Newbie - Need help with choosing a ChainSaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo all the way... Not! Get the 353 although a little big for a pack along saw.

A new 353 for 140$! I might just have to :cry:.

A little heavy for a trail saw but for the trail I would definately prefer a nice axe and saw. But then again I have never seen the need to make such large trails that I would require a saw for it. If I would see the need I would get a small 30-40cc saw from any of the major companies Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Efco/Oleo Mac, Hitachi/Tanaka, Husqvarna, Solo or Stihl. With a blade length of max. 14inch. Some people like to forget but it is possible to cut from both sides of the tree. :laugh:

But don't forget a 50cc saw like the 353, it is just about the role model universal saw for the homeowner! And you definately need one! If shipping costs were not so prohibitative I would buy it just for the price and I already have 2 saws in the league.

PPE (personal protection equipement) is also must have on the trail! It would be a pain to have a cut in the leg from your saw, a widow maker in your head or a cut in your foot from a misplaced axe swing, hours from help. I would just hate to think about walking out with a torn up leg.
Just thinking about the weight a saw 4kg, ppe another 4kg, axe and tools 4kg and food and water 2kg = 14kg approx. 31 pounds(conservative estimate). That my friend is a lot to carry around if you are on foot. There have been some good threads here on how to make a backpack for all that stuff.
A simple bow saw and axe will weigh you down about 3.5kg = 8pounds.

Also what about the stihl 026 that is in the classifieds?

260 and 353 are in the same league. No differences to expected there. Sharp chain and you can go to the next GTG and find some 353's faster and some 260's faster in the timed cut, but on the trail WHO GIVES A SH...! about timed cuts. Safety is the name of the game here. Come in safe get out safe! Your family will always prefer a healthy family member to a cool one!

Good luck and don't forget your ppe!

Last edited:

The 350 was for 140.00 not the 353. Also this would be for camping with the family in small trailer. So weight wouldn't necessarily be an issue. I am also looking into a good axe. Possibly a Wetterlings.

I have the 353 and love it!! The best part about that saw it the way it feels in your hands. To me it feels 5 lbs lighter than it is ... it is only 11~12lb to start with

This is what I have on the table:

a 353 from an arborist site member, with new chain

and

a 270 that is about 60.00 less from a owner that has never used it but got it in a trade and says that it starts with 1 or 2 pulls. And this is local.

Thanks Guys

Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

Centaur
I was thinking of getting an Axe as well. Those look like really nice axes....do you have one of them? If so, which one. I was thinking of getting the one sided full size axe....not sure if I should get the 2.5 or 3.5 head though.

I do. I own a S&N Hudson Bay in both the 24” model and the short handle version found in the split and kindling set. The longer version is the one I prefer for camping. The split and kindling set is behind the seat of the truck with the wedges. We rarely use felling wedges but the little maul does a great job. If you have the time, see if you can find an old Collins Hudson bay axe. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Much better quality. Estwing also makes a good camp axe but you really feel the hit through the handle. Also consider a woodsman pal. Great tool for long hikes or just keep in the pack. Have fun and be safe.

This is what I have on the table:

a 353 from an arborist site member, with new chain

and

a 270 that is about 60.00 less from a owner that has never used it but got it in a trade and says that it starts with 1 or 2 pulls. And this is local.

By all means get the 353, it is lighter and nimbler than the somewhat clumcy 270, and built like a pro saw!

I have a Jonsered 2141, think its now the 2240. I have a 16'' bar, plenty of power for most anything. I think I'd want to buy new, not reconditioned for a saw, full warranty is good. In my opinion for a smaller saw like the 445 I'd rather have a 16'' bar, I'm definetly far from an expert compared to most people here, but I believe with smaller saws its better to have a smaller bar, can still cut through stuff bigger than it, but doesn't overwhelm the smaller cc's.

Sounds to me like you're right on the money!:clap:

These are the pics he sent me...

attachment.php

Looks used but not abused! That looks like a great buy! Now when will it arrive and when do we get to see your first vid with that big smile on your face?

Not sure...Hopefully he will be sending it out today. I also purchased a Fiskars Super Splitter.

Not sure...Hopefully he will be sending it out today. I also purchased a Fiskars Super Splitter.

Now you've got me intrigued. Lots of reasons a Phoenix fellow could want a chainsaw. But the SS implies splitting firewood. Do you burn much firewood in that area? I know she gets chilly some nights in the desert, and of course higher up in the mountains. Or are you posting from Phoenix, Mich.? :D :D

Enquiring minds want to know. :givebeer:

And congrats on the saw! :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back