Please recommend a chain saw for my needs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at Echo. Seriously. Bang for the buck, you're not going to get any better. Get one NIB from eBay - it will be cheaper than what you find at the local home owners' depot. Pull the carb limiter caps, do a muffler mod, and run the hell out of it. Maintain it well and it will last you for years.

My CS-490 (50cc) will pull a 20", 0.325 bar all day long. It's light and good on gas. @James Miller converted his from 0.325 to 3/8LP running an 18" bar and loves it. He also has a CS-590 (60cc) pulling a 24", 3/8 bar. I'll let him expound on that one.
Look at Echo. Seriously. Bang for the buck, you're not going to get any better. Get one NIB from eBay - it will be cheaper than what you find at the local home owners' depot. Pull the carb limiter caps, do a muffler mod, and run the hell out of it. Maintain it well and it will last you for years.

My CS-490 (50cc) will pull a 20", 0.325 bar all day long. It's light and good on gas. @James Miller converted his from 0.325 to 3/8LP running an 18" bar and loves it. He also has a CS-590 (60cc) pulling a 24", 3/8 bar. I'll let him expound on that one.
This!!!! ∆∆∆∆∆

If I was going to buy another 50cc saw it would be a CS 490 500 or 520 Echo. My only complaint is at first they were kinda doggy, but after break in, muff modd and good tuning they run good. My 385xp Husky was doggy at first also but it cuts good now. Steve

That CS-501P X Series looks pretty nice! Wonder how they are getting 20% more power then the same size engine in the 490?

Here is a video showing the echo vs stihl

I don't understand. Why would you compare the 590 and 271? They're construction is different, cc class is different, they shouldn't even be running the same bar. That's one odd couple right there. Plunge cutting!?!???

I don't understand. Why would you compare the 590 and 271? They're construction is different, cc class is different, they shouldn't even be running the same bar. That's one odd couple right there. Plunge cutting!?!???

Perhaps it's a comparison based upon the cost of the equipment.

$XX gets you this in a Stihl.
The same $XX gets you this in an Echo.

Look at the performance gained for the same $XX if you buy the Echo instead of the Stihl.

Maybe??

Perhaps it's a comparison based upon the cost of the equipment.

$XX gets you this in a Stihl.
The same $XX gets you this in an Echo.

Look at the performance gained for the same $XX if you buy the Echo instead of the Stihl.

Maybe??
That's all that it could be, because there is no other comparison right?

I went with the Stihl 261 for $600 out the door. I'll let you know how it goes. I took a look at the echo last night at Home Depot and I like the fact that the Stihl is lighter and the reviews on here where excellent and saving a hundred and seventy-five bucks wasn't as critical to me in the long run. I can see where the echo is an excellent saw at that price point. The particular dealer I went to only carries one Husqvarna at this point, the 455 Rancher. I can't bash Husqvarna at all. The little 136 has worked flawlessly for the past 18 years and I will still be using it. Thank you to everyone for pointing me in the right direction on this purchase.
I think you made a great choice with the brand new Stihl 261!

I've bought four Echo saws in the last month. The CS-2511T and PPT-2620 are both fantastic tools and are going nowhere. I truly believe they are best in class.

The CS-352 is what it is. An affordable, quality tool that's super easy to start, fairly lightweight and easy to operate in general, and was readily available when I needed to buy a saw at the spur of the moment. It's a grocery getter. Doesn't really do anything that my Stihl 009L can't do except have AV and probably use less fuel. It's ok.
If money were no object, I'd trade it for something more pro grade with a similar or lower weight and more power in a heartbeat. And I may still do that, although I can't say that it won't be an Echo 355T or 361P.

I bought the Echo CS-490 because I got a smokin deal and needed an occasional use bigger saw and like the mag case on the 490. It's definitely an upgrade over a Poulan, which was never a consideration for me personally.
I've used it three times in the past couple of weeks to make the final felling cuts on some 20" cedars and then cut the stumps flush with the ground, and I think it'll do most everything I'd ever ask of it with a modicum of style.
But if I'd love to trade it for a Stihl 261 (as long as it didn't cost me anything). And if I thought I was going to be using it a whole lot more often I'd have probably bought the Stihl 261 in the first place.

To me the CS352 is a lightweight , give your 490 a long time to break in , They are doggy at first. Steve
If you're talking to me, I like the 490 just fine. It does everything I need it to.
Only time it ever lagged was with the full weight of a 20" stump sitting on it. But the cut was already finished. One of those square trees.
Just thought I'd give the 261 a little love though.

Now the 352 is ok. But the little 2511T can dang near do everything the 352 can, except cut at a slower rpm. And once I get up to about 8 inches I'm ready to skip over the 352 and grab the 490.
Wouldn't mind a bit more powerful in between. Hence the 355/361 thought.
I'm leaning 361P since I got the 009L for a semi-top handle compact chugger. And I like the old style long top handle like the 303/341, that you can get two hands on the center handle, better than the 355 configuration.

Ok guys, I have run about 8 tank fulls of gas through the new 261. I bought a stihl 2 in 1 sharpener and sharpened the chain 2 times. I am a little disappointed and have a whole new respect for my little husky 136. I have an oregon chain on the husky. I have the stock chain on the new stihl. Any thoughts on the stock chain? Is there a clear upgrade. I was cutting up big locust logs and no doubt the Stihl is faster, but not as impressive as I expected. Could also be that I need to get the hang of this 2 in 1 sharpener.

The 2 in 1 is is worthless IMHO I like this file guide, it will teach you how to hod a file and it keeps the hook correct. For the depth gauges a separate progressive guide is the only type that actually works correctly. They make them for .325 and 3/8 chain.https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-Husqvarn...505698103/24012032977?iid=232897437728&chn=ps

That said the saw will need some time on it to really come alive, a MM helps a lot too.

File-guide-2.jpg

Keeping the chain sharp is the key to any saw cutting good. You are averaging one sharpening to four tanks. Some people touch up the chain after every tank. I can tell a big difference after two tanks when bucking hardwood and locust is definitely a hard hardwood.

You have to find what works the best for you when it comes to sharpening. A dremel works best for me.

I got a guide with my ms362. I used it about 1/4 of one time. It now sits. I just went back to doing what I've always done; using files.

I haven't bought many used saws, but when I have the chains are a mess and don't even cut. I am not a good filer, but obviously better than many.

anyway, that saw should have lightning throttle response and speed in the cut (as long as the chain is sharp). I find that about the second sharpening on a new chain is when my chains really start to cut..

then I hit a rock or a wire or a nail and wreck the damn thing! Then I fight it to the end of the chain when it's cutting like crazy again with short teeth and long teeth everywhere.

farm saws...

Faster, simpler, less wear on you and equipment to have a 5 or 6 chains ready with a good grinder, but I come at this from a production stand point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestions. I would like to stick with Stihl or Husqvarna. It sounds like a 261c is a solid choice. What would the husqvarna competitor be? I am looking for the commercial grade of easy maintenance, readily available parts, and reliability. Although Echo is not terrible, I just don't recall it as on par with the other two brands. I plan on keeping the saw a while. I still have a 1987 scag mower. Granted I repowered it with a modern kawasaki motor about 8 years ago, but the design is solid and it always works. That is what I'm looking for. So, 5 cords or so may not be a lot of wood to those in the business, but I am looking for a saw that when I pick it up, it simply works. What is the husky competitor and how does it stack up to the stihl. Also, what size bar is ideal and versatile? Thanks

My MS 261 packs an 18” bar, mfg says it can handle a 20” but I think it is very balanced with the 18”. It is a solid performer, I gain more respect for it each time I use it. Never let me down, easy on fuel, sounds great, very smooth compared to some other saws I have handled.
They are a little costly but I have full confidence that it will be a saw that I pass down to my 10 year old son one day. Excellent bucking saw that won’t leave you wanting more power, no BS.
bb579f3444eaa89acf44b95aae58de4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back