Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We think of Hickory as handle wood but I did see a few strips of Hickory hardwood flooring once in a sample display, never got to install any of it though. Birch, oak and maple made up most of the hardwood flooring in these parts with a smattering of other exotics for trim lines or inlays. From the looks of those boards there will be a good deal of color variations throughout the floor and treads.

We think of Hickory as handle wood but I did see a few strips of Hickory hardwood flooring once in a sample display, never got to install any of it though. Birch, oak and maple made up most of the hardwood flooring in these parts with a smattering of other exotics for trim lines or inlays. From the looks of those boards there will be a good deal of color variations throughout the floor and treads.
Yes there is quite a wide range of color to it, with the light side looking a lot like ash and the darker range like cherry. Didn't get pics of the light stuff but in the following pic of the treads stacked up you can get an idea. We grain/color matched as best we could. The stuff is very hard and rather brittle and machines pretty good but burns very easy so it must stay in motion through the entire cut. Fortunately I have a very nice one hoss, 8 speed stock feeder on my largest shaper...good steady feed....no hitches to get another grip etc.

IMG_1708.jpgIMG_1710.jpgIMG_1711.jpgIMG_1712.jpgIMG_1713.jpg

Yes there is quite a wide range of color to it, with the light side looking a lot like ash and the darker range like cherry. Didn't get pics of the light stuff but in the following pic of the treads stacked up you can get an idea. We grain/color matched as best we could. The stuff is very hard and rather brittle and machines pretty good but burns very easy so it must stay in motion through the entire cut. Fortunately I have a very nice one hoss, 8 speed stock feeder on my largest shaper...good steady feed....no hitches to get another grip etc.

View attachment 947542View attachment 947543View attachment 947544View attachment 947545View attachment 947546
They look good Robin, should make a very nice install and the colors will jump out when the finish is applied.

They look good Robin, should make a very nice install and the colors will jump out when the finish is applied.
Yeah....I think they will get a black stain like the flooring so even the extreme differences will be muted.....to bad some of it would really shine with a clear finish.....

Wanted to show you all the tread joinery........some treads are made from one plank...others from 3-4 different pieces, but either way thae treads are made of 3-4 pieces and the double wedge T&G joint is what I always use.....good enhanced glue surface area for both sides of the joint. The treads made from one plank make the joint totally disappear ....but doing panels/treads in this manner makes them remain flat and not warp.

IMG_1714.jpgIMG_1715.jpg

Yeah....I think they will get a black stain like the flooring so even the extreme differences will be muted.....to bad some of it would really shine with a clear finish.....

Wanted to show you all the tread joinery........some treads are made from one plank...others from 3-4 different pieces, but either way thae treads are made of 3-4 pieces and the double wedge T&G joint is what I always use.....good enhanced glue surface area for both sides of the joint. The treads made from one plank make the joint totally disappear ....but doing panels/treads in this manner makes them remain flat and not warp.

View attachment 947589View attachment 947590
I like the idea of that double T&G joint in an item that will bear a load, lots of glue to wood surface contact for strength.

I like the idea of that double T&G joint in an item that will bear a load, lots of glue to wood surface contact for strength.
Yeah it's a great joint!! I had a shaper cuter before that did the same joint but was not right.......but of course I did not know that it wasn't correct. Me and Mikey made up 36 3/4" pipe clamps to do a large stair job........5 flights, some circular some straight. In trying to force the joints together we bent many clamps but got the job done......then I replaced the cutter with the one I have now and the pieces just slide together.....LOL!!!

We are currently having difficulty getting enough stair treads made here this year, so many houses being built that the few shops here making them cannot keep up. Waiting 3 - 4 weeks is becoming common.

We are currently having difficulty getting enough stair treads made here this year, so many houses being built that the few shops here making them cannot keep up. Waiting 3 - 4 weeks is becoming common.
I don't know much about the supply chain for stair parts around here as almost all stairs I build are custom, one-off affairs. I used to use store bought treads but they were quite poorly made with no attention to color or grain match....just glued together parts....whatever came off the machines. As the years went by they just got worse and worse. Once I had the equipment to make them efficiently myself I did and never looked back!
That big Wadkin saw is a real game changer when it comes to making and cutting the returns on on the tread ends!! We cut the miters on the Unisaw the treads on end in a sled and set the stops on the Wadkin to cut crosscuts! Prefect fits each and every one....no hand planning or chisel work needed. Damn....that saw is worth every cent I spent and every hour it took to get it here from New Glascow, rebuild it and get it adjusted to it's best. A true joy to use!!!

I don't know much about the supply chain for stair parts around here as almost all stairs I build are custom, one-off affairs. I used to use store bought treads but they were quite poorly made with no attention to color or grain match....just glued together parts....whatever came off the machines. As the years went by they just got worse and worse. Once I had the equipment to make them efficiently myself I did and never looked back!
That big Wadkin saw is a real game changer when it comes to making and cutting the returns on on the tread ends!! We cut the miters on the Unisaw the treads on end in a sled and set the stops on the Wadkin to cut crosscuts! Prefect fits each and every one....no hand planning or chisel work needed. Damn....that saw is worth every cent I spent and every hour it took to get it here from New Glascow, rebuild it and get it adjusted to it's best. A true joy to use!!!
There is three local custom shops making them here and they cannot keep up with the demand, there are around 2,200 - 2,500 houses under construction now and many high rise buildings all going hells bells for the sky. The material supply chain cannot keep up with the demand. All finish materials are well behind their expected delivery dates. The custom stair component supply house, Duart , we get our materials from is a month behind on current orders

So.....went up to the old fella's garage to put the plow on ....a struggle it was.... The old fella been acquiring more ****....gonna have to plow in and back out I guess...... No place left to turn around!! He' a good 'ol' boy but not a forward thinker when it come to some things... Grabbed a couple pics of one of his latest arrivals.........I would turn that into a sweet rod if it were mine.......327 with a three duce setup and a vette or Jag narrowed rear...dic brake front....old school.....it wouuld be aweome!! It's solid as a rock........not sure what year Citroen...front wheel drive ......he'd **** if he heard me go on about what i would do to it. He's a "purest"......me?...not so much.....LOL!!!!

IMG_1716.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_1718.jpgIMG_1719.jpg

So.....went up to the old fella's garage to put the plow on ....a struggle it was.... The old fella been acquiring more ****....gonna have to plow in and back out I guess...... No place left to turn around!! He' a good 'ol' boy but not a forward thinker when it come to some things... Grabbed a couple pics of one of his latest arrivals.........I would turn that into a sweet rod if it were mine.......327 with a three duce setup and a vette or Jag narrowed rear...dic brake front....old school.....it wouuld be aweome!! It's solid as a rock........not sure what year Citroen...front wheel drive ......he'd **** if he heard me go on about what i would do to it. He's a "purest"......me?...not so much.....LOL!!!!

View attachment 948058View attachment 948059View attachment 948060View attachment 948061

miles of fender.......

And suicide doors too!!!!....mmmmmmm!!!!! Cab is not more than 50 inches wide at the drivers seat.......I mean look were the steering wheel is compared to the front wheels!!... and with the low roof no need to chop it!!! Great Rod!!!!
I started to look for a truck like my God Fathers about 10 years too late.
Terraplane........

Speaking of Citroen`s there was one stored in a garage not far from where I grew up. It belonged to a Senator that had a summer residence here on the coast. I had the job of recovering all the exterior surfaces of that garage one summer when I was about 17 -18 years old. All cedar shingles to keep it looking vintage and left to silver out with weathering. Anyway the Citroen was a 36 and looked much like Robins pic and just like the pic I posted below. I think it had some sort of a two stroke engine in it as it smoked a blue stream every time it was started, would have made a great rod but the owner wouldn`t even entertain the thought of selling it.

CITROENTractionAvant11LHard-topCabriolet-1993_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back