Piston weights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have to go into volume 2 [The next dimension]
Hey don't hold back - write a whole series! And don't let the editors change a thing - keep it real...

As soon as volume one is released I want a signed 1st edition. I'll even pay postage from that little island you are living on over there. Do they still have trees there?

Hey don't hold back - write a whole series! And don't let the editors change a thing - keep it real...

As soon as volume one is released I want a signed 1st edition. I'll even pay postage from that little island you are living on over there. Do they still have trees there?
lots of tree down south by the English channel where I'm at. It's very windy and rainy though. I think it's because London 'sucks and Paris 'blows'
It's a great climate for Western red cedar I mentioned. It was said it's an evasive species. So I said that's what I'm saying, it shall also do well.

lots of tree down south by the English channel where I'm at. It's very windy and rainy though. I think it's because London 'sucks and Paris 'blows'
It's a great climate for Western red cedar I mentioned. It was said it's an evasive species. So I said that's what I'm saying, it shall also do well.
Pure Gold Wbf... pure Gold. Get that man a typewriter.

Hope you are havin fun over there. Spring is just around the corner here (it BETTER be) and it can't come soon enough.

Don't even touch it. AM piston are generally lighter anyways and won't heat transfer nearly as well as it is. I have used fly weight open skirt pop-ups and ruined a good oem 50 mm cylinder. It was good for the first day when the trees were under 2.5ft The next morning I had a pile of bigger cottonwood close together all 3.5 to 4ft with a favourable lean. It made short work of the first 2.5 trees and then it said 'game over! Credit Zero! Play again! insert coin.
The sad part was I had a 266 xp OEM window piston in there that was just killing trees. I don't mess around anymore.
---------
I am assuming that would be a Looper style piston (open skirt?) If that's the case then it would be lighter than a solid piston I would think.

You can only blame the crank on those saws or youself if it falls apart.
You are dealing with a lower quality and you are beefing it up?
Some of those cranks may not be too bad but with the 372 they seemed to go together too tight with the case gasket they supply. That could have been about 6 years back though. The first one we tried on a ported 52mm and I punched it out on the second day also. I was going to sell it for him after trail. I did have one I ran for smaller falling and slashing with a ported 48mm. Then I used it with a ported BB on the coast and it held out. Probably 5-6 months on it then chucked it. That's right, she got f*ed & chucked.

That comes from rotational mass
The larger body of rotating mass = greater inertia. The bigger the rock the harder the stop, in theory. I would think more in terms of a bigger flywheel: rotating mass on an axis. and all other things equal (equal as can be) including RPM then It would be harder to slow down. Inertia = rotational mass. Torque= rotational force. A piston has a reciprocating motion and a little more or little less weight, one ring or two, my be more relevant/ noticeable to a few other things Imo than create any kind of inertia to speak off.. PfffffT. You gain here, you lose there. A generated flywheel has a magnetic ring and weighs a bit more but it's closer to centre of mass which travels a shorter distance per revolution. Maybe these things help a bit. It's a lot different if you had that same mass spread on the outside creating a greater centrifugal force opposed to being closer to a neutral centre of mass.

In chainsaw layman's terms.
It's all about the angle of the dangle that will stop thAt c*** dead.
Thanks for the great info

Back