Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why you put the ms261 in there is beoyond me. It's obviously clear you have no intention of buying it and only used it as a means to throw rocks at STIHL.

The guy at the husky/dolmar ship took 1.5 hours with you and took the whole saw apart and showed you the ins and outs of them and yer still here talking about which one you should get? :popcorn:

I wish I could buy an MS 261 actually, so this is not a criticism of Stihl products...just their distribution system.
But Hey..I enjoy throwing stones too, not to humans, just nice smooth lake surfaces. And if the truth must be told, the first throw in this thread was made by you, my estranged unknown cyber-friend/foe.:sword:

My thoughts are this.
I own a 5100-S and it is a great little saw. I know some people talk about balance but to be honest with the smaller saws I don't believe it is as big of an issue as it is with larger saws and top handles. I've thrown my 5100-S around for up to 10 hours clearing Wattles in Tasmanian creek lines and not once did I stop and think I needed a better balanced saw.
If buying again though I would narrow it down to the 346 or MS261. Why you may ask?
Simple, the standard filtration on the 5100-S is garbage (and I believe similar on the 5105) in our hardwoods and has to be oiled to keep the crud out. I know the 346 will handle it and the filter on the 261 "looks" like it should handle it.
I have thrown a 260 around without actually cutting and it felt a bit lighter but balance is highly subjective and depends a lot on many factors...

Personal choice
Brand bias
What saws you have actually used
Intended use and arm strength
and last but not least, how anal you are...

When you see somebody mentioning which saw is better than that saw always make sure they've spent some time on all of them before jumping to conclusions. There are many members here that will try to convince you to buy one saw or another when they have no real experience on any of them.
I would lean towards the 261 only because I don't like outboard clutches when there is an alternative, similar saw that has got an inboard, but that's just me. Others will disagree :cheers:
If clutches don't bother you I'd go the 346 as it has an awesome reputation and I don't think the 261 has been proven yet but I'm sure it will be over time.

"Simple, the standard filtration on the 5100-S is garbage (and I believe similar on the 5105) "

I do not have experience with the Dolmar filter but looking at it next to the 346XP, I was not overwhelmed...it's made of felt plus has some foam on the carb hole and did not look too well thought out...more of an after-thought and half-ass fix to me. So I came to the same conclusion as yours (albeit...without actually running it thru a field test). Knowing the reputation of Stihl and seeing that they addressed (meaning copied with their own recipe) the prefiltering and X torq tech of Huskvarna with their MS 261 that's the one I had decided to buy but it's not available and the sales guy reacted as if I was an idiot for asking for the 261 and not the 260. (He was unaware of the 261 existance..for a Stihl dealer; That did not help my opinion of the brand rep.)
I think I will buy the 346XP. I'll post pictures and give my feedback on it. I am picking the 20" bar with .325 pitch chain...I know, I should go with a Stihl chain .375" and 18" or even 16" bar but I have some huge logs to turn into firewood and I am not into a race either. I just like reliable stuff with some power. The .375 grabs like a mother and I am not always into battle mode when I cut wood...I like to enjoy it sometimes.
I remember using some super large Stihl in France for cutting brushes all day long (a clogged forest of sapplings that belongs to my family). It was dangerous and pretty stupid and at the end of the day, we could not go any longer, we were wiped and I was very athletic then. We barely made a dent in the forest...it was pathetic, So big saw, big power is not too smart for all day jobs...adequate power, reliabilty and light weight ,maniability and versatility is a higher priority to me. I considered some 40 cc very seriously but I think I will get a 346XP and ;later a small red max top handle (I get help sometimes..so like this we'll be able to work multiple tasks at once). Thank you so much for all your opinions. This site is incredible, I thought I was weird for catching the chainsaw fever but I see that there are a bunch of people out there who do not have a fever but a full blown terminal cancer over the thing.

Makes me feel like I am totally normal now.:bulgy-eyes::dizzy::kilt:

Just FYI, Stigmata are: bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus. :) Just had to bust your chops on that one ;)

:haha:
:bowdown:
eh eh eh good one. I like that.
I meant stigma only...one level below stigmata...automatic association, xeno-connotation or otherwise preconceived judgment ...Wiki knows better than me...here it is...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigma
I remember now what Stigmata really means.. .Scary stuff, must have sounded like I was in need of exorcism, infected by the Stihl spirits reacting to my inner budding love for Husqvarna. What a program! that might be a slight over-exaggeration, just slight...I am NOT that of a partisan (just yet)
But if I hang around here much longer; I probably will.:msp_sneaky:

Regarding filtering, the XP had a baffled nylon filter while the Dolmar had a felt filter plus a foam pad over the carb hole.
I'm not familiar with the filter on the 346XP, but almost all the saws I own use flocked filters like the one you saw on the Dolmar.
My Dolmar also came with a nylon-screened filter which is intended for winter use (snow = less dust).
I have nothing against the 346XP. They may even offer a flocked filter for it.
I just wanted to point out that flocked filter probably filters better than a nylon screen.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the filter on the 346XP, but almost all the saws I own use flocked filters like the one you saw on the Dolmar.
My Dolmar also came with a nylon-screened filter which is intended for winter use (snow = less dust).
I just wanted to point out that flocked filter probably filters better than a nylon screen.

I'm pretty sure the flocked filters are standard on all of the saws mentioned. I know it is on the 260. If it doesn't have a flocked filter, better get one before cutting. As you mentioned, they do a much better job of filtering.

Oregone I think I will buy the 346XP. I'll post pictures and give my feedback on it. I am picking the 20" bar with .325 pitch chain...I know, I should go with a Stihl chain .375" and 18" or even 16" bar but I have some huge logs to turn into firewood and I am not into a race either.
First, great choice on the 346xp! Also, .325" is the right chain for that saw, no need to run 3/8" on it. 3/8"x 20" would be too much. .325"x20" will be OK, but 16" or 18" fits that saw better. Let us know how you like it.
:cheers:

Brian VT, Thanks for the info. I am aware of 3 types of filter available (nylon , felt and foam). Felt is supposed to take care of the very fine stuff while nylon does not fall apart as easy but lets in the fine stuff. I think that the HD filter all have corrugated felt for fine exotic wood particles. I cut maple, oak, pine and cherry trees, not Mahogany or bloodwood (very nice eucalyptus) and the hard sorts they cut in Australia or Brazil. I am just not too fond of felt because I made holes in one while trying to clean it. I think that nylon screen also lets more air per square inch than felt does (unless they have tons of folds like those conical hot rod filters)...the Dolmar filter was flat and small, it looked very unevenly pressed together, almost as rough parchment (looked like pressed pulp) with big chunks here and light thin areas there. Might just ahve been a dud so not take my comment seriously...extremely subjective and untested opinions here.

The346xp will handle better than the others.

What does the MS261 handle like troll? :)

The 346 is time proven, the Dolmar is a fine saw as well. I couldnt be happier with my 261, but honestly- I would go with the saw that has the best feel to you, and strongest dealer support. Sounds like you have one heck of a Husky/ Dolmar dealer, and that means a lot.
Dont think you will go wrong with any selection, best thing I can tell you is read, read, and read. There is some great info on those three saws on this forum. I would pay attention to how these saws run in stock form.

Man this place is great. I am not done posting my minus two cents that there are 3 more posts saying stuff that makes me think I am full of sh!t. Not that I like feeling like that.
It's just that awareness of the kind of think tank you find yourself swimming in (and its unsuspected depth) is a weird realization. Cyber world .. You think you are alone BS-ing carelessly in your living room with a couple of friends when you might just be on a stage with thousands of people listening (or a couple old guys half caring and barely listening somewhere in Alaska):chatter::eek:

Brian VT, Thanks for the info. I am aware of 3 types of filter available (nylon , felt and foam). Felt is supposed to take care of the very fine stuff while nylon does not fall apart as easy but lets in the fine stuff. I think that the HD filter all have corrugated felt for fine exotic wood particles. I cut maple, oak, pine and cherry trees, not Mahogany or bloodwood (very nice eucalyptus) and the hard sorts they cut in Australia or Brazil. I am just not too fond of felt because I made holes in one while trying to clean it. I think that nylon screen also lets more air per square inch than felt does (unless they have tons of folds like those conical hot rod filters)...the Dolmar filter was flat and small, it looked very unevenly pressed together, almost as rough parchment (looked like pressed pulp) with big chunks here and light thin areas there. Might just ahve been a dud so not take my comment seriously...extremely subjective and untested opinions here.
You're right about the filters. I ran a nylon mesh on my old 346xp for 10 years, it's still good! I just put a felt filter on it for the hell of it, we'll see how it does. My new 346 has the nylon mesh and it'll likely stay on it, not too dusty here.

I have a 346XP and it is, in my opinion the best in it's class for my use.

I am running a 20 inch ArborMax bar from Bailey's and .325 pitch Carlton chisel chain. I use the 20 inch bar for the extra "reach" not because I am going to bury it in 20 inch or larger wood.

I also have a 16 and an 18 for the saw, but the 20 gets the most use.

I have owned almost all models of the Sach Dolmar saws, and have owned two 5100s and they are very good saws,but I like the 346XP better.

I own Dolmar, Husqvarna, and Stihl saws and they are all good saws. Just match the saw to the job that needs done.

Welcome to the Forum. I have learned a lot from these guys. When I started here I had never run anything but Dolmar. Then I learned there are a lot of good saws available, and most of what I now have was bought after asking questions here, or reading post where someone else had asked questions.

I think that nylon screen also lets more air per square inch than felt does (unless they have tons of folds like those conical hot rod filters)...the Dolmar filter was flat and small, it looked very unevenly pressed together, almost as rough parchment (looked like pressed pulp) with big chunks here and light thin areas there....extremely subjective and untested opinions here.
Many of your comments relay your gut instincts when you were checking out the saws. You gotta go with that. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't follow them and, for some reason, things don't go as well as you expected.
As has been said, you'll love any of those saws. Go get one !

I have a 346XP and it is, in my opinion the best in it's class for my use.

I am running a 20 inch ArborMax bar from Bailey's and .325 pitch Carlton chisel chain. I use the 20 inch bar for the extra "reach" not because I am going to bury it in 20 inch or larger wood.

I also have a 16 and an 18 for the saw, but the 20 gets the most use.

I have owned almost all models of the Sach Dolmar saws, and have owned two 5100s and they are very good saws,but I like the 346XP better.

I own Dolmar, Husqvarna, and Stihl saws and they are all good saws. Just match the saw to the job that needs done.

Welcome to the Forum. I have learned a lot from these guys. When I started here I had never run anything but Dolmar. Then I learned there are a lot of good saws available, and most of what I now have was bought after asking questions here, or reading post where someone else had asked questions.

Same here about learning what I wanted to buy. I have been browsing the net in its width lenght and depth about all infos I could find about the 346XP, Stihl MS261 and found out about the Dolmar thru different blogs on Arboristsite.com. You find the very best advice here easy and by far. I am also looking at replacement chains for a .325 sprocket at Bailey's but the choice is so vast, it's not easy to zero in on what's the best for you. Thanks for saying that you use the 20" bar for reach...that's what I am looking for too (I had a lumbar fusion surgery so I can't bend as easy as I wished I could). When reaching for a log laying on the ground 70% of what I end up doing, not bending as much would be nice I imagine but I don't know (I have a 16" bar right now) and I forgot what it's like with a long bar. Geez I can't wait. I am buying the 346 next week end. The dealer offers it for $460 (Dolmar 5105 for $450) I think it's an acceptable deal. He's been so helpful that I would not mind if he made a bigger margin anyway (but I won't tell him that). I'll just make sure to buy accessories and get tune ups or replacements parts thru him.
Chains, i'll buy thru Bailey's. Any recommendation? Is Carlton the best (for durability and cutting speed) And do you guys know where I can buy some felling dogs? Thanks for your answers.
Pascal

I own a 346 and purchased a 261 a couple weeks ago. The 261 is definetly a stronger saw than the 346xpne. For a firewood saw imho the 261 is a far better saw.
If you are trimming limbs, cutting out fence rows where handling is most important then the 346 is the saw, it does handle better, more of a finesse saw. The 346xpne was the best 50cc saw I had run until I bought the 261. The 261 is a solid built saw and is the absolutely the smoothest saw I have ever run in 35 years of running saws. It has almost no vibration. It is a torquier saw. I will prolly be replacing the 346xpne I have with another 261. For our firewood business it's just a better fit.
The 346 xpne is an excellent saw, it's kind of like comparing a F-15 to a F-22, both are great designs, the 22 just taking advantage of the latest advances.
The 261's air filtration, anti-vibe, captive bar nuts and overall construction is as good as it gets. Mine came set up with an 18" bar, it came set up at 14,300 rpm from the dealer. I would give it a close look before buying the 346xpne.

Any recommendation? Is Carlton the best (for durability and cutting speed)

I find Carlton one of the best in 3/8" but only in semi chisel. In full chisel my experience would say that RSC is slightly better and Oregon LGX is also good.
In .325" I'm not so sure as I don't use it on any of my saws.

One flocked and two different ("summer" and "winter") mesh ones are availiable for the 346xp. They are for different conditions.

The pre-filtration done by the flywheel fan is the main clue with the Husky filtration system - very little dust actually reaches the filter area at all.
The 261 has a copy of that system, the 5105 doesn't, so the performance of the filter itself is much more critical on that saw.

The pre-filtration done by the flywheel fan is the main clue with the Husky filtration system - very little dust actually reaches the filter area at all.
The 261 has a copy of that system, the 5105 doesn't, so the performance of the filter itself is much more critical on that saw.

Actually Sawtroll the Husky filtration system does not seem to keep the ultra fines at bay such as dead Redgum dust but does work very very well on ejecting larger particles away from the filter.
In fact the Husky system is far worse than the Dolmar HD system on the 7900's etc in this regard.

Back