Post up words of encouragement for Zogger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Our friend @zogger is not doing well. You will remember that he beat throat cancer last fall but has had a myriad of health issues since then and the Dr's cannot figure out why his health continues to decline. His body strength has declined so he needs to use a walker and he lost the ability to talk due to the radiation during treatment. He is in the process of moving into a nursing home. I went down to see him this weekend while he is still at home. It was very sad to see a man of only 68 years who used to be so active now confined to his chair.

Although he cannot talk, he can still read and write so I am asking you to please post something memorable about your interactions with him on the forum, or if you did not know him as well just words of support/encouragement. I will print these comments off and mail them to him.

Thank you.

I'll go first:

I first got to be friends with Mark during the time we were passing around the Leveraxe on here several years ago. Once he got my address he would occasionally send me a little care package with things like a pocket knife, moon pies, grits, and a South Carolina flag (my ancestors settled in SC prior to the revolutionary war). A few years ago I was in his area and stopped by. He and his girlfriend had studied up on Scandinavian cuisine and we spoke quite a bit about cooking in Minnesota versus Georgia. They welcomed me into their home and when I left, sent me away with a huge homemade sub and fixings for dinner on the road.

Mark has a huge heart and despite being a man of limited means, was always looking to help man and beast alike. His yard is also home to many cats and dogs, to my knowledge all of which arrived as strays or rescue pets. He also had ducks and chickens which he jokingly called "velociquackers" and attack fowl.

Zogger and I got connected about 9 years ago, when, somehow (?), the folks at Oregon picked the two us to evaluate their new 40 Volt, battery-powered chainsaws, back when that was one of the first of these new-fangled things available in this country. His review started with the term 'meme', and I had to look it up.
Variation on a meme: go six amps or go home!

In addition to both being good looking guys with beards, and color blind, we also appeared to share an appreciation for the heating value of limb wood: smaller diameter pieces that cut easily, fit neatly into stoves, avoid the need for splitting, and circumvent the waste of BTUs and biomass. Here on A.S., that became known as 'Zogger wood', and I have no intention of challenging him for that moniker.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hey-zogger-small-wood-haul-pics.246691/
My criteria, when I am really cutting small, is can I mow over it, or can I break it up in my hands once it is crispy dry. Anything above that gets sawed to size.

Although I can't find the original threads, I also recall an extended, Don Quixote-like quest to conquer 'oakzilla'; a very large diameter tree, left by his landlord (if I recall correctly?).
This past half year been all GIANTHUGEMOUNGOUS wood. I do have the branches from a decent sweetgum hanging around, I'll drag out the MIGHTY JAWSAW and make a pile of zoggerwood next week, and get some pics. . . Still putzing at busting up all the oakzilla, slow, tedious, the split pile gets bigger, the cut rounds pile gets smaller. Just that one tree is like two years normal cutting for me.
I lurves me some no splittin required wood.... of course now after oakzilla, 2 foot diameter looks like zogger wood, baby trees..

Hang in there Zog!

Philbert

Zogger and I got connected about 9 years ago, when, somehow (?), the folks at Oregon picked the two us to evaluate their new 40 Volt, battery-powered chainsaws, back when that was one of the first of these new-fangled things available in this country. His review started with the term 'meme', and I had to look it up.

In addition to both being good looking guys with beards, and color blind, we also appeared to share an appreciation for the heating value of limb wood: smaller diameter pieces that cut easily, fit neatly into stoves, avoid the need for splitting, and circumvent the waste of BTUs and biomass. Here on A.S., that became known as 'Zogger wood', and I have no intention of challenging him for that moniker.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hey-zogger-small-wood-haul-pics.246691/

Although I can't find the original threads, I also recall an extended, Don Quixote-like quest to conquer 'oakzilla'; a very large diameter tree, left by his landlord (if I recall correctly?).

Hang in there Zog!

Philbert
Somewhere, I have a picture of me standing on the oakzilla stump from my first visit to see him. It fell towards his house and narrowly missed a direct hit on the house. Limbs did tear a portion of the living room wall out. I also noodled and split a little bit of that tree last time I was there. Zog did split the rest of it before he got sick and it is all stacked behind his house for whomever lives there next.

I'll go first:

I first got to be friends with Mark during the time we were passing around the Leveraxe on here several years ago. Once he got my address he would occasionally send me a little care package with things like a pocket knife, moon pies, grits, and a South Carolina flag (my ancestors settled in SC prior to the revolutionary war). A few years ago I was in his area and stopped by. He and his girlfriend had studied up on Scandinavian cuisine and we spoke quite a bit about cooking in Minnesota versus Georgia. They welcomed me into their home and when I left, sent me away with a huge homemade sub and fixings for dinner on the road.

Mark has a huge heart and despite being a man of limited means, was always looking to help man and beast alike. His yard is also home to many cats and dogs, to my knowledge all of which arrived as strays or rescue pets. He also had ducks and chickens which he jokingly called "velociquackers" and attack fowl.
Fukc cancer, its done so much damage to my life personally so i have no qualms about this statement! May God give you the strength to overcome! Looking forward to your future posts.

I have not met him but I know what he is going through
I had esophagus cancer in 2000
They took 7in out and used stomach to rebuild
I was in the hospital at least one or two times a year for 9yrs after
The best thing I had going for me was my age. You heal better when younger
It was a tough road but my last checkup I’m clean [emoji106]

Hang in there buddy and I am also Mark

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

Hang in there Zog!

Philbert
Zoggerwood! That term will live indefinitely around here!!

Never interacted with you Zogger. But I have been thinking ad praying about you since last fall. I hope you can get on the other side of this thing with the doctor's help. Your road to getting back to the quality of life you had has some obstacles. Persevere, focus, and pray even if your not a religious man. I wish you the best. Tim G.

Ha! thanks. This past half year been all GIANTHUGEMOUNGOUS wood. I do have the branches from a decent sweetgum hanging around, I'll drag out the MIGHTY JAWSAW and make a pile of zoggerwood next week, and get some pics.

This is my busiest time of the year, plus I get the most whipped because of that. Having to mow at least twice a week all my areas, spray, and put the garden in and always fix mechanical stuff. Started ordering parts for the cj7 resto a couple weeks ago, shouldn't need much. Girlfriends ride, one of them, promised her we could get it going again. She hasn't shown a lot of interest but I bet once it is rolling again she will perk back up about it.

Still putzing at busting up all the oakzilla, slow, tedious, the split pile gets bigger, the cut rounds pile gets smaller. Just that one tree is like two years normal cutting for me.

Steve, guess what I saw in that one shed and forgot about. The MIGHTY JAWSAW, that thing is real and I had my hands on it. Alas, I laid it on top while I was digging out other stuff and forgot about it. You can go back and get it, its right under that great big wasp nest hanging from the rafters.

Well dunno the man, but best wishes... hopefully the Dr's figure out WTH is going on. One never knows when something jumps right up and bites you hard, all you can do is keep fighting and doing what you can do. Get well !

Zogger, I wish you all the best. You'll be in my thoughts.

I never met Zogger, but we interacted a lot when I was participating here regularly, and I always enjoyed it. It is hard to hear about someone I liked having such problems - as we get older there is unfortunately more of this, but it's still a hard thing.

Latest posts

Back