Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the mystery about the 590? It's an absolutely typical, straightforward saw - it looks like a well executed product with the same technology developed decades ago. Echo decided to go after a particular market segment and undercut everyone, which they are in a good position to do as they don't have a large investment in new engine tech to pay off. This kind of stuff happens all the time in all sorts of markets - it doesn't mean they have some magic formula.

Hopefully ECHO will do the same thing to other market segments in the future.

I don't think they undercut as much as priced it where they could make a profit, as well as sell many: they've succeeded.

Hopefully ECHO will do the same thing to other market segments in the future.

I don't think they undercut as much as priced it where they could make a profit, as well as sell many: they've succeeded.
I guess the problem is they can't sell too many. They put cats on their high volume sellers so they can squirrel away enough credits to sell saws like the 590 without one. Husky and Stihl do this with strato and feedback carbs, putting these systems on the high volume saws so the high end pro saws don't have to have it, but Echo doesn't really play much in that end so the 60cc farm/ranch market is where they're spending their emissions credits. Anyway, depending on how the system is set up they might run afoul of the rules if they were too successful with the 590.

So far as I know Echo has put a cat on only CS550p which was the biggest Echo flop ever made. They get by emissions with clogged up muff and lean tuning both of which are a easy fix. Steve
The 550 was the only strato Echo made, and apparently didn't do such a good job. The 400 and I believe the 500P (?) has a cat.

The 550 was the only strato Echo made, and apparently didn't do such a good job. The 400 and I believe the 500P (?) has a cat.

You're right I got the cat and strato mixed up, the 550 was Echos only strato. way to heavy.. The CS400 and 370 come with a cat , the Cs500p, 490 and 590. 600, and 620 don't have one . Steve

Let them bash. All Echo did was put a good saw in a "hole" in the saw market. You can get a $200 Poulan pro 50cc or a $600 Dolmar or Husqvarna. Echo put theirs right in between. Smart move.
I wasn't really bashing - and that's pretty much what I said! It was a decent business strategy and may work well for them.

On the other hand there seem to be those who think Echo has found some design secret and can continue to get away without investing in new engine or fuel system technologies, but this is not realistic either. For now you can get a decent 60cc throwback design for less money, and that can be a good deal.

I wasn't really bashing - and that's pretty much what I said! It was a decent business strategy and may work well for them.

On the other hand there seem to be those who think Echo has found some design secret and can continue to get away without investing in new engine or fuel system technologies, but this in not realistic either. For now you can get a decent 60cc throwback design for less money, and that can be a good deal.
The problem with a "throw back" saw strategy will come from China..:)

The problem with a "throw back" saw strategy will come from China..:)
Exactly, and it's already here. It turns out anyone can get a saw to pass emissions with careful porting and a cat. Echo has a better name, and I expect they deserve it too, but how much will the typical homeowner who needs to cut a few sticks now and then pay for that? What about when money/credit gets tighter?

Next time you are Home Despot check out a Ryobi RY3716, or the 46cc "Remington" saw at Lowes. It's not this class of saw, but when they start eating into homeowner sales at the bottom it has an impact at other points of the market, both in terms of profits and margin, but also in terms of emissions credits. If Echo doesn't sell enough CS400's with cats they can't sell 590s.

I think much of what's been said here about the EPA stuff, should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless some of you work for the EPA and make the laws, I really doubt you really know what's going on and who can sell what and how many. Yes we may have an idea from reading on the internet, and we know everything in the internet is factual.;) Right now 590's are on the shelves, so it's obviously not a problem getting them passed the EPA what ever the reason, same with the smokey $100 Chinese pos all over the place. I also will ask a question, that will stir the pot a little. What if Stihl, Husky and maybe Dolmar overcompensated their designs, when they didn't really need to?? :cheers:

Ok now I'm confused. Three Echo saws. CS-590, 600, and 620. Price points in the $400, $550, and $650.

What do you get for the additional bucks per model? Seems like the 620 is the one in the market place dollar wise that matches up with a 562...how do they compare head to head?

Latest posts

Back