Rescue Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Reaction score
Got to see a few rescue saws today on a 4 alarm fire in Spokane, Wa. Hope they show up in the pics as we could not get to close.

First is a JRed on the ground between the firefighters.
20130615_171000_zps19bd745d.jpg

Couple of Huskys on the other side of the fence.
20130615_171053_zps9ff74c11.jpg

Husky on the road behind the fire truck.
20130615_171610_zpsd866fc0a.jpg

Husky on the roof.
20130615_172721_zpsa8c428ba.jpg

Fire was pretty bad, lost the entire apartment complex and the restaurant next door suffered fire damage, not sure if anyone got hurt but a lot of folks are homeless tonight. Fire Dept. did a great job, responded fast and worked hard to keep the fire from spreading to other homes in the area, all much older historic homes.

20130615_170328_zps55c1b932.jpg

20130615_170045_zps1bf329ec.jpg

All those ladder trucks and they still gotta use a ground ladder cause the engine guys laid in right in front of the apartment. :msp_rolleyes:

Back to the point though, we use 460s at one of my departments with all of the cool rescue bits: Big pull start handle for gloves, full wrap with a tool holder, special air filter for the smoke and heat, carbide chain... if you think a dull chain cuts poorly, try cutting a tree with a carbide chain. It might work eventually, but only because the tree gets bored and starts to feel bad for you.

LOL the tree feels bad, I have to chuckle as you say that. Our fire department gets calls for trees down etc, and when I pull up and see someone trying to cut a tree up with the ventmaster, well...you're right the tree feels bad.

That's why we carry regular chainsaws, our Tower Ladder will have 2 chainsaws and 2 cut off saws.

Our department uses everything from carbide tip circle blades to regular

chain saws. I keep them all sharp, including the carbide chains. When sharp, carbide cuts trees OK, just not great.

The Stihl 460R Rescue saws are cocky looking all decked out..

I'm sure you could make any saw a rescue saw,but I didn't know Husky or Jreds made a saw specifically designated as a rescue saw?

The Stihl 460R Rescue saws are cocky looking all decked out..

I'm sure you could make any saw a rescue saw,but I didn't know Husky or Jreds made a saw specifically designated as a rescue saw?

I think Stihl is the only chainsaw manf that markets their own rescue saw. The Huskies and Jreds are usually outfitted by companies like Tempest or Cutters Edge using orange or red powerheads.

I think Stihl is the only chainsaw manf that markets their own rescue saw. The Huskies and Jreds are usually outfitted by companies like Tempest or Cutters Edge using orange or red powerheads.

Echo used to make a rescue saw based of the cs8000. I am sure that they were normal pro chainsaws outfitted with carbide chain, all had shorter bars looked to be 20 inches or less.

A CNN Reporter at the seen today said had the rescue saws been stihl the house would have been totally saved
they just couldn't get the huskies started ay:bang:

A CNN Reporter at the seen today said had the rescue saws been stihl the house would have been totally saved
they just couldn't get the huskies started ay:bang:

It's funny you say that, we've had a couple times where our Stihl's wouldn't start. It was guys who knew small engines pretty well starting them at the time too. Luckily it was during training or the weekly running and not at an incident, and we have multiple of everything. The old (15 years maybe...) Huskies seemed to start well, although we replaced them soon after I hired on.

We have the Stihl MS460 rescue saws, other than sometimes not starting they work pretty well...

Skool Nat ay
I wuz juss being a smart arse yeah
and thankyou for being mate
you blokes are on my Hero, list
My elder brother is a firery yeah

Local fire departments request quotes on 2172's with wrap handles, hard tip bars, carbide chains and a depth gauge (if you can find one or have one made). Seems to be the preferred saw with Florida fire departments.

Latest posts

Back