Stihl, after the sale.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaseyForrest said:
I also got one after I bought my 460. I think thats a great thing to do to keep customer loyalty.

Brandon....You going to start a landscape maintenance business?

No, just needed something to trim the 75' of hedge that runs along the sidewalk on the side of the house. Doesn't everybody trim the little hedges in their yard with a $400 single-side gas hedge trimmer? Seriously, though, a couple friends of the family who are elderly asked me to help them with some yardwork last fall and in each instance I was left wishing I had a good hedge trimmer. So this year I'm going to be prepared!

As for the letter, I think that any effort to stay connected with customers is a good idea. Even if at the end of the day the letter means nothing, as Sap suggested, it certainly hasn't hurt. In this day and age of uninspired, anonymous shopping at bigbox stores where they very obviously couldn't care less about any particular customer, a letter like this helps strengthen a customer-manufacturer connection and builds brand loyalty. What's wrong with that?

I wonder what Sap would prefer the manufacturer do instead of sending a letter like this. Something different? Nothing at all?

computeruser said:
I wonder what Sap would prefer the manufacturer do instead of sending a letter like this. Something different? Nothing at all?

I personally get more satisfaction from better after-sale service...whether it be cars or saws, then I do from a form letter with my name typed in. But that's probably just me.

Well, coveredinsap certainly is entitled to his opinion. I guess he has missed the posts about my local Stihl dealer doing what it takes to get the job done, right. Even though I nickel and dime him...all the time....He never fails to give me a discount, without asking. He never fails to get the parts I need, even when its only two(2) $5 carb jets.

Anyway....This post wasn't started as a pissing match. I don't have a single problem with Husky, fine saws in my opinion. The Stihl feels better in my hand.

coveredinsap...in todays marketplace, where some of you argue the mom and pops are being put out of business, and that "feel good" atmosphere is disappearing, why would you bash such an attempt for a corporation to try to keep that local, home town good feeling going? You are the minority when it comes to bad dealings with Stihl. There are an equal number of people that have had bad dealings with Husky. But I don't see them bashing Husky the way you continually bash Stihl. It seems to me your bad dealing was with the dealer, not Stihl. I say time to move on...

EDIT: I just came across some new information. I learned the dealer coveredinsap bought his Stihl from is a good guy. Without going into any detail, I retract the insinuation that coveredinsap had a bad dealer.

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
I'm not "insinuating" any such thing. One can like Stihl saws all they like....no problem.

But when a person goes around pimping these follow-up letters as the neatest thing since sliced bread, when all they are is little more than a sales tool to make the purchaser feel better about spending their money on a product (usually an expensive product), then it's time to set the record straight.

It is somewhat amusing to me that Stihl uses sales tactics similar to car dealers in an attempt to instill brand loyalty. As I said, nobody can accuse Stihl of being stupid. After all.... it looks like it's working.

:ices_rofl:

sap is jealous he didn't get one with his 455 rancher!!!

hahahahahahaha

Maybe someone can cross out Stihl on theirs and mail it to him? :)

I didnt catch this untill I read dozers post.

coveredinsap, are you insinuating that anyone that buys Stihl is dumb? I can read between the lines, but want you to man up and say it outright.

Sorry, there's just to many points to address at once....

Who's pimping anything? I merely posted the letter that anyone gets after they buy a Stihl product. Maybe some didn't know that Stihl does such a follow up.

You haven't set anything straight, other than you still have a chip on your shoulder because of one bad experience.

I wonder if you discount everything you have bad experiences with as quickly as you did Stihl. Do you then go around and badmouth the hell out of it, all the while calling those that continue to buy such products "dupes." You must buy the best of everything, and have problems with nothing, because Stihl is all I have heard you badmouth.

I had a Husky 136, before I ever bought a Stihl anything. Used it for years, then it sat in the shed for a couple years. The reason I traded it is I went to use it one weekend, and the case was cracked. It wasn't cracked when I put it away last, and hadn't moved since. But I'm not bad mouthing Husky......Things happen....get over it...the numbers don't lie.

Individuals such as yourself is the reason allot of corporations have gotten away from "Thank-You" letters. You don't appreciate the paper its written on, so whats the point. Doesn't matter if its form letter with someones name typed in....fact is they don't have to do it...they choose to.

Is there anything you cant find a reason to **** on?

EDIT: If I had bought a Husky, and got that letter Id do the same thing.

Those Stihl letters

Those Stihl letters to the customers after the sale are meant to say one thing, THANK YOU. Since when did saying thank you become "pimping". If that is the case then I'm one of the biggest "pimps" in my area. I have caused well over 2000 of those Sthil thank you letters to be sent out from the sales I've made in the past few years. To date I have never had one single customer come and say why are you "pimping" me with this. I have had many, many customers come tell me the letter was very nice, something more companies should do. Anyone that takes offence to the words THANK YOU and feels its "pimping" in some fashion indeed has issues in my opinion, only my opinion mind you, that of course if I'm allowed to have one as well as everyone else.
As for do the thank you letters work, yes they do indeed. Those simple letters have helped Stihl remain at the top for the past 34 years in a row, thats fact, not bull. I even read where one single man has over 18K in Sthil, that pretty well says it all. Stihl thanks him quite alot and I nod my hat to him, good choice........

I got one !

Just this year, it was thanking me for buying the 260, and reminding me that I can get service for it where I bought it. Last year when I got mad and bought the 460 (great saw) for some reason I did not get a letter. You guys are probably correct in that the registration wasn't handles correctly.

Stihl vs. Husky, Ford vs. Chevy. There is going to be personal preferences. Some guys like one brand of saw, and the trucks get the same reasoning.

If it is cutting for you, and hauling for you. Fantastic! If it isn't giving too many problems then life is good and you can concentrate on other issues. If the saw blows up, and the truck breaks down then something ain't right.

The guy I work with on weekends uses the other brand of truck than I do, but we both use Stihl saws. He used to use Husky's, but I rather doubt that I am going to buy a different truck....

-Pat (keep on :chainsaw: )

...one more thought related to brand preference... my buddy is using some chain that I had, and thought it worked out pretty well and cheaper than the name brand stuff. I asked him what he thought of Carlton chain, and his opinion was that it wasn't any good.
Then I told him that he is running carlton chain from Baileys. Oh? Really? In fact we are just about ready to buy a roll of the stuff! Never mind where it came from, does it work??!!!!!

Last edited:
Patrick62 said:
Just this year, it was thanking me for buying the 260, and reminding me that I can get service for it where I bought it. Last year when I got mad and bought the 460 (great saw) for some reason I did not get a letter. You guys are probably correct in that the registration wasn't handles correctly.

Stihl vs. Husky, Ford vs. Chevy. There is going to be personal preferences. Some guys like one brand of saw, and the trucks get the same reasoning.

If it is cutting for you, and hauling for you. Fantastic! If it isn't giving too many problems then life is good and you can concentrate on other issues. If the saw blows up, and the truck breaks down then something ain't right.

The guy I work with on weekends uses the other brand of truck than I do, but we both use Stihl saws. He used to use Husky's, but I rather doubt that I am going to buy a different truck....

-Pat (keep on :chainsaw: )

...one more thought related to brand preference... my buddy is using some chain that I had, and thought it worked out pretty well and cheaper than the name brand stuff. I asked him what he thought of Carlton chain, and his opinion was that it wasn't any good.
Then I told him that he is running carlton chain from Baileys. Oh? Really? In fact we are just about ready to buy a roll of the stuff! Never mind where it came from, does it work??!!!!!

Good post. Seems you understand life goes on and the whole world doesn't stop because something goes wrong. The chain part is funny, I see your point, that was good................

Latest posts

Back