Solo brand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone own one of these saws? Found a local listing of a 633 top handle model. Wondering about their durability and parts availability. Thanks all!

I do.
Durability? Pretty darn good- built like wee tanks.
Parts availability? Jury out on that one- near 0% here, but might differ over there.

They are a solid wee brick (read heavy) and perhaps a tad underpowered when compared to the competition (read Stihl 200T). In my opinion, suited to a 12" bar and that is about it.
Nice saw to have a a backup saw to your number 1 climbing saw, if the number 1 should fail in the last hour of the day and you need to get a job finished.

I had a 633 top handle and have the 640 rear handle version. I’ve found no parts other than carb kits, air filters, screws and other small parts. No p&c parts. These have spring buffers where the coarse-thread anchoring screws go into plastic. No embedded metal inserts. These screws can work loose and strip out the plastic. That was the only thing that went wrong with my 633, fixed it with thru-bolts and double nuts.

Thanks guys! Yeah, based on that info I’m going to pass. Not worth the 200.00 asking price in my opinion. Would be a fun toy if it was 50.00
As in $200 American Dollars!!!?
Think I paid $60NZ for mine, that works out to be about $40 USD- which I would consider pretty reasonable for a used example.

As in $200 American Dollars!!!?
Think I paid $60NZ for mine, that works out to be about $40 USD- which I would consider pretty reasonable for a used example.
Yes, 200.00 American dollars. The guy seems reasonable on his other listed saws though. Guess this one is overpriced, eh?! Yeah, $40.00 seems reasonable (maybe a little light) but, then again, I don’t know their price new. Are they still made?

Yes, 200.00 American dollars. The guy seems reasonable on his other listed saws though. Guess this one is overpriced, eh?! Yeah, $40.00 seems reasonable (maybe a little light) but, then again, I don’t know their price new. Are they still made?

Pretty sure they are not still being made- and parts are hard to find.
That fleabay one looks well used and perhaps still a bit dear, add the $30+ for shipping and you are close to the $200 mark again.
Your call, you can throw $200 at an unknown condition saw that has very limited parts availability, or put that $200 towards a good 200T and have something that can still be worked on, will run a 16" bar happily and has real resale value.
If you need a top handle for a climbing saw- that would be my route into it. If you just want a top handle because they are kind of cool looking and need to prune some rose bushes....... lots of options out there.

I got one as-is for $15 at a thrift store.

Something is missing for the fuel tank, as it runs out a gap in the side, but is pretty clean and unscathed for a used saw. Looks like an interesting thing to take apart, probably not super easy.

At this point it's just sitting cause it has zero priority, but reading some about them showed much like for what they are.

I know the ad your talking about, he says the saw is new. FWIW

I checked the guys listing often. Still keeping my eyes open for a 3120 XP and Prehaps some thing in the 70 cc class. The offer and my wallet have to line up! Where are you in Maryland? I’m Churchville area

I checked the guys listing often. Still keeping my eyes open for a 3120 XP and Prehaps some thing in the 70 cc class. The offer and my wallet have to line up! Where are you in Maryland? I’m Churchville area
Pretty sure they are not still being made- and parts are hard to find.
That fleabay one looks well used and perhaps still a bit dear, add the $30+ for shipping and you are close to the $200 mark again.
Your call, you can throw $200 at an unknown condition saw that has very limited parts availability, or put that $200 towards a good 200T and have something that can still be worked on, will run a 16" bar happily and has real resale value.
If you need a top handle for a climbing saw- that would be my route into it. If you just want a top handle because they are kind of cool looking and need to prune some rose bushes....... lots of options out there.
I already have three tap handles. Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah. I just can’t help but to look! A slave to the chainsaw and tree addiction!!😂

Fairhill area. You should have jumped on the 372xp with a bad top end. Most of his adds say make offer. He had a nice Shindaiwa a while back.

You’re pretty close. Howdy neighbor!
Yeah, the 372 is my desired saw. I have the disadvantage of severely disliking small engine repair though😂. Enjoy doing the regular maintenance but outsource repairs.

Back