Stihl 044 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does mine but it did not come that way from the factory. 044 angled fin cylinders work really well on a 12 mm pin crankcase. The 12 mm pin cylinders with straight across fins won`t work on a stock 10 mm crancase using a stock 10 mm pin piston due to ring location pins. Just move the pins and voila, the newer cylinder works fine. The OEM 046 P&C can be used on a 10 mm saw if pin bushings are made up with outer ends capped and the 10 mm pin shortened to accomodate the end capped pins, original C clips still retain the pins on the 12 mm piston.

Pioneerguy600
Your guys tech talk is confusing me. So will the P&C I want to get from Baileys work? And if not steer me in the right direction. Please
Thanks,
Anthony

The op's pics bring back recent memories. That is a fun rebuild. I had my problems when it came to setting the carb up right. Working pretty good now. There are some good after market parts on Baileys that will work out pretty good. Don't forget to get your gasket set for the saw just in case. A carb kit should go in as well, just make sure you clean the old carb really well and set the inlet needle lever right and you should be good to go.

Unlike what I have often read on AS, you can find 044 BB P&C for a 10mm pin. I know at least 1 reliable internet dealer who sells them, in Germany. No matter if it's 10 or 12 mm, the parts are available. (PM me if you want the exact ref.).

Latest posts

Back