Poulan saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well true lol but should it drain that much oil before you start it? Or just the nature of the old homelites?

I have a homelite xl on the shelf that needs a new b/c. Runs good (kinda cold blooded) but seems to have a few issues on that oiling system side (or maybe the nature of the beast). Anyways here's what it does....

Before the first start when I too off the fuel and bar oil tanks it immediately starts putting oil to the bar. I know its a pressurized tank oiling system and they can continue to oil after you shut them off but this occurs after filling the tank and will stop when it's about half empty.

Other thing is it doesn't seem to oil (bar gets hot and chain super tight) when the oil is below 3/4 full and you roll it clutch side down to cut a stump off. Once it cools chain loosens up to how it was.

Any advice? I'm kinda stumped which is why I started looking at a new "cheap/beater saw"

D'oh! Sometimes I miss the obvious on these things. About a year ago I had an older Homie that did the same thing. I think it was the XL but can't be sure. The problem was a small crack in the oil tank about half way down. I repaired it with some Seal All. It took longer to dis-assemble the saw, locate the crack and clean it for the repair than the saw was worth, but that's the way it is sometimes. The crack was so tiny it took a lot of looking to find. I found it by sealing off all the holes and blowing (low pressure) air into the tank to find the escape.

Maybe yours is also cracked? Best of luck!

dd

I have 2 poulan 1950s now. both are great little saws for what they are. pull the limiters on the carb and open up the muffler throw on a nice chain and itll do everything you need it to do. I also have a 4518 earthquake that is an animal after gutting the muffler and slotting the carb screws. A couple guys have posted seeing north of 200lbs of compression right out of the box!

Latest posts

Back