Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yin-yang:
Anyone that thinks the 261 is really all that better than a 346 is blowing hot air. Sure the 261 is a bit more powerful, but only a stop watch can really tell, as ones perception plays too big of a role here.

Oregone you can't tell the difference in power with your hands, people who lean Stihl are letting it get to them, end of story. The 261 is a great saw, but so is the 346 and I personally like the feel of it better, you'll love it.

Andy, Thanks.
I have a feeling you are perfectly right. Sawtroll says that in the 50cc category, the point is...maneuverabilty. That's what I am looking for first and foremost...a flickable saw. I flicked the 260 and dolmar 5105 around and the 346 felt the most balanced easily. It might not stand flat on the ground but I don't care about that. The width of the 346 is compact because it's meant for action, not resting on dirt. I like that...just like a good handling car has a stiff suspension and take turns staying flat when a springy barge cruises leans like a boat when pushed around. Me personally, I prefer to cut wood with the equivalent of a rally car versus a barge. My mind is made up...who needs to cut down general Sherman or do some cutting speed test on a workbench? but everyone needs to be nimble and be able to cut left, right, below, above and that's what matters in the real world (well...my real world at least). A tool should be transparent, disappear from your mind, be part of you. The 346 XP is calling me in that way and I do think that I'll love it. The day a saw weights 1/2 lbs and pulls 10KW..that will be the day full transparency can be experienced but I'll be dead then and so will all of us so for now...I'll settle with the 11 pounders with its 2.7 KW and enjoy every minute of it.

:
My guess is chainsaw aquisition disorder. Just a guess though.

that's kind of mean but it the one post that made me laugh out lout, not the fake LOL, I mean laugh out loud for real.
CAD...Chainsaw Aquisition Disorder..it is too funny. He might get pissed reading that though...,maybe that's why it's so freakin funny, us human only laugh from the heart at situation that involve humiliation, ridicule or some form of pain, what's wrong with us? Oh well, it's how it is, we can't remake our sense of humour.I 've teased people in the past in what I thought was good spirits and that got them all bent outta shape so I tread lightly now when it comes to busting chops..especially among strangers and the cyberworld is notoriously full of strange beings.
Look at me...it's Friday night and here I am dealing with my chainsaw infatuation...that can't be normal.

Last edited:
In the winter, I cure my wood chopping mania by using the 24x3 Makita belt sander (I killed the last Makita and the other one too..a cheap craftsman) . Just finished to build a little kitchen table, after it was glued I sanded the crap out of it. It's made of 2X4 and 2x 8, $30 worth of wood (same in glue though) this is how it looks like..I think woodsmen will enjoy woodworking in other forms so I decided to post something other than my tree cutiing stuff here.

Last edited:
Good Point!

Practical is not any fun, how can a guy like me make a decision on a saw without reading hundreds of threads that argue over the finer points on each model? The dealers around here know almost nothing about the models, I would be lost without this site.

I love the 346XP NE by the way. I had a bad shoulder last year, and I was able to cut my wood all season with the 346 without aggravating the injury. It can buck decent size wood when asked to, even if it really is designed as a limbing saw.

My only complaint is, if you set the 346 down when it is running, it often flops over on its side. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does. Really great saw to run.
Great Post! This is an important point. I know 3-4 people with bad rotator cuffs and it really has me thinking. I can handle swinging my 60cc saw to reach out and limb for short periods but who knows what's happening inside my shoulders.

By the way, I really enjoyed your video comparison of full chisel vs narrow kerf on the 346.

Anyone that thinks the 261 is really all that better than a 346 is blowing hot air. Sure the 261 is a bit more powerful, but only a stop watch can really tell, as ones perception plays too big of a role here.

Oregone you can't tell the difference in power with your hands, people who lean Stihl are letting it get to them, end of story. The 261 is a great saw, but so is the 346 and I personally like the feel of it better, you'll love it.

That is what a 50cc saw is about, isn't it - bucking in the yard can be left to larger saws!

Great Post! This is an important point. I know 3-4 people with bad rotator cuffs and it really has me thinking. I can handle swinging my 60cc saw to reach out and limb for short periods but who knows what's happening inside my shoulders.

By the way, I really enjoyed your video comparison of full chisel vs narrow kerf on the 346.

I am interested to see that. Where is that video?

That is what a 50cc saw is about, isn't it - bucking in the yard can be left to larger saws!

I've used only massively heavy Stihl dinosaurs straight from the fatherland for days and days as I grew up and I hated them. I bought a little 35cc Mc Culloch 3 years ago for needed work as I would buy a toothbrush . But then I had a awakening with this baby thing, a chainsaw could actually be fun to use... I bought a property with too many trees all over the place and I have a French friend who came her to help me, he is an expert, he cuts trees to heat his house in France and he is not scared to go up a 50 foot tree. (I do not do that) Since he visited me last fall, I've caught the chainsaw bug. Now when he comes back to finish the job next fall I want to be ready with the best tooling there is...that's where I come from, That's my angle, everybody here has an angle, I smell it as clear as a fat camember under my nose...they could not care less about this thread, it's all about agenda, it's all about who's got the most knowledge, who's most experienced, who has the best dealership to buy from, who holds the microphone at the podium and who's got the balls to defend it . I feel like I am watching some old sumo wreslers talk about past battles...quite amusing but also very endearing to me as a new comer.:popcorn:

I've used only massively heavy Stihl dinosaurs straight from the fatherland for days and days as I grew up and I hated them. I bought a little 35cc Mc Culloch 3 years ago for needed work as I would buy a toothbrush . But then I had a awakening with this baby thing, a chainsaw could actually be fun to use... I bought a property with too many trees all over the place and I have a French friend who came her to help me, he is an expert, he cuts trees to heat his house in France and he is not scared to go up a 50 foot tree. (I do not do that) Since he visited me last fall, I've caught the chainsaw bug. Now when he comes back to finish the job next fall I want to be ready with the best tooling there is...that's where I come from, That's my angle, everybody here has an angle, I smell it as clear as a fat camember under my nose...they could not care less about this thread, it's all about agenda, it's all about who's got the most knowledge, who's most experienced, who has the best dealership to buy from, who holds the microphone at the podium and who's got the balls to defend it . I feel like I am watching some old sumo wreslers talk about past battles...quite amusing but also very endearing to me as a new comer.:popcorn:

Agenda, what agenda you talking about. I sell Stihl and own about 40 Stihls yet I said you should buy the Husky 346, I got one and I like it. I surely can't see any agenda in that.

So have ya got the 346 yet? That salesman spent alot of time with you, you owe that man a sale..

I like both the 346 and 261, yup that's right I swing both ways Ahahaha.

It's also nice to have a light 50cc saw that can limb and buck.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iMRPgHxaVzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLJVAR6GmkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agenda, what agenda you talking about. I sell Stihl and own about 40 Stihls yet I said you should buy the Husky 346, I got one and I like it. I surely can't see any agenda in that.

So have ya got the 346 yet? That salesman spent alot of time with you, you owe that man a sale..

I sure do and he he will get my money, and I will get the toy.
Next is using it....that's what I am looking forward to and give some amateur feed back right here.:chainsawguy:

:pumpkin:
I like both the 346 and 261, yup that's right I swing both ways Ahahaha.

It's also nice to have a light 50cc saw that can limb and buck.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iMRPgHxaVzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLJVAR6GmkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sh!t fnck man!!! that kicked butt! I really enjoyed watching that.
i HOPE I AM NOT GAY.
(just kiddin')
Thanks for sharing.
But sthil is not yet my deal even if your clip shows well....I don't do bench lifting, mostly rough housing in woods.
But gotta admit...you look determined when you cut, I would not try to mess wih you.

Last edited:
So...where is the ....." a little farmhouse in the antipodes" ?
There is no government tracking device on this site (there might be one on your cell phone though):frown:

Back