Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Sawtroll the Husky filtration system does not seem to keep the ultra fines at bay such as dead Redgum dust but does work very very well on ejecting larger particles away from the filter.
In fact the Husky system is far worse than the Dolmar HD system on the 7900's etc in this regard.

Which Husky models are you referring to?

The saws discussed here are 50cc ones, not the ol' 288 and 3120 (they don't have that system).

Just wanted to say im my opinion you can not go wrong with the 346xp. It's flat out as reliable a saw as you can get. I had an ms260 that was very finicky. Good saw but was, well, finicky!! Can't speak for the Dolmar. Never run one. As for the 261,never run that either. Probably will be a good saw as well but just hasn't been around long enough to prove it's reliability. (I don't buy products that are early in their production life) I also own a 372xp but I always reach for the 346 first. It's just so much fun to run. Amazing what that little saw can do.

In my area its the opposite the husky dealer is high in price and the stihl dealer is reasonable and very easy to get along with. I have not priced a 261 yet though maybe I should call and see what they want for one. Every time I see a husky in person I dont care for the plasticky look of it but I cant knock them cause I havnt run a pro model husky yet. When I got my saw it was between the MS361 and the 357XP and the 361 was the cheaper of the 2 and seemed like the better deal. Now that I got the 361 I cant say enough good things about it.
346xp seems like one of the best huskys tho even most Stihl guys on here own one.

I am buying the 346 next week end. The dealer offers it for $460 (Dolmar 5105 for $450) I think it's an acceptable deal. He's been so helpful that I would not mind if he made a bigger margin anyway (but I won't tell him that). I'll just make sure to buy accessories and get tune ups or replacements parts thru him.
Chains, i'll buy thru Bailey's. Any recommendation? Is Carlton the best (for durability and cutting speed) And do you guys know where I can buy some felling dogs? Thanks for your answers.
Pascal
That's a very good price on the 346, I just paid $475 for my second one, which was $25 off.

As far as chain, why not buy it from the dealer? My dealer is about the same price as Baliey's. Carlton is good chain, but not the best. I like Stihl and Oregon chain. Stihl stays sharp a bit longer, but Oregon is easier to sharpen, hand filing. I also prefer semi-chisel for my uses (firewood and thinning). It stays sharper longer and is easier to touch-up if I hit a rock.

Matt, I agree on the Husky system not keeping the fine dust out of the 'airbox'. Big stuff yes, but not the fine stuff that causes the problems.

In fact, I just went ahead and blocked off the 'air injection' system and run two holes in the back of the cover that lead to an oil soaked sponge (old dirtbike trick). The sponge picks up most of the fine stuff that impacts against it.

My saw (450) is based on the smaller 445. Add the big bore and the cooling fins have extra work. Then start sucking more air off of the flywheel fins with the bigger bore and some mods for more flow and my engine temps were getting hot enough where I had to use a fat mixture to keep the engine together. The more power (and heat) I produced, the less air I had available to cool the engine.

The air injection is a good concept, but it didn't work out on my modified saw.

260- (i own an 026 ) lighter, older, weaker, doesn't handle as well as a 346 (IMO)-

5100-(had one on extended loan to me) great saw, nice power (maybe more torque but less snappy than a 346), there were issues with set-up (or lack thereof) from the dealers, doesn't handle as well as the 346, heavier than a 346/260---5105 is an improved edition

346- (i own both NE and OE models) middle weight of the three, best handling, great power, snappy throttle, takes very well to a MM and/or porting.

261- heavier, stronger, better filtration, handling may not be a good as a 346, lack of availibility

The filtration improvement on the 261 is clearly a "reverse" engineered Husky style air system, but Stihl has taken it even a step better with the twist on/off automotive canister style system they are using, it's a step up from the standard 346xpne setup. It's not that it is a big deal for someone who maintains their saws.
I've never had an issue with the old flocked style Stihl filters as red oak and hickory really doesn't create that many fines unless it's been dead for a long time. We blow ours out at the end of everyday anyway.
If you don't work on your own saws dealer support would be a huge factor. I gave 510.00 for my 261 and with the purchase of a six pack of ultra mix the warranty coverage went to two years.
The 346 really shines with a 16" bar, really you can't go wrong with any of them if your just cutting your own wood. Be safe.

Which Husky models are you referring to?

The saws discussed here are 50cc ones, not the ol' 288 and 3120 (they don't have that system).

365, 385XP, 390XP, 395XP...

The 365 filter will keep the fines out even though they are still managing to make it onto the filter but the other models have issues with the fines going through the filter media as well.
The Husky system, although better than Stihl, is not capable of keeping the ultra fine dust out like we get out here. Good on big chips, no good on really small stuff. When you have a good look at the air injection setup it's easy to see that the higher the particle mass, the higher the chance of them being ejected away from the filter.

The filtration improvement on the 261 is clearly a "reverse" engineered Husky style air system, but Stihl has taken it even a step better with the twist on/off automotive canister style system they are using, it's a step up from the standard 346xpne setup. It's not that it is a big deal for someone who maintains their saws. ....

It isn't a big deal, but Stihl have taken it too far, adding bulk and weight in the process. :msp_laugh:

365, 385XP, 390XP, 395XP...

The 365 filter will keep the fines out even though they are still managing to make it onto the filter but the other models have issues with the fines going through the filter media as well.
The Husky system, although better than Stihl, is not capable of keeping the ultra fine dust out like we get out here. Good on big chips, no good on really small stuff. When you have a good look at the air injection setup it's easy to see that the higher the particle mass, the higher the chance of them being ejected away from the filter.

We know from before that your conditions are quite a bit out of the ordinary for most of us. Your ultra fine dust is not an issue for most of us.

260- (i own an 026 ) lighter, older, weaker, doesn't handle as well as a 346 (IMO)-

5100-(had one on extended loan to me) great saw, nice power (maybe more torque but less snappy than a 346), there were issues with set-up (or lack thereof) from the dealers, doesn't handle as well as the 346, heavier than a 346/260---5105 is an improved edition

346- (i own both NE and OE models) middle weight of the three, best handling, great power, snappy throttle, takes very well to a MM and/or porting.

261- heavier, stronger, better filtration, handling may not be a good as a 346, lack of availibility

This pretty much hits it on the head. I would add that in my experience, the 260 has been the most reliable of all of the above saws (sans the 261 as I have only played with it briefly). I also agree that the 5100 has a little more torque than the 346's and 260.

Trying to be 100% objective here, the 346 with a 16" does clearly handle better.
For the real purpose of a 50cc saw limbing and trimming it can't be beat.

But................ The 346 just imho has felt like an XP xtra plastic, maybe it's because I'm old, starting with an 028 in 1978, the 032's, XL925, the 038 series, real heavy rugged built like a tank saws. The 346 as great as it performs has always lacked in feeling like it's built with the rugged construction I have become accustom too.

The 261 "feels" like it is built like the saws of old, like a tank, solid, feels less plasticly if that makes any sense. It is soooooooo smooth you don't notice the weight gain. It really takes the 50cc saw to the next level, if my memory serves my correctly it feels like it has the power of a 361 when they came out of the box before they are broke in good. It would make a homeowner one hell of a firewood saw for his own use. With a MM this saw won't have any issue running a 20" bar with authority. Mine is set up with an 18" and I'm glad I got it that way instead of a 16". If a guy is older, needs a lighter saw, that is as close to vibration free as it gets they need to run one. To me it's like riding in a 65 Ford Mustang (346) nimble quick, kind of a spartan cheap interior and then getting in a 2010 SS Camaro, quiet, refined, smooth, stronger, a more solid feel.
Troll if you run one, as sophisticated and refined as you are it just may change you mind. ;)

indiansprings But................ The 346 just imho has felt like an XP xtra plastic, maybe it's because I'm old, starting with an 028 in 1978, the 032's, XL925, the 038 series, real heavy rugged built like a tank saws. The 346 as great as it performs has always lacked in feeling like it's built with the rugged construction I have become accustom too.

I'm not doubting the quality of the 261, but both saws have about the same amount of Plastic. Maybe it's the 346 being a good bit smaller feelling?

Your old Mustang vs new Camaro is the way I felt when I replaced my old Pouland 3400 with a 346xp 10 years ago. Except more like old Camaro replaced by new Mustang GT, :msp_ohmy: :D

"Simple, the standard filtration on the 5100-S is garbage (and I believe similar on the 5105) "

I do not have experience with the Dolmar filter but looking at it next to the 346XP, I was not overwhelmed...it's made of felt plus has some foam on the carb hole and did not look too well thought out...more of an after-thought and half-ass fix to me. So I came to the same conclusion as yours (albeit...without actually running it thru a field test).

My 5100 filter stays clean for a very long time and no problems cleaning it when it does dirty-up. Just my 2 cents.

Sunfish, that's a good analogy. I hope guys don't get me wrong the 346 is one hell of a saw, nothing wrong with it at all. I think it's what your used too. So many of the old Stihls I grew up on just felt like tanks, really solid, kind of like when I was issued a M-16 after carrying a M-14, it just felt different.

Latest posts

Back