Poulan 25DS?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muffler Bolt?

How is the muffler on this thing still attached? The bolt in the center appears to be gone yet it feels solid?

Muffler Bolt?

How do I get there? Everything seems solid even thought the bolt is gone??? Should I pry on the outside cover?

How do I get there? Everything seems solid even thought the bolt is gone??? Should I pry on the outside cover?

Yes, pry the center out, it looks like one part but its not, keep pulling out layers till you see two bolts in the back

Muffler Bolt?

It is really stuck. I feel like I am going to wreck it. Maybe I should just run it and if it falls apart, fix it then...

that is cast metal it should not break do like locust says take a flat head screwdriver and pry it in a corner those mufflers are air tight so once that seal is broke it should pop off without any problem besides if you do happen to bend it or anything the covers are available as well as the screen

and if i have them on hand you may be looking between $ 0.25 to $ 1.50 per item

hope this helps while im at it i have side bar plates for this series if anyone needs any of them i have 7 on hand and running a special price on them $ 2.79 when they retail for $ 3.34 thanks
calvin

Sprocket pitch change?

This S25DA has a 1/4 pitch sprocket and it is very worn. Can I change this to a 3/8 pitch sprocket or does that goof with the power/torque? 1/4 pitch chain seems hard to find.

This S25DA has a 1/4 pitch sprocket and it is very worn. Can I change this to a 3/8 pitch sprocket or does that goof with the power/torque? 1/4 pitch chain seems hard to find.

Bailey's sells 1/4" chain or you can change over to 3/8 with no problem. That saw will take the 3/8 low profile chain. Can handle a 14" - 16" bar. If you change the sprocket you have to change the bar and chain. All 3 must match.

Ironically enough, my father just gave me his old S25DA he bought new in the late 70's. It is the 38cc one. He never did anything to it except put new sprockets on it. I couldnt' get mine to start either (after having been setting in the basement for 10 years), which i wanted to do before i spent more money on it.

I ended up taking the fuel filter out and air filter out (had rotted). I then tore the carb apart and put carb cleaner in ever hole i could find to soak the thing. I then blew the thing out with compressed air and put it back together (using old gaskets, which still sealed). Finally i put a new spark plug on it and after a little of cranking, it fired right up.

I also had to put a new starter pulley on it. The old one shattered when i tried cranking on it.

Ironically enough, my father just gave me his old S25DA he bought new in the late 70's. It is the 38cc one. He never did anything to it except put new sprockets on it. I couldnt' get mine to start either (after having been setting in the basement for 10 years), which i wanted to do before i spent more money on it.

I ended up taking the fuel filter out and air filter out (had rotted). I then tore the carb apart and put carb cleaner in ever hole i could find to soak the thing. I then blew the thing out with compressed air and put it back together (using old gaskets, which still sealed). Finally i put a new spark plug on it and after a little of cranking, it fired right up.

I also had to put a new starter pulley on it. The old one shattered when i tried cranking on it.

did you replace the filter yet?

I have one, but have not had time to put it in yet. Not going to actually run it until I get it back to full functioning order.

Muffler

You might take a small thin screwdriver and keep working it into the seam until it breaks loose.

You were right, I worked small screwdriver around the edges and it popped right out. It's an oily mess but only the center bolt is missing. All of it looks good and the piston looks perfect. Thanks for yours and lawnmowertech37's advice.

:cheers:

You were right, I worked small screwdriver around the edges and it popped right out. It's an oily mess but only the center bolt is missing. All of it looks good and the piston looks perfect. Thanks for yours and lawnmowertech37's advice.

:cheers:

If you pull the muffler completely off be sure to put some loctite on the inner screws. Those saws had a habit of vibrating them out and they get sucked into the piston chamber through the exhaust port. Makes the engine stop real fast. :(

I put the correct plug in and filler er up with fuel. Pulled and pulled and pulled, nothing...checked spark and it has lots of spark so I poured some fuel right in the carb. about 3 pulls later she took off and sounded good but as soon as it burned the fuel up she quite. Repeated again, same thing. I don't see any fuel coming in through the upper fuel line. Is this a carb problem or a fuel filter problem?:chainsaw:

What kind of shape is the gas cap in? These things have vented caps, try running it without the cap & see what happens. These are really simple saws to work on, but they are very well built. Change the fuel line & filter, put in a new plug, new air filter, new gas cap & you should be ready to go (maybe a $15 investment for all); lawnmowertech37 probably has everything you need.

What kind of shape is the gas cap in? These things have vented caps, try running it without the cap & see what happens. These are really simple saws to work on, but they are very well built. Change the fuel line & filter, put in a new plug, new air filter, new gas cap & you should be ready to go (maybe a $15 investment for all); lawnmowertech37 probably has everything you need.

Goof thought, I wouldn't have checked for that one...I can see though the hole in the gas cap. looks like about a 1/32 diameter hole.

Sprocket removal S25DA

Can I just put a plastic rod in through the muffle hole to stop the piston and put an adjustable wrench on the clutch piece to unscrew it and change the sprocket?:chainsaw:

Can I just put a plastic rod in through the muffle hole to stop the piston and put an adjustable wrench on the clutch piece to unscrew it and change the sprocket?:chainsaw:

Feed some rope thru the plug hole into the piston chamber to hold the piston. You risk damaging a ring going thru the muffler port. The clutch is reverse thread and usually has to be shocked off ie: impact wrench some of those poulans you could get off by using a drift rod and hammer hit at the right spot. Does it run yet?

Feed some rope thru the plug hole into the piston chamber to hold the piston. You risk damaging a ring going thru the muffler port. The clutch is reverse thread and usually has to be shocked off ie: impact wrench some of those poulans you could get off by using a drift rod and hammer hit at the right spot. Does it run yet?

Doesn't run yet but Lawnmowertech37 is hooking me up so once I get it running and burn through the last .250 chain I have with the worn sprocket I will likely switch to 3/8 low profile.

Thanks for the rope tip.:D

Guide Plates

Do you guys know how many guide plates are used on the S25DA? It only shows one on the IPL but my Jonsered 70E uses 2 so I am just wondering.

Latest posts

Back