Starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start my 40cc saw like that but anything bigger I do the ground technique, my cs-400 almost starts just by touching the recoil. I'm only 5'4 so the drop technique is alil risky on bigger saws especially this one. If you can drop start this your a bad@ss for sure. Do you have the chain brake on when drop starting?View attachment 966190
ARE YOU POSITIVE that saw is not a two-man saw that someone broke off the buddy handle?? :eek:
:laugh:
My friend in Pittsburgh had a grandfather that we used to go visit,,
He had a two-man saw,, the bar was shorter than that one.

I am 6'7",, so, my difficulty is that the ground is a L O N G way down,,
My arm strength works almost as good as ever, but, at 72 years old,, my back is not as happy as when I was 50,,,.

I have spent the last 5 years learning how to do lot of things without bending over as much.

Part of this woodcutting that I have been doing is for maintaining as much body strength as possible.
MANY guys I went to school with do not think activity beyond walking the dog for 15 minutes twice a day is necessary.
I spent 1 1/2 hours swinging a brush axe yesterday.. almost no bending over, but, LOTS of exercise.

OH, and as far as drop starting that saw,, I would not drop start any saw without a chain brake...
BUT, that is a great looking saw,, !! :crazy2: :surprised3:

Of course I choke it until i get a pop which is usually 4 or 5 pulls, then I push the switch lever down where I assume is fast idle and it's usually 4 or 5 more pulls to get it to hit and stay running. When it starts fast idle doesn't feel much different then idle. Don't recall messing with fast idles much in the past, but i need to adjust this 1 I believe.
Wanna sell it :innocent:.

Black locust slayer!!!
I would bet that 2 or 3 inch thick disks of that wood could be used as garden path walking steps,,
much like the concrete stepping stones.

Only, the locust will last longer than the concrete,,!!

My older neighbor used to go nuts when I would burn locust for firewood,,
He thought that locust should only be used for fence posts.

I still have many fence posts that guy placed in our fence before 1979,,,

I would bet that 2 or 3 inch thick disks of that wood could be used as garden path walking steps,,
much like the concrete stepping stones.

Only, the locust will last longer than the concrete,,!!

My older neighbor used to go nuts when I would burn locust for firewood,,
He thought that locust should only be used for fence posts.

I still have many fence posts that guy placed in our fence before 1979,,,
I've made them out of White Oak, lots of them, for a school.
Since my wife quit her job there I haven't seen how they were doing.
The bummer is that Black Locust is a bit harder to find in larger sizes.
I've considered cutting them thicker, like 4" and then squaring them up to make a floor for my woodshed, I thought that would be pretty neat looking. There are streets in Chicago that are made of black locust and a few companies that sell BL boards and pavers, pretty neat product for sure.

I ground start all my saws when they are cold

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

And i never had issues with getting auto tune saws to start. They have all actually started EASTER than any others

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Of course I choke it until i get a pop which is usually 4 or 5 pulls, then I push the switch lever down where I assume is fast idle and it's usually 4 or 5 more pulls to get it to hit and stay running. When it starts fast idle doesn't feel much different then idle. Don't recall messing with fast idles much in the past, but i need to adjust this 1 I believe.
8-10 pulls to start a saw is NEVER good, it would be a shelf items or bench item for sure. I finally found that when I had trouble, it was because hearing protection stopped me from hearing the POP, and that extra pull flooded it. Lesson was 1 ear open until start. If mine did not pop by 3rd pull (Cold), I would stop and recheck fuel level/ choke position, etc. Consider cleaning carb internal fuel screen and replacing fuel filter? Do you brush away sawdust before opening fuel/oil caps?

Should have the chain brake on when starting a saw in all positions i believe .
Can get a faster pull drop starting. I push the saw away from me some as I pull the starter rope toward me.
I think owners manual warn against drop starting.
Drop start w/ many saws is dangerous, esp. older saws w/ no chain brake. Most memorable is the (video) of the IDIOT pulling the rope w/ the bar tucked BETWEEN his legs? I would pray it had no chain, even if fake?

Drop start w/ many saws is dangerous, esp. older saws w/ no chain brake. Most memorable is the (video) of the IDIOT pulling the rope w/ the bar tucked BETWEEN his legs? I would pray it had no chain, even if fake?
I watched a man start a Homelite bow saw by holding the bow with his foot on the inside and pulling the rope.

I watched a man start a Homelite bow saw by holding the bow with his foot on the inside and pulling the rope.
When training son years back, he was bucking, straddle the saw, saw/hands in crotch area; I told him to shutoff; he immediately started to argue (teenager) "But I am left handed Dad"... I quietly stated "I was not saying anything about your hands, LOOK at where saw is, and WHERE chain would go if it derailed..." he looked down, at saw/bar, at his crotch, and stepped aside... " I said "Whenever possible, Align your bar with AIR, NOT with your body parts"... Point made?

Latest posts

Back