Seriously now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawn-cutting is a major job requirement now. Failing to cut across a lawn is a firing offense, no kidding. The Lansing Post Office actually pays supervisors to drive around looking for carriers who walk on sidewalks to write them up. How about we lay off the supervisors and hire one more carrier so the carriers have time to walk on the sidewalks?
Still, I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to cut through a hard hat zone.

Makes sense cause when they just walk through like that don't.
When I play back all these close calls in my head... ooof. I am more apt to kill another rather than myself.
When I read the incedent where a HO got sucked into the stumper I could just picture the lackadaisical manner with which the crew must have been operating. I have seen it time and again. Just working, talking to the HO, shootin the ****, everybody getting comfy then BAM something goes slamming off the side of the house, luckily it slows down down before it gets to the guy standing there thinking about something else. Then I start hollering and someone says " Relax". I don't know but something about the word relax makes me do the opposite.
The new rule is that non-crew members have to wear a road cone on the head if they are going to be standing around. We put those cones on vent caps and light post so we knows not to hit them.

Makes sense cause when they just walk through like that don't.
When I play back all these close calls in my head... ooof. I am more apt to kill another rather than myself.
When I read the incedent where a HO got sucked into the stumper I could just picture the lackadaisical manner with which the crew must have been operating. I have seen it time and again. Just working, talking to the HO, shootin the ****, everybody getting comfy then BAM something goes slamming off the side of the house, luckily it slows down down before it gets to the guy standing there thinking about something else. Then I start hollering and someone says " Relax". I don't know but something about the word relax makes me do the opposite.
The new rule is that non-crew members have to wear a road cone on the head if they are going to be standing around. We put those cones on vent caps and light post so we knows not to hit them.

I think about that post a lot when I grind stumps too. Had one woman tell me that she was going to rent a stumper and hire her 19 YO nephew to do the stumps on the trees I removed for her. I related that story to her and she decided to go ahead and let us do it.

I like the conehead idea...Only thing is I would be the one having to wear it most of the time if I had that rule... :hmm3grin2orange:

I think about that post a lot when I grind stumps too. Had one woman tell me that she was going to rent a stumper and hire her 19 YO nephew to do the stumps on the trees I removed for her. I related that story to her and she decided to go ahead and let us do it.

I like the conehead idea...Only thing is I would be the one having to wear it most of the time if I had that rule... :hmm3grin2orange:

being a guy who rents the rg 50 from time to time the thought is crazy its so easy to get ahold of one. I was surprised they gave me one, much less the maneating morbark 18 incher, the lift alls and such. You know, just getting these things down the dam road ain't too easy.
The guys at the rental place do actually not rent the bigger stuff out to HO's. They have a rather half decent system of weeding you out if you are mickey mouse and just say the big stuff is for contractors. I asked them about it and that is what they said. Anybody can get a bobcat with attachments though and the stumpers are all pretty much as dangerous

Again I'm with "The Dan" on all counts. I love the cone on the head treatment. I have had many close calls with people not paying attention and when I finaly freaked I got the same relax treatment.

relax Dan.....

I never hit anyone that didn't deserve it......

Don't call me Francis. Nah, I just relax, then they get all mad cause I'm stting in my truck, I say " didn't you just tell me to relax?" Then they call the boss who calls me and asks what the problem is and all the sudden the guy who just told me to relax is getting upset.

Last edited:
I was working in a school yard once and this bloke walks right through my cones and under the tree. I asked him to stay outside the cones, he replied "It's alright I'm a teacher". What hope have the kids got?
Another time I was over a footpath and a mother and daughter came along mum steps over the cones and the girl stops. I said very good keep that up and one day your mother may understand what the cones are there for.

Don't forget the homeowners favorite line, "what can I do to help?" I just want to tell them go the f away but they still have to write the check. I usually give them the dragging duty or lugging the logs up the hill. That puts them off real quick.

Another time I was over a footpath and a mother and daughter came along mum steps over the cones and the girl stops. I said very good keep that up and one day your mother may understand what the cones are there for.

I find most children (13 and under) go around the cones the safe way. Adults are the worst for just walking through.

-Matt

Don't call me Francis. Nah, I just relax, then they get all mad cause I'm stting in my truck, I say " didn't you just tell me to relax?" Then they call the boss who calls me and asks what the problem is and all the sudden the guy who just told me to relax is getting upset.
Wow dan sounds like your a real tree diva, but thats typical of a climber ,lol

I find most children (13 and under) go around the cones the safe way. Adults are the worst for just walking through.

-Matt

Ducking under ropes and CAUTION tape...

I don't know, these jobs aren't mine, this really don't happen to much on my jobs.

I just stop working when a non crew memeber enters my "danger" zone. Sometimes I'll call down and ask if they are "stupid or something".

Heck, I get paid by the hour :laugh:

I said very good keep that up and one day your mother may understand what the cones are there for.

Bravo!

Don't forget the homeowners favorite line, "what can I do to help?"

"Sorry, my insurance would drop me if I got caught allowing a non employee to help."

Well I guess alot of people would really go for broke, not me. no sense. The actions we take are derived not from just any BS but from sound judgement and awareness ( well maybe some are winging it)- never take for granted what appears to be normal. Its best to keep the widest safety margin you can muster, the work involved in doing so will save you in the end.
Roads, Homeowners, kids and pets. I recall being sent to deadwood these oaks right in front of a community pool in broad daylight. Well everbody got busy and all( chipper running limbs falling) but I was walking round thinking like maybe the people walking by in swim suits wasn't a good idea.
I finally got to the bottom of it and we broke camp and rolled. I don't really know why a crew would be sent there that time to prune trees.

One reason I blew my top was cause these guys were so lax. How they acted invited this kind- o- malarky.
I say " serious now" now because I think of signs I used to see " do not bother operator".
That is what should be on the shirts, for one it answers a bunch of stupid questions don't it? I should say rather than answers but squashes stupid questions which at the wrong time have proven quite undesirable to me in my endeavours beleive you me, no joke.
I hate to hit a foul but when it comes its not just me swinging the bat all the time. A guy up there like that has to much to do. Sometimes I do get quite curt- no changing that.

i recently did a job where we parked a 200 ton crane in the intersection of 4 roads the crane spread its legs and lifted its self up to level out and it blocked everything, each road into the intersection was able to be got into from other roads and we blocked no ones drive way, i hired 4 extra guys to stop people driving through under the crane but the poor guys were totally ignored the cones got driven over and people insisted on driving through, when i seen the first lot of cars i let rip at the guys, i normally climb but i thought i better stay on the ground and just keep my eyes peeled and i was glad i did cause i could see that no matter what the guys did they couldnt stop these idiots, it got to the point of using the digger that was handling material from the crane to chase people out of the drop zone, people in flash cars dont like it when you drive at them in a digger that resembles a tank with a arm of death on it haha. but no matter what we did we couldnt stop these idiots, we parked trucks in the roads and they just drove on the foot paths. it just goes to show you that people no longer have common sense.

by the way its not wise threating people with a digger, the police really dont like it haha.

i recently did a job where we parked a 200 ton crane in the intersection...

When you are going this far, then honest to god barricades are what is needed. In my area you need permitting to close a rode like this, and you can get a cop there too if you have chronic safety problems. I was on one where they parked an old cruiser with lights on, that worked pretty well.

As for crew safety culture, it can be a trying thing as a sub. As i said above, i will stop what i am doing as soon as I see a nonworker in the drop-zone. I train the crews to yell "STOP!" if they see anything, and some of them make it fun by all coursing in to embarrass the violator.

I love hearing that other people encounter the same kind of brainless members of the public that I do. I reckon Darwin got it wrong ya know. If evolution is how we developed and primitive man was that stupid all our great great great's would have been lion tucker!

Had a post storm clean up to do at a large bakery. 200 plus employess so we go on Saturday to avoid them. The maintenance guys had stacked the branches out of the way and all we had to do was chip em. I tell my offsider "put out both signs and all 16 cones". He looks at me like I'm nuts but he doesn't know what I know. We crank up the chipper and are about to start feeding when I see what I expected to see. I tap my offsider on the arm, he looks around and there is a brainless cleaner walking right through our work zone with some cardboard boxes to crush. I wave her off and tell her to walk around. She looks at me and says "What? All the way around?". It was a journey of perhaps an extra 30 metres.......

Mind you, this is the same cleaning crew that wanted to cut up the branches with a circular saw and put them into the "cardboard only" recycling bin.....:dizzy:

Heck one ho let the 3-4yearold walk right around when i was using my 026 bucking a tree we just droped like it was nothing. We politely asked them to watch the kid but nope its not the kids fault they dont know oh that saw can kill me. :(

ok, i can't resist. early on in my career, we were chipping debris from the curbside, across the sidewalk into the ho front yard into a plywood barrier. sidewalk was coned on either side and up walks a woman pushing a baby in a stroller, around the cones and almost through the path of chips!!!unbelievable! we, of course stopped, and just shook our heads...:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back