Starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 183493

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, 20yrs working in trees, now training chainsaw & arboreal qualifications.
Why is it my students are unable to start a Husqvarna 550xp mk2, but they cab start a stihl 400c & 500i?
Leg & ground starts. At each cutting technique we talk, start saws, cut, stop, review. They can start big Stihls all afternoon, 2.5-3hr prac but cannot get any of the 550xps running?

Some saws can be difficult to start, maybe your 550 is one of them,
sometimes a technique is discovered that works best, even if its not
in the manual.
Maybe too its the stopping of the 550 that is causing the trouble,
stop after a full throttle cut, and the saw will be flooded when you try to start it again, these saws need time to register that you are idling, if the last thing in memory is a full throttle setting when it should be idle setting, then it will be difficult to start.
I do not have MT or AT saws, but I here there can be quite a bit of trouble with the 550 older model, is it one of those.

Some saws can be difficult to start, maybe your 550 is one of them,
sometimes a technique is discovered that works best, even if its not
in the manual.
Maybe too its the stopping of the 550 that is causing the trouble,
stop after a full throttle cut, and the saw will be flooded when you try to start it again, these saws need time to register that you are idling, if the last thing in memory is a full throttle setting when it should be idle setting, then it will be difficult to start.
I do not have MT or AT saws, but I here there can be quite a bit of trouble with the 550 older model, is it one of those.

550xp mk2 purchased mid 2020.
The main concern is that we have 6 of them, all 6 behave the same, & at the same time we use stihl 400c & 500i purchased in October 2020.
They are used side by side in every class, but we end up giving up on thr 550's

Also, practical is: leg start, off; ground start, off; 1 at a time we demo a cross cut technique then students start saws, cut 5x cuts for each technique saws idle, off. 1 of that for each of top bind, bottom bind, boar cut vertical, boar cut horizontal, cutting & rolling over/wedges.
All on same fuel mix, 50:1 mixed with students for the class. Then they get to go to town with left over timber for the rest of the afternoon. With all saws I have turned them off at full revs when a student is holding/using dangerously, they have all been turned off after idling various times. If I turn off a Stihl at full revs while cutting I can start it again 1-2pulls. We have Stihl, Husqvarna, echo. All used side by side. The 3120's are fine but the 550xp mk2 is not

Also, practical is: leg start, off; ground start, off; 1 at a time we demo a cross cut technique then students start saws, cut 5x cuts for each technique saws idle, off. 1 of that for each of top bind, bottom bind, boar cut vertical, boar cut horizontal, cutting & rolling over/wedges.
All on same fuel mix, 50:1 mixed with students for the class. Then they get to go to town with left over timber for the rest of the afternoon. With all saws I have turned them off at full revs when a student is holding/using dangerously, they have all been turned off after idling various times. If I turn off a Stihl at full revs while cutting I can start it again 1-2pulls. We have Stihl, Husqvarna, echo. All used side by side. The 3120's are fine but the 550xp mk2 is not
If its under warranty take it back, a saw should start when you need it, am assuming its not vapor locked or heat issues.
I bet the Echo saws start.

We already train with Stihl 400C & 500i. I'm trying to find a way to actually use the husky saws.
I get it, You’re just preparing the class for the disappointment of a husky. They won’t buy saws that can’t be used. Win win really.

Is it just the students who have problems with it?

also, I wouldn’t even waste my time teaching ground starts. Teach them how to start a saw like a man, hanging onto the throttle with one hand holding it wide open, while shoving the saw away from you and yanking the cord with the other hand.

You'll probably want to buy an Echo or stick with your Stihl's. Husqvarnas are Chinese-made junk in my opinion. At least with Echo you're getting a Japanese made saw, or with Stihl, you're getting a German saw (although with a Chinese carb). You might look into tuning the H, L, and T screws on the carb, which can influence starting ability.

You'll probably want to buy an Echo or stick with your Stihl's. Husqvarnas are Chinese-made junk in my opinion. At least with Echo you're getting a Japanese made saw, or with Stihl, you're getting a German saw (although with a Chinese carb). You might look into tuning the H, L, and T screws on the carb, which can influence starting ability.
They are 550xp's bro.

The next time one will not start simply remove the plug and inspect it. Is it dry? is it wet? Have you tried idling the saws for 5 minutes then shutting them down to allow cooling? Or tried shutting them down using the choke? It amazes me that places spend thousands of dollars on equipment but lack the ability to have it repaired or inspected but instead throw it in the corner to complain about or leave it in the back of a truck year round until its ruined.

Is it just the students who have problems with it?

also, I wouldn’t even waste my time teaching ground starts. Teach them how to start a saw like a man, hanging onto the throttle with one hand holding it wide open, while shoving the saw away from you and yanking the cord with the other hand.
Throttle Lock and drop/throw saw with left hand while holding rope handle with right hand. Hard to hold throttle wide open on a 056 Magnum ll like you mentioned. No compression release, 160 lbs. compression and a bit heavy with close to 100 CCs' Younger days I skoffed at comp release but nowadays I use 'em if they have 'em ...
I have seen starter rope thimbles cut through if the cord is unduly flexed sideways and not straight in line. Have a Poulan 315 that I don;t throw start 'cuz of the recoil/rope angle.

They’re not Chinese made but I hear you can get rebuild kits at IKEA. The 550 is an AT saw so no adjustments. I’m with ya on the junk statement, Just read through the forums.

Are these 5 non starting saws stored anywhere different than the Stihl and Echo saws. Like in a warmer place, expansion sending fuel into cylinder for example.
As mentioned, take out the plug and look, look too that no one put bar oil in the fuel tank and eventually tipped it out leaving the filter clogged to starvation.

Back