Ps in dolmar should be pos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take them back to your dealer or send them to us if you want. We'll do the warranty work if needed. All I need are the saws & original invoices from the dealer.

Can't beat this...........
:cheers:

Here we go but stone cold facts!
Anyone who thinks dolmar is the second coming of the folks in orange let me tell you, for the last 5 months I have done nothing but clean air filters/ CUTTIN Scott, your air filter sucks. We put in a couple of dolmars amongst many stihl's and Husquvarnas and exactly what the guys who tried this locally told me happened,dolmar is like a piece of look-a-like stainless steel, looks good but doesn't last. After a few short months of running 2 5100's for limbing on ultra the saw has no compreesion, has never idled right and sucks wasp nests up/ hint hint. We gave these saws a chance in an ohio summer and they burnt up. There is a reason folks in my part use saws that are orange and not red. Don't take this offensive if you sell them or occasionally use them, they are fast but blow their wad early! Oh and don't try to tell me I didn't mix the gas wrong or done some other elementary thing wrong.

Don't get to bent with me off the bat here. Just a few questions I have for you. Was it 1 saw or both have erratic idle and lost compression. What kind of wood was you cutting (green, dead)
I have posted about this before and some others have too. Its about finding fine dust inside of the airfilter. This is due to the seam of the 2 halves of the filter leaking. Beofre firewood season this yr I am going to seal them together and keep the dust out. 166 could this have been a possiblity here for this failure here? If so should it be somethig I should watch for now. I have about 20 tanks on mine.
Bob

huskystihl and 166

I bought a 5100 and 7900 in the fall from D&D Enterprises. Salem Indiana. I noticed when cleaning the air filter, the foam rubber that is sandwiched between the filter and the top of the carb had a notch cut out of it. This allowed air to enter the vent hole on top of the carburaetor. I ask my dealer if it was suppose to be this way? He said that he did it. His explanation was when the filter gets plugged the back side of the diaphram is starved for air,does not pump enough fuel, and the saw runs lean! He said the 7900 does not have this problem.
He seems like a knowledgeable fellow and has a big business out in the country. Most of his sales is chainsaws. I don't know if this will help or not. Have you ever heard of this modification 166?

that 'notch' is a depression in the foam made by the filter. if he cut a piece out of the foam that's inviting in dirt to the top of the carb.

I have to say I ripped mine off....brand new saw,
carb was impossible to keep tuned,removed foam circle,adjusted carb,saw has been awesome,getting run hard 3-5 days per week for a year and a half.
saw has cut so much firewood if it were to blowup tomorrow it owes me nothing.

next job I have 20 acres of tops to cut up,I probably just jinxed myself!!!!!

You have other saws, so quit pissing and moaning about mouths to feed. I doubt these 2 saws ruined your life and business, and if they did there is something wrong besides the saws. #### happens, get over it.

Do you hear that? Sounds like a drama queen.

I thought a couple of months ago you said you were done with this site but yet your still here. As far as pissing and moaning, do you labor in logs for a living? if you do you have my ear, if not than please shut your mouth! My gripes were about a saw and not some personal issue but you have quickly turned it into that.

Don't get to bent with me off the bat here. Just a few questions I have for you. Was it 1 saw or both have erratic idle and lost compression. What kind of wood was you cutting (green, dead)
I have posted about this before and some others have too. Its about finding fine dust inside of the airfilter. This is due to the seam of the 2 halves of the filter leaking. Beofre firewood season this yr I am going to seal them together and keep the dust out. 166 could this have been a possiblity here for this failure here? If so should it be somethig I should watch for now. I have about 20 tanks on mine.
Bob

To be civil, it was the first one that seized. The other is showing signs of weakness and is now taking four and five pulls to run after a couple minutes of shutdown to reposition ourselves. I don't ask a ton out these saws outside of limb and top as I drop,and yes I do have other saws reefer farmer but that is not the point. I bought a couple of saws to do a job and they failed there for they are fired, it's that simple

Here we go but stone cold facts!
Anyone who thinks dolmar is the second coming of the folks in orange let me tell you, for the last 5 months I have done nothing but clean air filters/ CUTTIN Scott, your air filter sucks. We put in a couple of dolmars amongst many stihl's and Husquvarnas and exactly what the guys who tried this locally told me happened,dolmar is like a piece of look-a-like stainless steel, looks good but doesn't last. After a few short months of running 2 5100's for limbing on ultra the saw has no compreesion, has never idled right and sucks wasp nests up/ hint hint. We gave these saws a chance in an ohio summer and they burnt up. There is a reason folks in my part use saws that are orange and not red. Don't take this offensive if you sell them or occasionally use them, they are fast but blow their wad early! Oh and don't try to tell me I didn't mix the gas wrong or done some other elementary thing wrong.

Burnt up two of em did ya, dayummm. Ole boy up in Charlestown West Virginia burnt up about 40 Stihls in one day a few weeks ago, true story. Yup lightening stuck the showroom, set the place on fire at 4.30am and the whole showroom cooked along with everything in it. He had a 40 foot Stihl display, all burnt to a crisp.

Back to your two 5100 melt downs post some pics of them saws, like to see whatcha talkin about. There are many factors that can cause a saw to score a piston/cylinder. I noticed you mentioned you didn't mix the fuel wrong but there are alot of other factors other than fuel mix that can cause a scored cylinder. Seeing you burnt up two 5100's within a few months yet no Stihl's or Huskies tells me those 5100's were running lean to begin with, why is the question that needs a answered. Seems your familier with the Stihl's and Huskies but was new to the Dolmars. My only question and you should know the answer is what Rpm's were those saws running? I seriously don't believe the 5100 is a POS, yours obviously had issues that needed addressed before they melted on ya. Since you had two of em score I tend to think they were set to lean where ya bought em.

Oppppppppps just saw where you said one fried, the other is still running. Good time to check the rpms on the one still breathing....

Last edited:
I've had the 361 for a couple months now and have to say it is not impressive, I truly feel the only reason it has a rep is because of this site,i'm sorry but it just is not the workhorse everyone thinks it is, i've ran lesser saws that are less money and equally impressive

Wow on 7-23-08 it was the 361.............ACL must be pain full ....

Sorry ya had trouble

I don't know about a 5100. but I love my Makita 6401. It cuts better than any other saw of that size that I know of. JR

Take them back to your dealer or send them to us if you want. We'll do the warranty work if needed. All I need are the saws & original invoices from the dealer.

Sounds like a Helluva deal to me. Way to go 166! :yourock:

7-01-08...........Must have been the pain meds ......

Would rep you if I could. I clicked on his link and did some reading earlier,pretty entertaining. Contradicts every compliment with complaints soon to follow. I recommend reading over his previous posts that Ultra has quoted from. He does not appear to suffer from CAD. It does look more like the pain meds.....or possibly the anger from withdrawl?

Latest posts

Back