Overhaul the engine on the bucket or new bucket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treecutterjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Coolant in my oil so I figure is time for an overhaul. IH dt466e. Only has like 34k miles but I was adding it up and at 4 hours use per day × 5 days a week × 50 working weeks per year. That's 1000 hrs per year. It's a 2001 so I figure maybe 10,000-15000 hrs on the engine minimum.
Does that seem like rebuild time?

At 45mph that would be like 675,000 miles. I say your 466 has done well and is ready for some much needed attention.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Didn't think of it that way. That actually makes me feel alot better about it! Now I just need to find $6800 laying around somewhere :)

They are a wet sleeved engine. could be something as simple as sleeve leaking around o-rings on or head gasket. They are so common that overhauls aren't that bad as diesels go.

Yep. "...Number 4 liner is scored. Needs a works kit. .."
They said $6800 Is worse case scenario if they haveto do the heads and all. They said if they don't it could be less.

Do they know what caused scoring of cylinder #4?
If they offer injector replacement, do it. They may not give you a choice in the matter. One bad injector can ruin the rebuilt engine.

Any chance of finding a wrecked truck and doing an engine swap? I realize it is a gamble but the savings might justify it.

I thought about it, but I already have them the go ahead to do it. Is expensive but I feel like there is less risk involved.

It is good to know and address the root cause of failure. It is the difference between replacing parts and repairing. I'm sure you know that and the shop manager knows that. Sometimes you get a technician who is too busy trying to keep up with the work load and doesn't give a thought beyond the obvious bad parts in front of him.

You need to find out more about that year engine and see if there was a particular defect causing this. Make sure it dont happen again after spending all that money. Google the problem for that year. Also talk to about 4 or five diesel mechanics to see what you can learn about that issue it sounds defective. What year diesel?

I'm assuming that you keep up n your oil/filter changes? What was the interval? Not trying to blame you, but a lot of people neglect this and don't pay attention to the hours.

I don't have an hour meter on my bucket. I "inherited" it from my dad when he passed, but I don't think he was very meticulous about the oil changes. Trying to stay up on those kinds of things now.

Latest posts

Back