Recommend a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there are some really good saws out there. I like my MS 290 and MS362, both with 20'' bars. They always start easy and run great and cut well.
I do like the MS 362 better only because it has a center drive sprocket. The Rim sprocket type wears a grove in the teeth and can make the chain hard to keep tight. The center drive sprocket last longer and stays in the grove, and is cheaper to replace. The rim type you have to replace the whole drum, but the center drive you just have to replace the sprocket and not the drum.
I also switched from bar oil to old used motor oil for bar oil. It seems to work just as well, if not better then regular bar oil. I think it may be working better. And it's free.

Center drive sprocket
21cuwqg.jpg

Worn rim drive sprocket
eh14xz.jpg

Most all of the saws listed here are great but heavier than what you have. And probably need. With your shoulder comment in mind get one that weighs about the same or less than yours for what u cut. 351 was a good saw. I'd not go too big for the amount and wood your cutting. I love my husky 346xp 50cc pro saw that has more power than the farm boss 290 that weighs over a lb more. But it costs more too. The bang for buck light firewood duty saw champ like ur cord amount suggests says you should by a Stihl ms 250 (251 now I think) for $299 when they're on sale. Great saw for 2-3 cord saw. My 81 yr old dad loves his and I'm impressed with it too after getting my big saw fix for an hour or two!

Stihl 271 or 291 in 18" or better a 261 with a 20" bar. A 20" bar weighs only a few ounces more and prevents some stooping over when limbing, hard on the back. My body is about worn out too, but I use 20" bars. The new 261 will almost cut like the old 361.

I find the 362 adequate but somewhat disappointing. I am on my second 261 and think it can do anything a 362 can do, just a little bit slower.

Stihl 271 or 291 in 18" or better a 261 with a 20" bar. A 20" bar weighs only a few ounces more and prevents some stooping over when limbing, hard on the back. My body is about worn out too, but I use 20" bars. The new 261 will almost cut like the old 361.

I find the 362 adequate but somewhat disappointing. I am on my second 261 and think it can do anything a 362 can do, just a little bit slower.

My 362 and 290 cut about the same speed. The 362 sports a bit wider curf then the 290. A few ounces does make a difference. I can tell by the weight of my saw if the gas tank is full or empty, and it only holds a few ounces of fuel.

Get a Dolmar 421. You don't need a 20" bar. I rarely pick mine up and I cut wayyyyyyyyy more than 3-4 cord a year. I grab my Dolamr 421 most of the time, my 5100s for medium duty and big wide stuff I have a Stihl 310 with a longer bar and a little hopped up. Not my favorite saw though. Very heavy and seems to be under powered for what I do. Moral of the story, the 421 is light, very well powered and runs a long time on a tank of fuel without killing your back.

"Walk of shame" at the dealer HAHAHAH been there, done that! I still think it is hilarious. First saw with a brake on it I ever ran engaged. Dang I thought I had broken the boss's saw. Took it to the dealer, click, he starts laughing, then he explained and so did I! Oh man, too funny....

One saw plan, 60 cc. Best for the buck, echo timberwolf probably. Best pro grade, no idea, i don't run much of anything besides huskies and poulans now, I gave away a good running stihl last month. Never used it. I have a ported husky 346 with an 18 on it that just rips, but that's 50 class, but something to consider, find a used one and port it or get it ported. Quite lightweight and.well..one of the best saws ever made. They guy I was working with that I gave the stihl to was hypmotize over that little husky, he goes like "WTF is that thing"?? HAHAHA I am a seasoned citizen now and pro jockey sized dude, so light and strong and easy to start is way up my list of "cool" when doing stuff.

I have a husky 357 but haven't rebuilt it yet, supposedly it's the same, just "more", 60 cc class. New, the 562xp would work, given you have a good dealer (based on what I have read).

Really depends on what you have to spend.

I always hate these threads, too many good saws. I loved my MS 290 with 18" bar for most of my firewood duty. The oiler quit working on the 290, so I through the 25" bar on my 660. Now the 290 is under the 68 Barracuda. Might get around to checking out the 290, but that 660 with the short bar is a blast to cut firewood with, Joe.

I hear ya rarefish! I like choices in my arsenal for that reason. That and I don't have to sharpen a chain in the field. Lol.
I also love my 7900 dolmar with a 20" bar. Until an hour passes and I have a 40-50cc saw to cut "16 or less wood. My back gives me a high five when I pick one of them up!

I always hate these threads, too many good saws. I loved my MS 290 with 18" bar for most of my firewood duty. The oiler quit working on the 290, so I through the 25" bar on my 660. Now the 290 is under the 68 Barracuda. Might get around to checking out the 290, but that 660 with the short bar is a blast to cut firewood with, Joe.

Heck yeah! Ported 660 with a 8 pin rim and a 20" bar makes me smile.

I ran Redbull661s ported 661 (if that wasn't obvious) with a 10 pin .404 rim and a 20" bar. That was also very fun :).

Hey Neighbor....

I found exactly the opposite. I traded a 261 for a 362, both using 16" bars. The 261 just kinda left me feeling empty inside.

Oh and pics of the 'cuda with saw underneath or it didn't happen. I always figured a barracuda could probably beat a farm boss. But I need proof! Lol
Ask and ye shall receive! Sorry to hijack the thread. The Cuda is a numbers matching Fomula S, 383, 4spd, convertible. Plymouth only made 64 of them, and last I checked the Registry, there were 12 known left. The engine is finished, trans done too, I have all new interior, lots of NOS chrome. Looking for a body guy to do the sheet metal that I trust. I started to put it in one of the high end Mopar restoration facilities ten years ago, but backed off because they had a 2 year wait. If I had of done that it would be finished and paid for instead of play work bench, Joe.

My brother is running a 351 I gave him 5-6 years ago, 1999 model and still goin' strong. Should have a lot of life left in yours.

The 351 was replace by the 353, then the 545. Metal case, pro quality saws. I'd get a 545 if needed.
Now you know why I gobbled up a 353 on e-bay for (shhhh... $230 shipped). All it needed was a bar and chain and a wipe down. It starts and runs very well, gets fabulous fuel economy, and I have a hard time putting it down and then picking up one of my Stihl 028 Supers.

One of my best friends paid $500(with sales tax) for his when new about six years ago. When he saw what I got and how much I spent, he knocked down three beers and bought me two in disbelief.

I like a 261 and a 461 those 2 saws will handle any tree you come across.

This is the set up I have ms260 and a 046 mag - both have muffler upgrades /carb tunes etc - 28 inch bar on the 046 and 18 on the ms260 The MS260 gets picked up and used 9/10 times when cutting firewood. I love the ol 046 its a mule of a saw ! just hurts my back after a long day

This is the set up I have ms260 and a 046 mag - both have muffler upgrades /carb tunes etc - 28 inch bar on the 046 and 18 on the ms260 The MS260 gets picked up and used 9/10 times when cutting firewood. I love the ol 046 its a mule of a saw ! just hurts my back after a long day
I think your sentiments are echoed by dozens here. That includes me. Only difference is that usually I pick up either the 026 PRO or the new Husky 353 as shown above. Both weigh about the same. If I had put an 18" bar on the 026 PRO, I may have never bought the Husky 353.

Back