Nicholson files are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basturd file the sell is ok but I have been using their round files for a couple years now and they stunk. The last 2 files I opened from the package, I threw in the trash. One couldn't even make it through a complete sharpening of my saw before it started clogging up and it was like running it across glass.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
I find some file tooth types need to be tapped frequently or back wiped clean every few teeth or they skate.

The basturd file the sell is ok but I have been using their round files for a couple years now and they stunk. The last 2 files I opened from the package, I threw in the trash. One couldn't even make it through a complete sharpening of my saw before it started clogging up and it was like running it across glass.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
funny, I started a post last night in response to your other thread. My first thought was either you were using inadequate files or destroying them prematurely and/or not changing them out enough. I HAVE a few other things to add about the factory grind and gullet heights on almost all chain I've used.

I never knew Nicholson made round files. Never seen them in Western Canada but their raker files are/were tops.
Said to hear the quality has dropped with the flat files.

An old redneck pig farmer goes into a hardware store.....

He goes up to the clerk and says, "I need a file!!!"

The clerk say, "Right this way sir, we have a fine selection over here. What kind of file do you need?? How about this 8 inch flat bastard?"

"No", the farmer replies. "Give me one of those little round mother @#%^&*s!!!!!!!"

bitsumishi said:
Gave up on the Stihl 3/8 Pico files....the steel is so bad they bend at the handle on first use.
Just got a Nicholson to try out and it seems ok so far...it's more of a bastard grade than the Stihl. Made in Brazil it said.
Next time I will try and find a Vallorbe as they are Swiss I think.
The 'next time you try a Vallorbe cause there Swiss' instead of the Stihl files you dislike just remember a little fact.....Stihl files are Swiss & guess who makes them... Vallorbe!

I like a stihl file,it finishes better than any I've used,I just wished they lasted like a save edge.
Pferd leaves a sharp cutter also

One couldn't even make it through a complete sharpening of my saw before it started clogging up and it was like running it across glass.

If a file loads up that quick then the teeth of the chain are suspect plus when a file begins to load up then clean it before filing anymore.

If a file loads up that quick then the teeth of the chain are suspect plus when a file begins to load up then clean it before filing anymore.
In a shop where parts are fitted and made with files there is the constant sound of hitting the file on the vice to clear chips.

For tough chips flatten the mouth of a 30-06 shell and dig it out.
For flat files it works even better.

The wire will flex. Used that method for 20 years on "favorite" files. Can't get carried away though on a chain file, your correct about fine cut files. But point is, if you don't clear the file you might as well be using a piece of cold roll.

The wire will flex. Used that method for 20 years on "favorite" files. Can't get carried away though on a chain file, your correct about fine cut files. But point is, if you don't clear the file you might as well be using a piece of cold roll.
Yup.

But on this forum you have to go to the lowest common denominator.....
I just cringe at the thought of a newbie grinding in with his dremel. Lol.
Know what I mean?

Yup.

But on this forum you have to go to the lowest common denominator.....
I just cringe at the thought of a newbie grinding in with his dremel. Lol.
Know what I mean?

Oh yeah, know exactly what you mean. I'm just learning to be a saw wrench but 40 years cutting metal and I've seen many "machinists" that would have been better suited to running a jackhammer.

The 'next time you try a Vallorbe cause there Swiss' instead of the Stihl files you dislike just remember a little fact.....Stihl files are Swiss & guess who makes them... Vallorbe!

I have searched a few times recently to find out who makes the Stihl files....no luck, so was just about to order some Vallorbe for the first time.....good job I didnt.
Think I might try the Pferd or maybe Bahco.

I have searched a few times recently to find out who makes the Stihl files....no luck, so was just about to order some Vallorbe for the first time.....good job I didnt.
Think I might try the Pferd or maybe Bahco.
Bacho has been sold at least twice.
Their pliers used to be second to none.
Many are now made in.....china.
Bummer

An old redneck pig farmer goes into a hardware store.....

He goes up to the clerk and says, "I need a file!!!"

The clerk say, "Right this way sir, we have a fine selection over here. What kind of file do you need?? How about this 8 inch flat bastard?"

"No", the farmer replies. "Give me one of those little round mother @#%^&*s!!!!!!!"
You beat me to it lol.

I haven't used their round files yet but the flat files are fantastic. 100 times better than an Oregon or Stihl off the shelf. No idea who makes them, they both are horrible. Although a Stihl round file is alright. Don't last forever and not too aggressive but at least they can sharpen a tooth. I'd take my luck with a rock before I ever use a Stihl or Oregon to hit the rakers again.

Latest posts

Back