New Stihl MS660 Magnum!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Saw !

I have had 18 of these over the years starting with the first 66 S they made, had the little red light on the side to help tune it but had bad ignition it would short out if it got to much powdery snow on it, Once that was taken care of I have had years of great cutting! These saws, to me, are great because they are big enough to cut pretty big trees but they are not too big to cut little timber. I run a 30 inch cannon bar and 50 ga chain. You will have nothing but good luck with your new ms 660 oh yes that is a very good deal you got.

I just bought a 660 on Monday I want a muffler already porter but not from eBay where can I send a money order to get one, woods does it out of his garage I think but i don't know any contacts I modded my 290 by just cutting bigger holes and bypassing the cat but I want a muffler that looks like it has stacks on it or Something crazy.did you look in the manual it comes with you can get an electric handelbar heater for the ms 660 lol usuily when I'm working my hands don't get cold unless I'm on the bobcat or the case but y would you need a heater on a chainsaw your "suposed to wear gloves" anyways

Last edited:
attachment.php

DP 660

Just go to your local stihl dealer and order a foctory dual port muffler cover.
EZ port job

mines a dual port. this saw actualy had the factory dual port cover on it but i got rid of it i dont like them.
GEDC1945.jpg

got rid of the junk inside it.
GEDC1924.jpg

factory opening is also opend to its maximum. this would help it alot by itself
GEDC1820.jpg

got bored and tried making a diamond plate cover while i wated on the factory non dual port cover
GEDC1896.jpg

290's don't have "cat's" or dogs, either.

That's strange cause I bought a new muffler cause it was ratteling and I nodded the old one and cut it open to see what was ratteling and it was the media that's like in the cat of a car, and my ms290 farmboss came with one dog on the inside maby u got a lot of hear say my its a 2008 and my buddy fits a ms 390 and it comes with one spike and the same muffler

MS 660 Dual Port

After a dual port muffler is installed, how much more do you have to richen it up? Will the adjustment caps get in the way? :confused:

After a dual port muffler is installed, how much more do you have to richen it up? Will the adjustment caps get in the way? :confused:
When I added a dual port cover to an 066 that already had an enlarged single port, there was no change in the carb tuning. Your mileage may vary.

A saw should be retuned from time to time whether you mod the muffler or not, so by all means, check the carb tuning if you install a dual port. It sounds like you are new to carb tuning. Madsen's tutorial is a good place to start.

I'm not new to carb tuning, but I'm nowhere near as proficient on 2-strokes as I am on 4-strokes from lawnmowers to around the 900cfm class,...

Now, when you go to the saw shop, you will be seen differently, as a man with a "real" saw. No more will you be seen as the "consumer type". It's a nice "bomb" to drop every now and then.

I've used it half a dozen times. Once last month. Suburban store where all chains were green, even on the 441 they had on the floor. Another one was going on about how great a 660 is and how it isn't a saw for just "anyone", then I told him "I know, I have one". Then he started telling me about 880s, and I got to tell him that I owned a 3120 too. Took all the wind out of his sails. Then he didn't understand what square ground chain was, but they had a sample on the display. This will be your future now, you are one of the chainsaw gods of suburbia.

Mark
Wow, thats a great price!!! I paid $1,150 for powerhead only last monday for my new 660. Shoot!

Back