Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that 261 looks strong Andyshine what kind of wood is that you are cutting?

The 261 is Brad's saw he built, it's the strongest 50cc saw without a pipe I know of. The wood was black Walnut, it's solid wood, but not nearly as hard as the Ash the 346 was cutting. Nevertheless my 346 is mostly stock and the 261 is way way stronger. I'd say that 261 is as strong as most 70cc saws, no joke.

I'd say that 261 is as strong as most 70cc saws, no joke.--Andyshine77

Don't doubt that at all. I think my stock 261 with a MM feels as strong as a stock MS 361 pulling a 18" bar. I really was skeptical it outperform the 346, counting myself we have five guys who are involved in the firewood operation, four out of five prefer the 261, to be fair some of it might be the "new" saw syndrome, but everyone has commented on how smooth and torquey it is. I just hope this improvement in Stihl's line up causes Husky to raise the bar again, as we all gain from both companies continually pushing to improve.

The 261 is Brad's saw he built, it's the strongest 50cc saw without a pipe I know of. The wood was black Walnut, it's solid wood, but not nearly as hard as the Ash the 346 was cutting. Nevertheless my 346 is mostly stock and the 261 is way way stronger. I'd say that 261 is as strong as most 70cc saws, no joke.

By Brad are you talking about blsnelling? I forgot you are from cincy also.

I'd say that 261 is as strong as most 70cc saws, no joke.--Andyshine77

Don't doubt that at all. I think my stock 261 with a MM feels as strong as a stock MS 361 pulling a 18" bar. I really was skeptical it outperform the 346, counting myself we have five guys who are involved in the firewood operation, four out of five prefer the 261, to be fair some of it might be the "new" saw syndrome, but everyone has commented on how smooth and torquey it is. I just hope this improvement in Stihl's line up causes Husky to raise the bar again, as we all gain from both companies continually pushing to improve.

No doubt about it the 261 is smooth powerful saw, it should be as it took Stihl 20+ years to make it lol.:cheers:

So...where is the ....." a little farmhouse in the antipodes" ?
There is no government tracking device on this site (there might be one on your cell phone though):frown:

Half a world away from you blokes where the men are men, the timber's like concrete and we aren't afraid of our Gay mates as they make the best Lattés :D

I ain't afraid of gay coffee, I am French.
Not my stuff but my belief is that people should be free to be who they are.
Antipodes sounds like vacation to me. I live in Chicago snow land, not too exotic but it has its pluses.
Regarding the MS261, that was my initial pick...there is a great video showing the strato air management in the engine (like X-torq), the pre-filtration system (similar to 346XP) and the soft mount. Filter looks very optimized and well designed, better than dolmar or Husky as a matter fact.
Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIaHBpPvVI

People do have great things to say about this saw but I am still sticking with Husqvarna. If I could find a 261 for less than $500 with a courteous and willing to sell dealer, it would be a different story.

I ain't afraid of gay coffee, I am French.
Not my stuff but my belief is that people should be free to be who they are.
Antipodes sounds like vacation to me. I live in Chicago snow land, not too exotic but it has its pluses.
Regarding the MS261, that was my initial pick...there is a great video showing the strato air management in the engine (like X-torq), the pre-filtration system (similar to 346XP) and the soft mount. Filter looks very optimized and well designed, better than dolmar or Husky as a matter fact.
Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIaHBpPvVI

People do have great things to say about this saw but I am still sticking with Husqvarna. If I could find a 261 for less than $500 with a courteous and willing to sell dealer, it would be a different story.

You should have stopped in at Russo's .......Husky and Stihl dealer ....You might be suprized at the prices...Was quoted 569.99 for ms-362...ms-660/32' 949.99......not real bad pricing ..

Last edited:
Check it out.

I'd say the biggest improvement over the 260 is the filtration, It's the best I've seen so far, the Dolmar 7900 HD filter is great as well.

:msp_bored:
I like both the 346 and 261, yup that's right I swing both ways Ahahaha.

It's also nice to have a light 50cc saw that can limb and buck.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iMRPgHxaVzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLJVAR6GmkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andy shine 77,
I know where you come from...it makes me realize that I do not belong here.
I am sorry about that. My purpose with finding the best chainsaw was not a speed issue, it was about reliability, efficiency, tossability, easy to fix, no clogged filters,easy start, etc.....what works best in the field.
Like a good car, not a top fuel. I don't care for fake SUV's, econocars, minivans' however
I owned a WRX sti's Subaru, a Mustang, A Chevy Nova, and might buy a Challenger SRT 8 if not a nissan GTR if I feel a bit nutty but I am not shopping for a nitro boosted , not usable in the street , top fuel dragster 3000 bhp either.
Middle ground, what's sensible, workable easy yet powerful is my quest, Maybe I just need a top handle fior most of what i NEED after all?
For show, I'd buy the 3120XP but it'd stay in the garage after that.
Wait for my video of a 346 XP though...I've been looking forward to play the dragster queen with a motorized wood cutting thingy and your videos just gave me the motivation to do just that.Yeah I am vain but what rhe hell, that's my amusement right now.
What I am debating about now is what wood I'll use....that walnut looked soft and dry but the ash was wet ...wet is the stuff I usually cut...pine is soft, It'll make the 261 look slow...hmmmm maybe I should do that.
BTW, your husky looks like it has a 0.5" long bar on it...is that for ice carving ?
My baby Mac culloch might have a longer bar than that.
Just kidding..it's the same lenght...16"
I talk sh!t and stuff but I do wish the 346 had a nice round filter like the MS 261, that punny amateur filtre on the Husky does bug me (mentally at least) I don't even own the thing yet...geez.

Last edited:
:msp_bored:

Andy shine 77,
I know where you come from...it makes me realize that I do not belong here.
I am sorry about that. My purpose with finding the best chainsaw was not a speed issue, it was about reliability, efficiency, tossability, easy to fix, no clogged filters,.....what works best in the field. Like a good car, not a top fuel. I hate SUV's and econocar's or minivans' however I love WRX sti's Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, but not shopping for a nitro boosted unusable in the street top fuel dragster either. Do you see the middle ground here? the sensible, workable easy yetb powerful deal? Maybe I just want a top handle after all?
If I want to show off, Then I'll buy the 3120XP.
Wait for my video of a 346 XP though...I've been looking forward to play the dragster queen with a motorized wood cutting thingy.

Sure I see where you're coming from, I have stock saws that are going to stay that way, I actually prefer most things as they come from the factory. Nothing to do with showing off to me, just a little fun, can't wait for your vid.

Andyshine,
I was going to buy the 346XP last week end but more important bills came up and my tax check was delayed (government stuff)
I should be able to buy it this week end. You have me questioning the MS 261 vs 346XP with your video and it bugs me.
In term of weight, is there really a difference? For all day long work, I am debating power against weight.
Would you pick the Stihl over the Husky, honestly?
I am going on 50 (years of age) and my back is the problem. I even considered buying the smallest XP with a rear handle. It's more expensive than the 346...ahh forget that. I will buy the 346. I wish Stihl could have made the 261 lighter instead of heavier than the 260.

The question really is irrelevant, as the Husky is the only one that are built and handles like a 50cc saw should be! :)

Those videos also are mostly irrelevant, as they are only about one saw of each model, in one type and size of wood (that admittedly was inconsistant) and there was no attempt to find the ideal gearing and cutting attachment for each saw. I don't even think the cuts were made on the same day. It is cool to look at, but doesn't really tell you anything, except what happened there and then. :)

Also, we don't know how the warm-up and chain sharpening before the cuts were handled.

It takes a lot more effort to make a really relevant comparison!

Last edited:
The question really is irrelevant, as the Husky is the only one that are built and handles like a 50cc saw should be! :)

Those videos also are mostly irrelevant, as they are only about one saw of each model, in one type and size of wood (that admittedly was inconsistant) and there was no attempt to find the ideal gearing and cutting attachment for each saw. I don't even think the cuts were made on the same day. It is cool to look at, but doesn't really tell you anything, except what happened there and then. :)

Also, we don't know how the warm-up and chain sharpening before the cuts were handled.

It takes a lot more effort to make a really relevant comparison!

Oh my what have done Sawtroll, it appears you don't practice what you preach. Have you ran a 261 in your own hands to back up your opinion, didn't think so. However ole boy your in luck, I have. I can assure you from running BOTH in pure stock form the 261 has nothing worry about concerning the 346 in the cut. I don't think its alot stronger than the 346 but its obviously just as strong if not a tad more. It pulls extremely well in the cut.

Far as handling have you cut a stick of wood with a 261 to make any assumtions at all, didn't think so. Your in luck though, I actually found handling the 261 felt lighter and more nimble than the 346 because the wieght is spread out over the entire saw where as the weight of the 346 seems to feel 100% directly below the top handle due to its smaller overall size. As you well know a small 14lb block of lead feels much heavier than a 14 lb saw, the differance being the weight is spread out over the saw. Even so I still like my 346 but for you to say only the Husky is built and handles like a 50cc saw should is non-sense. No fear though I understand your reasoning, yes we know, sales are down,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Andyshine,
I was going to buy the 346XP last week end but more important bills came up and my tax check was delayed (government stuff)
I should be able to buy it this week end. You have me questioning the MS 261 vs 346XP with your video and it bugs me.
In term of weight, is there really a difference? For all day long work, I am debating power against weight.
Would you pick the Stihl over the Husky, honestly?
I am going on 50 (years of age) and my back is the problem. I even considered buying the smallest XP with a rear handle. It's more expensive than the 346...ahh forget that. I will buy the 346. I wish Stihl could have made the 261 lighter instead of heavier than the 260.

You are falling into the trap...:) My first post is so much more relevant now...I would cut and post but having to step out and see how many pages of pontifications and how many views of those reading every word makes the point better than I can.

I'm past fifty...that Toby Kieth song comes to mind (As Good As I Once Was) and use a variety of saws from time to time..some days perfectly happy with a Husqvarna 272XP made from a box of parts, another a 365 made into a 372...a Jonsered 2094 at times..and a 455 other times..they all put wood in the truck! The entire Stilh vs. Husqvarna thing will drive you nuts if you let it...the entire perfect saw in a price & displacement size will do the same...you can go on and on and its always a moving target as companies evolve their product lines. I can tell you one thing. Never spend a dollar based on what you see in a video! Do your own research...the members here here will inform you on the best way to spend your money as much as your willing to be informed..:) If the cool factor is beginning to make an impact and your going to have to wait....why not evaluate something like the Husqvarna 562?

Latest posts

Back