solo vs sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck "Stihl" Norris kicked the 372 back into 1997, the kick was today, very powerful. His kick was so powerful it knocked the elux building off it's foundation.

Guess you need reminded
Where oh where is 2000 today,
Why does he post and then run away,

Well I serched the site over an thought I found stihl boy
He tried a husky and pfatttt husky kicks on!!!!!

Blues despair and the brand huske e e e,
Made him go out and hide by the tree,,

Well I searched the site over and thought I found stihl boy,
He tried a husky an pfatttt husky kicks on,

Made him trade norris on a 372 xp p p p

He thought the chuck norris would out cut the husky,
But when he tried it he found Pfatttt he was wrong!

Thank you ,Thank you very much

Guess you need reminded
Where oh where is 2000 today,
Why does he post and then run away,

Well I serched the site over an thought I found stihl boy
He tried a husky and pfatttt husky kicks on!!!!!

Made him go out and hide by the tree,,

Well I searched the site over and thought I found stihl boy,
He tried a husky an pfatttt husky kicks on,

Made him trade norris on a 372 xp p p p

He thought the chuck norris would out cut the husky,
But when he tried it he found Pfatttt he was wrong!

Thank you ,Thank you very much

LOL, don't quit your day job. Maybe Joat will spare you a good ole onion bustin' when he sees that "work".:biggrinbounce2:

Well I think I did a fine job of rattling ya'lls heads like a husky muffler but it's going to be a long day tomorrow. After work we are going to try a 200 shot on the buttstang, 89 hatchback with a built Chevy 383 and turbo 350 trans.:chainsaw: Got to love that Chevy power.:clap:

Later fellers.

Well I think I did a fine job of rattling ya'lls heads like a husky muffler but it's going to be a long day tomorrow. After work we are going to try a 200 shot on the buttstang, 89 hatchback with a built Chevy 383 and turbo 350 trans.:chainsaw: Got to love that Chevy power.:clap:

Later fellers.

Always in my rear view! When will they learn the 427 ford
sent them packing.

Last edited:

Later fellers.

see ya mate. same time tomorrow lol

The only finish line full of losers, LOL. Get a real saw, Stihl.:clap:

Hahahaha. Once again I have to report that the only event that Stihl won at our local competition was the Stihl stock saw event.:laugh:

However a Solo 690 won the over 5 cubic inch class.
a Dolmar 7900 won the under 5 class.
And the Husky 357 that I ran over won the 60cc class.

Imagine that....................A Husky 357 that had been run over with a loaded gooseneck beat 3 ported 361's.:laugh:

Andy

Oh, to stay on topic.
Those who knock the Solo's probably haven't used one. My 681 is a fine saw, it's biggest drawback is lack of dealer support. So far I haven't needed their support.

Andy

Oh, to stay on topic.
Those who knock the Solo's probably haven't used one. My 681 is a fine saw, it's biggest drawback is lack of dealer support. So far I haven't needed their support.
Thats an excellent point to make. I would like to know if anyone has had a problem with the Solo681. I have run mine more than all my others combined and have yet to have a single issue. Word on the street is parts from the web have been easy to get. My 395 had an issue a couple of months after it was new and even after I contacted 3 different dealers for support I ended up fixing it myself anyway.

I just did an internet comparison of the Stihl 460 vs the Solo 681.
Stihl- 76.5cc,6.0HP,16.5lbs no bar
Solo 681- 80.7cc,6.4HP,14.6lbs no bar
You tell me?
Has Troll commented on these specs since he is so weight vs power conscious?
And I can tell you since I own a 395 that w/24" BC and about 3lbs. lighter saw the 681 makes more sense than a 395. The 395 will pull ahead when the bars are 28"+.

I purchased two Solo's this year, a 656 earlier in the year and a 681 a couple of months later. All together, I've cut at least 15 cords this year, with the 656 seeing the most use.

From the factory, the 656 was set very conservative, turning a maximum speed of 12,000 rpm. This is way below the published rating of 14,200 and required retuning after the initial break in period.

As far as performance and overall construction, I would rate the 656 slightly behind the 357XP. The 357XP is better balanced and cuts a little bit faster than the 656. In regards to build, the 656 is well constructed but loses points because of its long air filter cover and it is necessary to remove two screws for air filter maintenance. For me, price was the deciding factor in purchasing the Solo 656 over the 357XP.

On the other hand, the 681 ran exceptionally well straight from the factory. It always starts by the second pull, and required no re-jetting from the initial factory settings. The only big saws I have any experience using are the 372 and the 395. In both cases, I prefer the Solo over either of its competition. The 681 offers more power than the 372 and lacks the weight of the 395. In fact, if I was in better shape, I would run the 681 all day to cut wood, it's light enough to be feasible. The only negative aspect on the 681, is the air filtration system. The filter does get dirty rather quickly. However, I believe the updated cover from the 7900 will work on the 681.

Sorry, I can't compare the Solo's to Stihl since I have no real experience using anything from its product line.

Picked up two Solo 637's and they seem like good saws, well constructed, we will see about durability. Happy w/ performance...suprised actually.
Had the opportunity at a GTG to run a 681 nice saw...very similiar to 7900.
I'd be concerned w/ dealer support more than anything w/ a solo, although my Husky dealer was able to order me a couple parts I needed for the solo's.
All the top brands mentioned make good saws, for the homeowner and firewood cutter I'm sure all the major brands that have been listed will take care of business for many years. Only manufacturer I've soured on is Jred (last new saw I purchased) very displeased w/ my 2159 that took a year (8 trips to dealers) and ultimately a trip out east to the regional supplier to finally be fixed.
All things considered (mainly dealer support) I'd lean toward Stihl over a solo if purchasing new.

Hahahaha. Once again I have to report that the only event that Stihl won at our local competition was the Stihl stock saw event.:laugh:

However a Solo 690 won the over 5 cubic inch class.
a Dolmar 7900 won the under 5 class.
And the Husky 357 that I ran over won the 60cc class.

Imagine that....................A Husky 357 that had been run over with a loaded gooseneck beat 3 ported 361's.:laugh:

Andy

No Stihl's won eh? Sad news, I might survive.:cry: I also don't doubt ya'll could build a 361 to smoke that 357 if needed. Congrats on the wins!:clap:

Latest posts

Back