Old chain saw mix oil specification...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can safely use modern 2 stroke oils in your C72 mixed at 50:1... trust me. It doesn't even need to be synthetic. Just good quality oil.

The manual for the C72 was printed before good quality mix oil was even thunk of.

Gary

I use Mobil One 2T synthetic at 32 to 1 in everything, even those that call for 50 to 1. I have no plug fouling, or carbon build up problems and no smoke after warm up. All this on the advise of a long time Stihl dealer and some professional grounds keepers I have known. You will not be unhappy that you had a little too much oil in your mix, but you may be very unhappy that you had too little oil in the mix.

one question remain...

does my old homie will perform better with newer oil and leaner mix like suggested ?

it has 5hp originaly.

thanks.

Judging from my experiance,your more likely to gain a little power with a heaviar mix,more compression,less friction,less heat, but not so heavy you have carbon problems. I used to run 15 or 16 to 1 in my old Homelites and I would occasionally need to scrape some carbon build up from the exhaust port. The last several years with 25 to 1 I seldom see enough carbon to warrant any carbon removal on my personal saws .
I've had seized saws brought back to life using heaviar oil mixes also.

The old way of thinking with oil is just ingrained in some of you waaaayyyyyy too deep.

Modern 2 cycle oils mixed at 40:1 or 501:1 will be just fine. My old Homelites see a lot of use on 50:1 Stihl synthetic, and they perform flawlessly... If I was mixing plain old 30wt motor oil, like the old saws used to run... I would prolly still run them at 16:1 or 25:1.

Gary

I use Mobil One 2T synthetic at 32 to 1 in everything, even those that call for 50 to 1. I have no plug fouling, or carbon build up problems and no smoke after warm up. All this on the advise of a long time Stihl dealer and some professional grounds keepers I have known. You will not be unhappy that you had a little too much oil in your mix, but you may be very unhappy that you had too little oil in the mix.

10-4 on that. I run 2T at 36-1.

Rarely hear of any problems from folks who run 50-1.....but prefer the added insurance provided by richer mix ratio. And my saws are mostly all ported, so they are working a bit harder.

However, back when I used dino oil at 40 or 45-1, I switched to 32-1 and did find some minor carbon build-up and occasional plug fouling.....Full syn solved that.

10-4 on that. I run 2T at 36-1.

Rarely hear of any problems from folks who run 50-1.....but prefer the added insurance provided by richer mix ratio. And my saws are mostly all ported, so they are working a bit harder.

However, back when I used dino oil at 40 or 45-1, I switched to 32-1 and did find some minor carbon build-up and occasional plug fouling.....Full syn solved that.

I agree, more power with more oil, and cooler running are worth the extra few pennies a tank IMHO. I would never run the ultra high ratios that folks like Amsoil, Opti-2 suggest but that is just me, I believe that more oil than absolutely needed is just good common sense or insurance as you say. In a two-cycle engine oil is just passing through, I say make sure it is getting enough to keep every surface well coated, oil is cheap, engines are not!

2 stroke oil

Well your modern water cooled dirt bike engines run a 32:1 ratio and a 125 cc dirt bike piston isnt much bigger than some of the chainsaws and the shifter kart racers use 32:1 on high rpm ported engines I think my favorite 2 stroke oil is klotz you cant beat the castor oil many of the dirt bike 2 stroke oils have castor oil like honda mix and such if you wanted super good oil I try and stay away from outboard oil though because outboards have water cooling and dont run at high rpms and the oil seams to be thinner IMO

Latest posts

Back