Octane Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well put Doug. I am having a hard time between methanol and ethanol and which one mixes well with me.:p

It would be interesting to hear about how a saw runs on methanol and nitro.

Not to drag the OT on, but I think you'll find that most of the high horsepower dynos are of the eddy current variety.

I try hard to share factual information with fellow members of this forum. So far I have withstood the slings and arrows of others about topics on this forum.
DBRents told me I was wrong. Walt Galer told me I was wrong. Turned out they were wrong. Now Otto and Ben say I am wrong that Nitromethane will mix with gasoline. The first two are gone from this forum as far as I can tell. Otto left but came back, and I am glad. I do not believe I am wrong. To suport my contention Ben said he has not tried it. I have! I just rechecked on a 12% mixture that has been mixed for a month and it still is mixed. Otto checked with some drag racers. They may not know.
Check out this site and tell me I am wrong. If I am I will apologize, how about you? Mike
http://www.pricechemical.com/nitromethane.htm

ok Mike - I'll eat some crow here about this. I didnt think that there was any way for one to mix gas and nitro. Apparently you can, (only up to 10%), so there is another way to mix it in addition to keeping it in a centrifuge like I said. LOL. I was wrong about that.

Anyway, I dont feel that I was wrong in the slightest about stating that nitro will not mix with gas. It will not (without something additional added like you pointed out). Kind of like saying that Gypos leg is broke and he cannot walk, but if you give him crutches he can.:p

Nitro, is the racers friend and enemy. the more the better... not with nitro and different fuel mixtures. You half to do your homework and blow up a couple of saws to get it down. Besides the big dogs that run nitro-meth. have there mixtures done with a small chem-lab with specific gravities. I have three different mixtures I run for different events. I have put my mixes in saws that people thought that were now slow against the newer saws and they have placed. This is way they call it wacky fuel, becasue you and the fuel half to be wacky to run it.

Later,
Chris

i would still like to see a saw run on say 45% nitro methanol mix and see if there was the power gains. As I am a poor hobbyist I cannot put myself to do this to even my 136....the 051, well..., they always had a rep for being bulletproof....:D I guess I have to rejet the carb, I might even need new needles or no?. Anyone have any ideas where I can get the stuff I need? I can get the nitro. I wish the saw was an arctic version though since the intakes on the alcohol cars always freeze and it would be nice to flick a switch to combat that problem.:p

I have a freind who has been playing with Nitro methane. His experience thus far is that it doesn't really mix with gas and his 088 'deisels' after shut down.

nitro

Tri nitro methane, not really for two cycles. The problem is it throws off it's own oxygen when it burns. There is a secret to mixing it to 25%, and getting it to burn without burning the carbs off. You are going to have to restrict the air intake or burn up on take off. Can you buy this? Not unless you are licensed to handle it. From your questions I see you haven't played with this stuff and should not be handling it tundraotto. If you do play with it adjust your compression also.

Re: nitro

exactly Ben, getting more air to burn is the whole idea. You just have to run fat to prevent running lean.

Originally posted by geofore
Can you buy this? Not unless you are licensed to handle it. From your questions I see you haven't played with this stuff and should not be handling it tundraotto. If you do play with it adjust your compression also.

what are you talking about? I dont need any licence to buy it or handle it. $150/5 gallons shipped from NC.

Man all this fuel talk has got me confused. My little red truck run really well on 117 octane from my local airport and that little 502cid really makes some serious HP when i pour in a little of the "recipe" 140 proof give or take a couple each way. Makes them 14.1 slugs and that Crane High Roller sipping out of them 2 fours really make some mechanical music.

Johnny Bowtie

Well i guess you can tell i am no John Lambert regarding these Attachments. ( he is the attachment guru you know) anyway here is a pic of the 502cid Bowtie.

Back