So, what's your day job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYSP retired, 22 years. Now I farm, raise sheep, fix saws. Homeschooling 2 kids too. I was better off on the road!

Sounds like you're working pretty hard for being "retired"!! Glad you stayed safe for so long to enjoy all that hard work though. Nice collection of saws listed.

Hey all, I have really enjoyed reading what I can in this thread. I have lost track of it for a couple of weeks because of my seasonal work setting up the Yukon Quest a 1000 mile International sled dog race running from Whitehorse Yukon to Fairbanks Alaska. I work for the local power company 7 months a year as a Utility Arborist and Foreman of a Mechanical reclearing crew that uses Kershaw Klearway 10-10's, a 500 and a Skytrim. I do side work out of a pickup climbing for removal as much as possible with occasional prune jobs and the odd, small land clearing jobs and firewood on the side. I spent 4 years on a hot shot crew here in alaska before and worked grunt jobs on construction crews before that. Check out the Yukon Quest online when you get a chance we are at halfway in Dawson Yukon right now about to head down the Yukon river towards Eagle and Circle we have gps trackers on all of the teams so that you can watch their progress in real time. We are a non profit organization that puts on a dog race. Its easier than herding cats maybe but its a pain when its -40

Better watch that leg, looks like it's getting ready to do something.

He is locked down in the head gate and I have his tail twisted pretty good. The biggest risk for me is a stomp on the top of the foot. I normally wear catcher's shin guards, if you stay close they can't develop much power. I do have a mass of displaced muscle on my right thigh from this line of work, that was my only permanent damage in 20 years of doing it.

I work for a telco maintaining and repair of all our outside plant. Anything from copper and fiber cables, electronic mux's and the power units to the air dryers we use to keep the cables pressurized.

I had a ton of other jobs before this one. Been doing it for almost 19 years. All to keep the ones and zeros cruising along.

I work for a telco maintaining and repair of all our outside plant. Anything from copper and fiber cables, electronic mux's and the power units to the air dryers we use to keep the cables pressurized.

I had a ton of other jobs before this one. Been doing it for almost 19 years. All to keep the ones and zeros cruising along.
Lots of zeros out there. Need more ones....

I was a phlebotomist in the icu's and emergency department at the mayo clinic in rochester for 3 years, then in january i bought a gas station in the small town i live in and quit the hospital scene.

I was a phlebotomist in the icu's and emergency department at the mayo clinic in rochester for 3 years, then in january i bought a gas station in the small town i live in and quit the hospital scene.
My sister used to do that. She hated it when people came in burned not knowing where to start.

Chainsaw mechanic for a Husqvarna dealer. Well, mechanic in general but specialize in two strokes. We are a dealer for Husqvarna, RedMax (just picked up, woohoo!) Echo, Shindaiwa, Bearcat, Honda (also just picked up) Billy Goat, Tru Cut, Little Wonder, Ryan, and eXmark. Currently working on getting another mower line (hint: they are painted gold and known for innovative design and cut quality).

Joe

I'm a pipeliner for now but that work will soon be dried up due to low oil prices. One the pipeline I'm usually doing directional drilling but I can fill in wherever. From here I will probably go to civil work, hopefully road building. I wouldn't mind having a normal job and sleeping in my own bed any way.

Sorry for the really late reply been working 12's 7 days a week I live near gwynns island. And to answer question JBA. The crew im on we dont have a tolerance its got to be as close to perfect as we can get it.

A bit of work I've done about the estate here in Ireland:

159125257.tnRMRWHa.044ontopbeech.jpg

Last job before retirement A380 air bus aircraft assembly, working back Airbus A320, Boeing 777, 767, 747, Lockheed SR71 Blackbird, & a good few in the McDonnell Douglas range

I fix broken farm equipment. From April till October. I spend my time in the fields making repairs. I carry a touch, welder and my tools with me in my service truck anywhere from right down the road to 250+ miles away. In the winter months it's mostly shop work with the occasional service call.
This was a Big square baler last summer. I had to replace the pickup frame under warranty. This was two hours away in Jersey. I put more hours in than I care to in the summer.
IMG_20140820_104010_281_zpsc30cu6xa.jpg

I have a few pictures of a job I did in West Virginia last summer. We made two shots at this site. First one went from the drill to the spot of bare dirt on the hill at the top of the picture. The second shot went from the drill to where I was standing- actually about 1000' past there but the exit was beyond the line of sight. The second shot was 1900' with about 300' of elevation. The other picture is of the operators' doghouse. If you are going to run a drill, this is the one you want to run. As you see, the guys were really hustling that day.:laugh:

Ok, let me try the picture again

Attachments

• 20140912_112503.jpg
    20140912_112503.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 27
I'm a pipeliner for now but that work will soon be dried up due to low oil prices. One the pipeline I'm usually doing directional drilling but I can fill in wherever. From here I will probably go to civil work, hopefully road building. I wouldn't mind having a normal job and sleeping in my own bed any way.

I dunno, some guys love traveling and running from place to place. I always liked to work in different places. The change of scenery was great.

Latest posts

Back