Old vintage saws everywhere I looked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on the "whats left of the Dayton" 245a clone the other day. The crankshaft is buggered up at the keyway but I went ahead and picked up a flywheel off the bay anyway. I think it can be filed down enough to slip the flywheel on but I may need to tack some spots to help keep the keyway from wiggling around. I understand the tapered shaft means the keyway is only for alignment and the nut holds it in place. Pretty sure some rings are gonna be needed. Looking through exhaust the back of wall was shiny and intact. Dayton crankshaft keyway.jpegDayton crankshaft keyway 2.jpegDayton piston.jpeg

If it's anything like this CS500VL I picked up last year or the year before, CRS flarin up, then it will be a great deal. This saw is only just shy of 50 cc but its a pleasure to run. It came with 24" bar but it was just too big IMO so it has a 20" bar now. Part of a nine saw deal I got. I think if you search nine saws and my name you will find a thread on it. View attachment 947271View attachment 947272View attachment 947273
I love my old Echo 302S. Its actually one of my favorites.

@Brufab got me thinking about the SL4 from the estate pick. So grabbed it up and put it on the table, remember it fired with shot of mix. Pulled the muff and cleaned carbon, not bad either. Piston and cylinder look really good. Removed carb and was shocked at how pliable the diaphragms were and clean inside. Fuel line and filter in tank all good. Put it back together filled up tank, choked it, fired and running at idle and WOT. Amazed....
left side.jpegrt side.jpegpiston.jpegcylinder.jpegcarb pump side.jpeg

I found a 24" Husq bar in the gutter entrance to a 7/11 one day and painted it with Rustoleum 500 degree engine enamel, it's the closest match of what I have on hand. It won't be perfect, but it will no longer be hideous. Besides the saw runs really good so I expect its gonna get some work thrown at it, might as well be pretty.

Attachments

• paint matchup.jpeg
    paint matchup.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 2
@Brufab got me thinking about the SL4 from the estate pick. So grabbed it up and put it on the table, remember it fired with shot of mix. Pulled the muff and cleaned carbon, not bad either. Piston and cylinder look really good. Removed carb and was shocked at how pliable the diaphragms were and clean inside. Fuel line and filter in tank all good. Put it back together filled up tank, choked it, fired and running at idle and WOT. Amazed....
View attachment 965871View attachment 965872View attachment 965873View attachment 965874View attachment 965875
Heck yea! Loud and proud :chainsaw:

Getting some paint on this SL4. Would have preferred to break saw down to remove motor and paint all pieces separately but too many LIFE things are getting in the way so I had to punt on that idea. Sanded the saw, removed all oily residue, cleaned it again and taped it off. Used Rustoleum Automotive primer and the color is Rustoleum High temp engine paint Chevy orange 248941(supposed to be oil/gas resistant). would love a hotrod with a 350cu done up with chevy orange...guess I'll just have to settle for an SL4. HA! Hitemp flat black on the muffler, I did use etch&prime for that.clutch side cover1.jpegcovers and muff.jpegsaw primer 2.jpegsaw primer.jpegstarter cover paint.jpeg

Nice work! Looks fantastic!
Thanks Brufab. It's just a little bit better than being totally bare rusting and mag rotting away. Got the main body with paint on bottom and sides sitting in front of a heater now. Pretty soon I'll be on the hunt for a D size bar and chain setup per the Acres site. Pasting here for my quick reference....
Reference:
spacer.gif
Carlton:
spacer.gif
20/21
Oregon:
spacer.gif
D196, D096
Windsor:
ecblank.gif
UXL or TXL
GB:
ecblank.gif
HN

Getting some paint on this SL4. Would have preferred to break saw down to remove motor and paint all pieces separately but too many LIFE things are getting in the way so I had to punt on that idea. Sanded the saw, removed all oily residue, cleaned it again and taped it off. Used Rustoleum Automotive primer and the color is Rustoleum High temp engine paint Chevy orange 248941(supposed to be oil/gas resistant). would love a hotrod with a 350cu done up with chevy orange...guess I'll just have to settle for an SL4. HA! Hitemp flat black on the muffler, I did use etch&prime for that.View attachment 969163View attachment 969164View attachment 969165View attachment 969166View attachment 969167
I use the same color for Homelite saws, it's good paint.

I use the same color for Homelite saws, it's good paint.
I dont know around your way but no usual stores around here had any, multiple HD, Lowes, Walmart, Auto stores....I had a partial can of chevy orange on hand and had to order the last 2 cans Menards had shipped to me.
I may end up wishing I went with Ford red.

Back