Stock Appearing Race Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of a 101 crank that was welded on by ole Horstman.

]

Not easy, not impossible.

Fred
Well of course but Horstman wasn't your average shade tree mechanic either.Nothing is impossoble,maybe a little impracticle in light of other methods though.You be the judge on that one.

Al, I appreciate your backhanded acceptance more than you know, but Benny Whitifeld, Marcel Vincent, Harry Boedecker, Giles Leveque, Ed Heard, and several others have successfully stroked chainsaw cranks in shops that are not near as advanced as your workplace.

I, of course, cannot do it, but I am hesitant to believe that all of these guys are mechanical geniuses.

All of them have more talent machining than I do, but that's like beating half the guys on this site in a spelling contest. J/K guys.

Fred

Thanks Al, I appreciate that erstaz concession.

Someone called me and I finally realized how my explaination is failing. Let me better explain.

To stroke the 266/61 crank 2mm the pin must be offset 1 mm, because it goes up 1 extra mm and down 1 extra mm.

The entire hole is not being welded up, only 1 mm of the hole is being welded. The entire hole does not need to be drilled only 1 mm of material needs to be removed.

If I had to do this, I would overdrill the hole 2mm and build a jig that holds the crank halves and use some sort of pins to located the centerpin and then have it welded by a the best welder I could find at a marina or CAT shop.
Fred

Thanks Al, I appreciate that erstaz concession.
Fred
Erstaz??? Good grief Fred you are either reading the dictionary or working too many cross-words.I only do three of the later dailey myself.;)

Now,than hole deal.You would have to be danged good the just weld up a little bit and still keep it centered.

Oh and that Mac crank.Mac as I 'm sure you are well knowlegable of does not use a multi piece crank,other than perhap pieces for a full circle deal.I was always under the assumption that Horstman sold billet turned full cicle strokers complete with the spacer for the stuffer to keep from jambing the rod through it.

I must fess up,I have welded a crank but it was on a compresser turning 1500 rpm not a 12 thou plus hotsaw.If it makes you feel any better I do have a screwed up crank from a 10-10 Mac I could weld up and re-turn.It's junk as it is anyway.I ,however have no clue as to what the alloy for the crank is,cast or steel.I had presumed nodular iron but I really don't know.Whatever,when in doubt,nickle will hold anything.

"reading the dictionary or working too many cross-words.I only do three of the later dailey myself."

So I would have to guess you are either retired or in a union.:)

Here is a picture of a 101 crank that was welded on by ole Horstman.

Not easy, not impossible.

Fred

Mr. Im pretty sure thats a sp125 crank not a 101-who is Kurk Hiser-they said he was the operator when that saw won all those contests

Mr. Im pretty sure thats a sp125 crank not a 101-who is Kurk Hiser-they said he was the operator when that saw won all those contests
I don't know how you could tell by the picture.It was just a blur to me.I'm not even sure what Fred was attempting to point out ??Maybe welds on the counter weight or something, not exactly the same as welding a pin.

To further add to my confusion,how much would a person actually gain with approx 75 thou more stroke?It wouldn't be much much. Unless this was a method to increase the comp ratio without building a removable head.

Now don't get me wrong, it's interesting conversation but I don't get the big picture I guess. On an old Mac I do get it.With a stroker and a giant overbore you can pump a 101 out to over 8 cu in but that's a lot different than just a scant few cc's on a Husky engine.

I have visions of those alledged shade tree mechanics attempting to file out the hole in the wheels with a round file or something.Then reassembling the crank with a big vise and a pair of 4 pound brass hammers.Ha,this I gotta see.:p

The picture I posted a couple of days ago was me flipping you off while pointing at the crank. Note the finger pointing. How can I say it any plainer. Kurt Hiser is the man. If you don't know the man, you are apparently not in the loop.

attachment.php

Fred

I don't know how you could tell by the picture.It was just a blur to me.I'm not even sure what Fred was attempting to point out ??Maybe welds on the counter weight or something, not exactly the same as welding a pin.

To further add to my confusion,how much would a person actually gain with approx 75 thou more stroke?It wouldn't be much much. Unless this was a method to increase the comp ratio without building a removable head.

Now don't get me wrong, it's interesting conversation but I don't get the big picture I guess. On an old Mac I do get it.With a stroker and a giant overbore you can pump a 101 out to over 8 cu in but that's a lot different than just a scant few cc's on a Husky engine.

I have visions of those alledged shade tree mechanics attempting to file out the hole in the wheels with a round file or something.Then reassembling the crank with a big vise and a pair of 4 pound brass hammers.Ha,this I gotta see.:p

Al, we were orginally discussing the relative ease of stroking a 272 crank or machining down a 181 crank. This is where the 2mm comes into play. THERE IS 2MM STROKE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO.

You then proceeded to curtly interject your opinion. If you interrupt cognitive thought, please keep up.

Do not try to say you so boorishly refuted because you were concerned people who were not qualified might attempt to try for themself; conversely they would not attempt to chuck a 181 crank in a lathe and cut it down for a 272 either, but you were not so concerned with that.

Fred

Al, Iv never seen a 101 crank with counter weights it is my understanding that they did not have them however sp125s did - I could be wrong on this?

mr. I have not had confidence that you knew what you were talk'n about sence the beginning about welding the hole up on a crank in someones back yard, however welding a simple bead is another matter. I called you out, you admited you were wrong, thats good enough for me.
now to return the favor I will admit Im not a good speller, Im a red neck and I cant talk very plain either. But when I get ready to tell a man to go to h3ll Ill look him in the eyes and do it and there will be no room for doubt as to what I have said, not use some code in a blurry picture.
If it bothers you that much to be called on something when you are wrong, then be right, or stick to cross word puzzles.

If we were looking eye to eye, I doubt you would be "going on" so much.

I was in fact never wrong. I might have not states my case in a way your hillbilly mind could grope on to, but have meant the exact same thing all along.

That crank is a custom Horstman piece. It was just like a thousand other Horstman craks save the "plates" that were welded on it.

Furthermore I will break it down for you like I would a small child, the engine is in my possession. Sometimes adults do one thing to tell people many things. In this case I took a picture to tell you:

1. F*** Off
2. The saw is in my possession
3. Here's your sign. ( I threw that one in so you could understand it)

BTW I work over 40 hrs a week and go to college. I care more about my education than I do about saws. I have an exhaustive vocabulary because I read books. Try it.

Al,

The Husky crank is three parts. Each bell and the centerpin where the rod rides. Weld up the hole and drill it a little further to outside and reinstall the pin.

Not easy measurement, but do-able with a decent jig made for the application.

You still need to clearance the case, but not impossible.

Fred
I bet you have never looked a man in the eye and told him to go to h3ll-just for catch'n you when you were wrong-you have probly never looked a man in the eye at all

"weld up the hole" is pretty simple even for my redneck mind (Im a flatlander not a hillbilly)

horstman is not a backyard mechanic nor is he one of the several backyard buddies that you know.

If that pile of junk you call a saw was mine Id have it in the bay for sell to.

I am the second person on this one thread that is totaly exhausted of your vocabulary, (not to mention whole sites that have run you off), when you run the rest of them off then you can run your foul mouth, spout off your worthless, useless information and be wrong all you want.

I care about supper more than I do saws and its ready-see you around-I hope

Im done with this:censored:

You are the same want-to-be that had it out with Dean on another site aren't you?

Fred

horstman is not a backyard mechanic nor is he one of the several backyard buddies that you know.

The guys I mentioned included the best in the world. If I had a cup I would put what you know about saws in it, then you could have that for dinner.

Fred

absolutly not - -Iv got a great amount of respect for dean-the only disagreement Iv had on any site about anything is right here-I said you were wrong -you admited you were wrong(sorta)now you are call'n me names and cuss'n at me because your embarrassed-only thing I have left to say to you I must say in person .

and with what you know Id starve

Last edited:
Okay, here it goes. My name is Fred and sometimes I say things and people have no idea what I mean.

There I said it. Sorry again that I did not relate what was in mind into a manner that you could understand. BTW you might call Falicon and the other motorcycle machine shops and ask them how they do it.

Hell, maybe I will.

BTW if someone is hostile to me I always return the favor, ask the guys I work with. HAHAHAHA Two of them have cried since I started here, but they now know to be respectful if they want to be respected.

Fred

Back