stihl dealers attitude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had VERY similar exp. with the Stihl dealer nearest me. I stopped one day after work to see if he could fix my recoil(start) He told me if I hadnt bought junk(Jonsered) I woudnt be having troubles. He whined and griped, but did get it fixed, 5 days later. Remember, Im in Nebraska, there isnt much for logging going on here, and he wasnt busy. Matter of fact I have been in the shop a few times, and have never seen another customer in there.
I mentioned needing a new saw. THEN his tune changed. Told him I liked the ms440, he told me that it was more saw than i needed, I dont care what "I need" I WANTED A 440. He tried to sell me a ms290?? or something way smaller. I insisted on a 440 and he WOULD NOT order one in for me! I am the customer, offer me a suggestion, ill take it to heart. I bought a Dolmar ps7900 from tonym, and ya know what, its NOT "too much saw" it is perfect. and a couple hundred miles dealing with Tony is much better than dealing with some local arrogant Pri**.
The only drawback on the 7900 is the guys ask what my saw is, I say "a Dolmar" they all reply a WHAT?!?!? I was 400 yard from some guys cutting firewood Fri. and they walked over to see what the heck "that mean soundin' saw was" It is all Stihl here, or Poulan. I have a Jonsered and a Dolmar, so I get pretty funny looks :)

Yep same old story why go you bother doing business with them surely there's other brands besides their beloved Stihl and this bit of bullxxxx has been around a long time thats how my old business grew let them push their customers away and Huskie and other more friendly dealers with a better outlook on life will make the bucks at the end of the day.

I used to service anything that walked or got dragged in the door with care and concideration over time the customer realizes that your bating for him then he'll buy whatever you wish to sell him as it's the after sales service that keep both of you going not arroganise.

This is not saying that Stihl is not a top saw regardless of which one you purchase but their attitude needs adjusting appropiately again thinking you have the best and not inviting others into the hood with due respect doesn't win many potential customers.
Stihl dealers will never change unless they drive you away which in a lot of cases they do, i know my business went from 30 saws a year to over 400 a year from offering the customers what they wanted respect and consideration.

Thanks to Stihl i made heaps from their losses great stuff while they winged and moarned about that mungrel down the road who happened to be me.

Mc Bob.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ozflea/saws.html

And still Mc Happy.

I think it's a personality thing more than a brand thing. Around here we have a Husky and Shindaiwa dealer that chases the chainsaw business off. The Stihl and Echo dealers get his chased away business.

In this area,there are several Stihl dealers,2 are close to me.Here is a profile.One,got the business.,from his father,is ,in fact a lousy mechanic,and has a rather arrogant attitude.He even poo-poos certain models,of the Stihl line.His main sales are to long time customers.He,more times than not,will just say that certain parts are no longer available,etc.etc.The other,worked his way ,from a general gopher,in high school,to the largest Toro dealership,in the USA.These folks will bend over backwards for people,no matter if they are selling a $500. ms 200 t,or a $20 bearing,for an 038.It's not the company,it's the dealer.These folks will also order parts for non Stihl saws,if they can.For obvious reasons ,they get my business.I most likely only buy about 4 or 5 hundred dollars worth per year,but it will go to someone that will work with me,not against.As for my 2 cents,I say put your money on the good guy,even if you have to drive an extra 30 miles .Then again,I'm a tad firm minded,so to speak. :rolleyes:

Sirchopalot...It's too bad that you do not live near me in Fairfield County, CT. Every Stihl dealer in my area that I have delt with have alway been courteous and helpful. I have a dealer that is within walking distance that sells Husqverna and Stihl! As soon as you get one foot in the door, a salesperson is ready to help! By the way, that Brandman's power equipment in Norwalk. A very customer service friendly operation! Joe.

Same here, three close shops in town no help. Go down to the small town that I grew up in 20 miles away and their little shop with the full ine of saws and trimmers has gotten all my business, prices are even in line with online sources surprisingly.

Jamie

About a mile from me, is an Amish owned saw shop. He sells Stihl, Husky, and just added Jonsered. Don`t ask me how he sells all three brands in the same shop, but he does it. He really does a good business. Most of the Amish around me are loggers, or sawmillers, so he has a pretty good following, and he doesn`t have an attitude.
There is a Stihl shop about 15 miles from me. the owner doesn`t have a bad attitude, but his wife sure does. That is why I don`t go there any more.

woodhog said:
There is a Stihl shop about 15 miles from me. the owner doesn`t have a bad attitude, but his wife sure does.

She probably isn't getting enough ! :laugh:

Perhaps if you offered to help out she would be super nice ! ;) :dizzy:

Back