So, what's your day job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired in 09 , spent 37 years at the phone co, doing various jobs all over the province of B.C.
Always had my hands in the toolbox, enjoy anything mechanical. Ride ATVs and Motorcycles, enjoy a hike and a walk.
Enjoy going in the bush to get wood and hunt or just to get out.
Saws are a great hobby for me, there is no money in saws!!
Some very interesting people on this thread.
BBB

I am the Woodsman on the Gurteen De la Poer Estate on Suir at the border of Waterford and Tipperary counties in south-eastern Ireland. We're on the Waterford side of the River Suir.castle fog deaux.jpg covered lane 1920.jpg pigs and goats.jpg redwoods vs spruce.jpg gurteen farm fros 1920t.jpg pano1.jpg chestnut near castle.jpg beech first day.jpg
I maintain the woods, the forestries, the firewood, and the chainsaws. It is also a working organic farm(mainly for tax purposes), so I get to feed animals and chase them back into their paddocks on occasion. The Estate surrounds the old Castle De La Poer.

I was a diesel/truck mechanic for 25 years, but this last September I left that occupation to work on forklifts for a large warehousing company. Technically, I'm in fleet maintenance, so I still work on a truck now and then. Things had gotten sour with the ownership at my old company and overall, the transportation industry is pretty raw. It's hard to find a day job in trucking, and a lot of companies do not pay overtime over 40 hours. The stress level is waaayyyy down at my new job, and I don't have to spend all day outside getting trucks running when it's below zero out. It was hard to give up 4 weeks vacation, and to start over being the new guy with lots of new stuff to learn.
How was being a diesel mechanic? I know times have changed but I'm debating on weather or not to pursue that career.

I'm a self employed arborist, landscaper and instructor. Summer month's consists of maintaining green area's, and the winter month's are spent pruning, treefelling and holding safety courses.

Also besides working in hockey I have a side auto detailing gig I do out of my garage. Started out detailing our rigs cause I like it and then figured I could make some decent side money when people started wanting me to do theirs. Just a word of mouth kind of thing.

Before
20140503_101855.jpg

During
20140503_123926-1.jpg

After
20140503_161934.jpg

How was being a diesel mechanic? I know times have changed but I'm debating on weather or not to pursue that career.
As you might guess, I'm pretty jaded on the whole truck mechanic thing. I actually made it almost 26 years in that line of work. Honestly, most people don't make it much past diesel school. I've raised my family on it, I can fix most anything. If you become good at it, you'll always have a job. I've never been laid off a day in my life. You can't just think you're good at fixing stuff. You need good reading, writing, communication and computer skills. You have to enjoy continually learning new things. After school, the initiative to learn is mostly all up to you. You don't start out making much money, but you will need to build up maybe a 10 to 15 thousand dollar set of tools. If you don't start out at a good place to work, you can get stuck doing grunt work and never getting the chance to progress in the field. As I said, transportation companies don't have to pay overtime, trucks are mostly back at the shop on nights and weekends, so that's when you'll likely end up working. If you work at a dealership or independent repair shop, the competition in certain areas can be brutal. Labor rates for repairing your ATV, boat motor, or snowmobile by usually some young punk kid is over $100 an hour. People think you screwing them for charging even near that much for working on their $120,000 truck. If you work for an actual trucking company, YOU WILL BE AN UNWANTED NECESSITY. Also, it's hard, dirty, dangerous work. At 46 years old, I wanted to make a change before I was too old to get hired for anything else. I do probably have a little higher standard of living than someone with no skills making the same amount of money. I spend much less on vehicles and all kinds of repairs than most other people. Also, I was lucky, I worked Monday through Friday day shift, for the last 21 years.

The first rule in being good at something is...YOU GOTTA WANNA. To make it in the truck repair industry long term, you gotta wanna...real bad.

P.S. Don't take my negativity too seriously, work is work, we've been doing it ever since the fall of Adam and Eve. We're meant to work. Work is it's own reward. It's just nice to be appreciated a little.

Good luck.

As you might guess, I'm pretty jaded on the whole truck mechanic thing. I actually made it almost 26 years in that line of work. Honestly, most people don't make it much past diesel school. I've raised my family on it, I can fix most anything. If you become good at it, you'll always have a job. I've never been laid off a day in my life. You can't just think you're good at fixing stuff. You need good reading, writing, communication and computer skills. You have to enjoy continually learning new things. After school, the initiative to learn is mostly all up to you. You don't start out making much money, but you will need to build up maybe a 10 to 15 thousand dollar set of tools. If you don't start out at a good place to work, you can get stuck doing grunt work and never getting the chance to progress in the field. As I said, transportation companies don't have to pay overtime, trucks are mostly back at the shop on nights and weekends, so that's when you'll likely end up working. If you work at a dealership or independent repair shop, the competition in certain areas can be brutal. Labor rates for repairing your ATV, boat motor, or snowmobile by usually some young punk kid is over $100 an hour. People think you screwing them for charging even near that much for working on their $120,000 truck. If you work for an actual trucking company, YOU WILL BE AN UNWANTED NECESSITY. Also, it's hard, dirty, dangerous work. At 46 years old, I wanted to make a change before I was too old to get hired for anything else. I do probably have a little higher standard of living than someone with no skills making the same amount of money. I spend much less on vehicles and all kinds of repairs than most other people. Also, I was lucky, I worked Monday through Friday day shift, for the last 21 years.

The first rule in being good at something is...YOU GOTTA WANNA. To make it in the truck repair industry long term, you gotta wanna...real bad.
Thanks for the reply. And I couldn't even begin tell you how many times I've been told "You have to want it to be successful" like you said above. I enjoy working on most anything with a motor; especially diesels. Only old ones so far. I can only imagine how complicated the newer ones get with the emissions crap on them and stuff. That's where the education and schooling pays off. If i did go this route, sooner or later I'd want to own my own shop.

I saw some of that 9ft tall stuff one time.we had to use limb loppers to top it.wasnt any fun to cut it spear it or hang it.a stick of it had to weight 125lbs. At one time my uncle borrowed my dads tanaka weedeater and put a skilsaw blade on it to cut it.:laugh:
that is what happens when you put down to much ammonia or 19-19-19

Latest posts

Back