful what comes on the saw, as buying a small saw with a really beefy chain
can be a real disappointment.

I was thinking a Stihl 031 may not be a bad saw...but I don’t have much experience with one

When i get about 47 yo,i reached a new skill,i call it oldie skill.Means that when i see and touch some items,i just guess if i can check more,if it is suitable for me.Sometimes it really works this sense.My wife's father has an oleomac,but after i stayed for 19 years in Italy,i can declare that there are only few good things,cofee and other very few.So,i must stick to old legends and miths,like Husky and similars.I buyed an Husqvarna 240 xtorq,very cheap and used,hopefully well keeped,waiting to come.If suitable,i will consider a bigger one.

I had the same Husky, only saw that ever broke on me, so often
I traded it it in after one week to the Husqvarna dealer, and bought
a Jonsered 2153, I wasn’t going to make that mistake again.
There are Oleo Mac chainsaws here decades of cutting on them,
aluminium split cases, two ring pistons that shift heat better.

Good luck with the 240

If i can ask,i had an issue with both electric chainsaws,the regular oil is not fluid enough when is cold,and the chain is overheating and get loose.I use since car transmission synth oil ,and looks better.Here i cannot find chain oil synth,i do not know even there is elsewhere...

I'd be looking for a 1990s 50cc saw if you want to do your own work on it.
If i can ask,i had an issue with both electric chainsaws,the regular oil is not fluid enough when is cold,and the chain is overheating and get loose.I use since car transmission synth oil ,and looks better.Here i cannot find chain oil synth,i do not know even there is elsewhere...

They make winter grade bar oils. If you cannot locate that try some 20W motor oil, the cheap stuff should work fine.

Concerning a gas saw. A quality 50cc saw from stihl, husky or dolmar should be what you need. Hard to find older ones still in good condition, but much easier to work on if you can get parts

Latest posts

Back