Please recommend a chain saw for my needs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade my saw. I am currently using a husqvarna 136. I believe it has a 16 inch bar. It is about 18 years old. It was purchased because my brand new stihl farmboss was stolen before I finished a tank of gas in it. The husky as stood up well for my needs. I use it to cut up logs into firewood. I burn a solid 5 chords of wood. I have a splitter. I am looking for a chainsaw that is commercial use tough. I like to buy good stuff like scag or exmark mowers, redmax blowers and now need a chainsaw that is a solid performer. I imagine husqvarna or stihl. Can someone recommend one please. Thanks.

While searching the net, the 261 c-m seems like it could be a good fit. Is that the same as the 261c?

261 is a great all rounder saw for someone who isn't doing a ton of felling or bucking of big logs. Kind of stretches the definition of a 50cc saw.

That said a 562 is a bit bigger and also a good saw. Just depends on whether you need bigger.

C and CM mean the same thing.

If you want a somewhat larger saw, and want to save some $$$ the Echo CS-590 is a really solid 60cc saw, that is designed like pro saws with it's mag case. If you want a smaller saw and money doesn't factor in much, a good pro 50cc saw like the Stihl 261 is a wise choice, my Husky 550xp is warming up to me, but I just have my doubts about it's durability.

husky 555 is what I use for a similar type of workload you are describing. It will handle a 20" bar and I got a good deal on mine.

Took it woodcutting at my family's farm last weekend. Went with 7 other guys. An old 028, a few newer 029s, a 271, and some smaller stihls and my 555 ran the best out of the lot. I do realize that my 555 is at a different price point and build than the afore mentioned saws BUT for felling and bucking up 30" and smaller trees for 2 days straight it was such a joy to run.

just my .02

Look at Echo. Seriously. Bang for the buck, you're not going to get any better. Get one NIB from eBay - it will be cheaper than what you find at the local home owners' depot. Pull the carb limiter caps, do a muffler mod, and run the hell out of it. Maintain it well and it will last you for years.

My CS-490 (50cc) will pull a 20", 0.325 bar all day long. It's light and good on gas. @James Miller converted his from 0.325 to 3/8LP running an 18" bar and loves it. He also has a CS-590 (60cc) pulling a 24", 3/8 bar. I'll let him expound on that one.

Was at a local fair this weekend. One of the venders had husky 562xp for $569 with 20” bar and 372xp for $709 with 20” bar. Either saw would be more than adequate for what you have in mind.

Latest posts

Back