Story of the day - you asked all the right questions, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I8 months ago a old guy (mid 80's, but very able) came to me with a Homelite ZIP and an 041 FB. Both toast from 30 years of storage in the barn, with gas.. Then he whips out an XL12 from the back of his truck - it was still able to turn over so I said I'd look at it. He had moved to town and wanted to heat his house with the woodstove... Had a truck load of dry 6 inch poles that just needed to be trimmed to length, a few a month...

No problem. Fixed the carb on his XL12, dug the tar out of the fuel tank etc etc.. Ran "o.k.". Good backup saw. Chastised him for using old engine oil for bar oil in all his saws, and traded his old junkers for a powder-puff Stihl 024 - no paint missing and you could still see the machining marks on the piston. Very sweet saw. Took him though the starting, safety, fuel, fuel mix, bar oil, air filter, fuel filter, owners manual, blah blah blah, gave him mix for 1 gallon and told him to buy more of the same, and off he went. He loved that saw.....

Called me last week. "My saw won't rev up". o.k. bring it over...

Hmmm, Air filter is down to the wire mesh (these have a "flocking" over wire mesh - the mesh is just a support). Asked him what he'd done to the filter - the local hardware store told him - soak it in gas and scrub vigorously with a tooth brush... he was apologizing for "not being able to get all that fluff off the wires" !!! Quick pull over and... the unmistakable click clack click clack of piston slap...

Starts, but won't rev up... smokes like crazy... The spark arrester was completely blocked. Thick tarry oil inside the muffler.. Hmmm, whip off the muffler cover, starts, revs, but runs like crap. Fuel tank - strange gray looking mix... Fuel filter gummed up.. O.k. what mix are you using? "like you told me, 50:1". He tells me he even used the small bottle of mix I gave him as a measure. Peek in the plug hole - scored bore on the exhaust side...

O.k. so you using 50:1, what mix oil are you using? "Stihl of course, like you told me..."... Damn...

Changed the fuel filter, fresh gas, dump the spark arrester, new plug, sucked through the new gas and runs pretty good (considering the slapping piston and scored bore). Even cut wood o.k.. ..

Had a long talk about filters, fuel and maintenance, with many deviations so he could tell his life story, and the "rest of the story" comes out... back in the mid 60's when he bought his 041 (the very early model) he had 25 acres of windfall to clean up on his farm. Saved money buy using old engine oil for bar oil, and by buying the "other oil" in bulk - he bought 5 GALLONS of "mix" in 1966.... decided not to buy any more as he has over half a bucket left... still using it... a 50:1... Says Stihl on the bucket...

...and, he's not sure now if it's mix or bar oil!!! Worked o.k. in his homelite zip at 16:1... (this is bound to excite raisedbywolves...)

Good story. Where's the guy who earlier posted about Stihl only selling in dealerships and not online? This is a prime example as to why the dedicated dealer is absolutely priceless. I know all folks at the dealer aren't as good as Andy, or the folks at my dealership. But yay for the guy at the hardware store who gave the excellent advice on filter maintenance. :dizzy: He probably sells chainsaws.

Long live the good saw dealer!

So Andy, is the guy's saw salvagable? I hope so for his sake.

Jeff

Hey, c'mon now. I used to run 16:1 non-detergent motor oil as the mix in dad's old Zip. Just like it said on the tag. Sure did keep the mosquitoes away.

Lakeside53 said:
I8 months ago a old guy (mid 80's, but very able) came to me with a Homelite ZIP and an 041 FB. Both toast from 30 years of storage in the barn, with gas.. Then he whips out an XL12 from the back of his truck - it was still able to turn over so I said I'd look at it. He had moved to town and wanted to heat his house with the woodstove... Had a truck load of dry 6 inch poles that just needed to be trimmed to length, a few a month...

No problem. Fixed the carb on his XL12, dug the tar out of the fuel tank etc etc.. Ran "o.k.". Good backup saw. Chastised him for using old engine oil for bar oil in all his saws, and traded his old junkers for a powder-puff Stihl 024 - no paint missing and you could still see the machining marks on the piston. Very sweet saw. Took him though the starting, safety, fuel, fuel mix, bar oil, air filter, fuel filter, owners manual, blah blah blah, gave him mix for 1 gallon and told him to buy more of the same, and off he went. He loved that saw.....

Called me last week. "My saw won't rev up". o.k. bring it over...

Hmmm, Air filter is down to the wire mesh (these have a "flocking" over wire mesh - the mesh is just a support). Asked him what he'd done to the filter - the local hardware store told him - soak it in gas and scrub vigorously with a tooth brush... he was apologizing for "not being able to get all that fluff off the wires" !!! Quick pull over and... the unmistakable click clack click clack of piston slap...

Starts, but won't rev up... smokes like crazy... The spark arrester was completely blocked. Thick tarry oil inside the muffler.. Hmmm, whip off the muffler cover, starts, revs, but runs like crap. Fuel tank - strange gray looking mix... Fuel filter gummed up.. O.k. what mix are you using? "like you told me, 50:1". He tells me he even used the small bottle of mix I gave him as a measure. Peek in the plug hole - scored bore on the exhaust side...

O.k. so you using 50:1, what mix oil are you using? "Stihl of course, like you told me..."... Damn...

Changed the fuel filter, fresh gas, dump the spark arrester, new plug, sucked through the new gas and runs pretty good (considering the slapping piston and scored bore). Even cut wood o.k.. ..

Had a long talk about filters, fuel and maintenance, with many deviations so he could tell his life story, and the "rest of the story" comes out... back in the mid 60's when he bought his 041 (the very early model) he had 25 acres of windfall to clean up on his farm. Saved money buy using old engine oil for bar oil, and by buying the "other oil" in bulk - he bought 5 GALLONS of "mix" in 1966.... decided not to buy any more as he has over half a bucket left... still using it... a 50:1... Says Stihl on the bucket...

...and, he's not sure now if it's mix or bar oil!!! Worked o.k. in his homelite zip at 16:1... (this is bound to excite raisedbywolves...)

haha, now that was a good one. Come on now, the mix is only 40 years old Lake.,hahahaha. That feller must be one tight ole sucker..........

Who has the XL-12 and how is it doing? Get him to fatten his mix up and it will probably be his best option. Try explaining to somebody that the bar adjusting stump needs to be lined up with the hole in the bar before you tighten the cover. Or the chain needs to run on the rim. Some people can wreck an anvil. I sometimes wonder if people just don't care or are they getting a mental disability check every month.

fishhuntcutwood said:
But yay for the guy at the hardware store who gave the excellent advice on filter maintenance. :dizzy: He probably sells chainsaws.

So Andy, is the guy's saw salvageable? I hope so for his sake.

Jeff
Sadly the hardware store is a Echo dealer.... but who knows - maybe the forklift driver gave the advise... or maybe not...

The saw "works", so he'll keep using it...

old guys not all alike

OK heres one that happened while I was at the local dealer guy about 75 or so brings in a nice looking mid sized husky says needs to clear some trees his son sent him to the shop for a new saw as this one wouldn't start and the chain wouldn't tighten the shop owner yes a woman started it in about five mins (with fresh gas) then went on to tell him or his son to loosen the bolts before turning the chain adjuster hum oh and the side cover was cracked also. good advise just buy new huh the american way!!

Latest posts

Back