Show us your stumps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victory! Well, mostly.
It was quite a struggle and I almost gave up, being unable to even move this thing for quite a while. This had 3 maybe 4 pretty good size "shoots" growing out of it.

Worked at it with a "ripper tooth" for a day or so. Could not move it. Put the bucket on and dug around it as you can see. Still not a millimeter of movement.

Was about to resort to pressure washing it and going at it with a chain saw, but put the tooth back on. Several hours later I finally got it free. Very few roots were cut that time, but lots of large rocks and tight damp dirt.

Getting that puppy out, is another matter entirely. As you can see it is a smaller machine and that root ball seems to weigh more than the machine does. No matter how I go at it, it lifts the bucket, even with counter weight, or, in reverse lifts one rear wheel or the other, depending on how I approach it.

Looks like the power wash and chain saw is still on the menu.
20230622_112145 (Medium).jpg20230622_112202 (Medium).jpg20230622_112230 (Medium).jpg20230622_112432 (Medium).jpg20230622_112452 (Medium).jpg

Victory! Well, mostly.
It was quite a struggle and I almost gave up, being unable to even move this thing for quite a while. This had 3 maybe 4 pretty good size "shoots" growing out of it.

Worked at it with a "ripper tooth" for a day or so. Could not move it. Put the bucket on and dug around it as you can see. Still not a millimeter of movement.

Was about to resort to pressure washing it and going at it with a chain saw, but put the tooth back on. Several hours later I finally got it free. Very few roots were cut that time, but lots of large rocks and tight damp dirt.

Getting that puppy out, is another matter entirely. As you can see it is a smaller machine and that root ball seems to weigh more than the machine does. No matter how I go at it, it lifts the bucket, even with counter weight, or, in reverse lifts one rear wheel or the other, depending on how I approach it.

Looks like the power wash and chain saw is still on the menu.

Actually, this may prove to be my excuse to buy that Maasdam Rope Puller I have been dreaming about. Pull and back fill as I go. Great minds think alike, I guess. Oh, wait, I'm talking to myself. But still . . .

Stihl can be detached from the guide bar in such a situation so as not to damage it, but saws with an external clutch cannot.I had such a situation, the trunk was crooked and the posts in the middle surprised me by bending very quickly. See the third cut at the very top under the rope 😉

Stihl can be detached from the guide bar in such a situation so as not to damage it, but saws with an external clutch cannot.I had such a situation, the trunk was crooked and the posts in the middle surprised me by bending very quickly. See the third cut at the very top under the rope 😉
Loosen bar, take bolt cutters to chain, remove powerhead. Chains are cheap, tie links even cheaper... chainsaws not so much

Didn’t realize how old this thread is oof I already wrote it so. This was the first tree of decent size I cut down I was hitting with a stick to see if I could knock some Hangers* loose and the back caved in and so I started prying dead wood off the back to see if it had any good wood then it started very slightly wobbling. Considering the dead part was towards my neighbors fence/house I figured it would fall that way so I cut it down. Could’ve made my face cut more shallow but oh well. Not the best first big tree was not as scared of it as I should have been probably. I got my first chainsaw like two weeks before and had been practicing on smaller treesCA031273-6E27-401A-9D3B-B72E732EC423.jpeg2DDBA3E6-6BE9-4C2B-9BD1-A938F0E67B50.jpegF59F918C-946B-4059-9AF1-17CD5DF9A165.jpeg64102FC1-2132-4F6E-A6A8-1AE6FF7EE871.jpeg73321AB9-DFFA-44E6-ACDD-056A4DF7A2B6.jpeg699A6D5E-47B0-44C0-9359-457A9AE401E8.jpeg

Yeah, but the husky in the picture looks to be a 562 those have an internal cluch as does the 572( can't tell what it is on my crackerjack phone looking a picture of a Polaroid lol).

Back