Old Stihl 041,20:1 fuel mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
bought an old 041 today at a flea market.Saw runs great other than a few missing housing bolts.Anyhow,I checked it out on acres and it showed a recommended 20:1 fuel mix ratio.Mine is the old style non AV model.The newer 041 AV shows a 40:1 mix.Was this perhaps a mishap ,or did the older Stihls from the early 70s call for richer mix .I mix 16:1 for my old XL-12s,so I dont mind carrying around the different mixes anyhow

If I were you I would make sure I used a good branded oil for air cooled 2 stroke between 24 and 32 to 1 non synthetic or 32 to 40 to 1 synthetic. You should be fine using the same mix in the xl's just be sure the carbs are adjusted properly with a clean air filter and you maintain the engine performance. To much air to fuel or not enough lube, either will over heat and ruin your engine. If the saw doesn't run or sound right, shut it down until the problem is corrected.

Some of the older stihl manuals say to use 25:1 for "off" brand two stroke mix and 40:1 for stihl brand mix....the new ones all say 50:1

Thanks for all the replies.I only use Stihl 2 cycle oil for everything,and have always mixed at 40:1.I think that 50:1 is lean myself,and with the 40:1 mix,even in newer saws,I have never had a problem with excessive smoke or carbon.As for my old homelites,its 16:1 always.Let em smoke.

My father has a early 031 with about a half billion hours on it. Had I since new and still has it . That saw never had anything but 50:1 stihl orange container oil and 87 octane . They saw cut 10-15 cords a year for 30 years .
Me I like 40:1 but have no concrete evidence that's better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father has a early 031 with about a half billion hours on it. Had I since new and still has it . That saw never had anything but 50:1 stihl orange container oil and 87 octane . They saw cut 10-15 cords a year for 30 years .
Me I like 40:1 but have no concrete evidence that's better .

About 20 -25 years ago I think is when the Orange bottle came out, before that I remember a white bottle labled 40 to 1 and that is what Stihl recomended unless you used other branded oil at 25 to 1 until the mid 1990's. The last year for the 031 was I believe the late 70's. 30 to 40 years ago when an 031 was new, I don't think then we had 87 octane, seems it was 89.5 leaded if my mind remembers accurately. He probably didn't go to 50 to 1 until the orange bottles came out or he would have voided his warranty
You also get more oil by your carb settings being adjusted rich which can play into the reliability factor.
Any way you look at it, success can be had using different ratios. I think an operators habits and uses has a lot to do with what does and doesn't work well or best for them.

About 20 -25 years ago I think is when the Orange bottle came out, before that I remember a white bottle labled 40 to 1 and that is what Stihl recomended unless you used other branded oil at 25 to 1 until the mid 1990's. The last year for the 031 was I believe the late 70's. 30 to 40 years ago when an 031 was new, I don't think then we had 87 octane, seems it was 89.5 leaded if my mind remembers accurately. He probably didn't go to 50 to 1 until the orange bottles came out or he would have voided his warranty
You also get more oil by your carb settings being adjusted rich which can play into the reliability factor.
Any way you look at it, success can be had using different ratios. I think an operators habits and uses has a lot to do with what does and doesn't work well or best for them.
I don't remember the white bottles but I'm sure he had them then . He was all for using what you got at the dealer . We had a another mix can for the lawnboy that used the lawnboy oil also lol. And I'm sure we did have the leaded fuel I remember that.It was always what was the cheapest . I believe the saw was purchased in 70 the year my oldest brother was born . Either way oil has come a long way but I'm still not comfortable with 50:1 in power equipment . I have a early 70's hadaka ace 100 that sais on the fuel cap 20:1 mix. I ran 32:1 in that any thicker all it did was make smoke and no power and ate spark plugs for breakfast

Back