Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Citroen`s there was one stored in a garage not far from where I grew up. It belonged to a Senator that had a summer residence here on the coast. I had the job of recovering all the exterior surfaces of that garage one summer when I was about 17 -18 years old. All cedar shingles to keep it looking vintage and left to silver out with weathering. Anyway the Citroen was a 36 and looked much like Robins pic and just like the pic I posted below. I think it had some sort of a two stroke engine in it as it smoked a blue stream every time it was started, would have made a great rod but the owner wouldn`t even entertain the thought of selling it.

CITROENTractionAvant11LHard-topCabriolet-1993_1.jpg
Been thinking bout that car since this morning, it might have been a diesel engine in it, it was noisy and emmitted blue smoke is all I remember. Never had a drive in it but he did have another Citroen , somewhat newer, maybe 60`s era that was just a noisy lil bastage, white in color and rode about like a hay wagon.

Been thinking bout that car since this morning, it might have been a diesel engine in it, it was noisy and emmitted blue smoke is all I remember. Never had a drive in it but he did have another Citroen , somewhat newer, maybe 60`s era that was just a noisy lil bastage, white in color and rode about like a hay wagon.
The old fella ha another one .....much smaller. From the 50 early 60's. 2CV...probably what you are thinking of. Looks like this.....
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

The old fella ha another one .....much smaller. From the 50 early 60's. 2CV...probably what you are thinking of. Looks like this.....
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0
Ya, that`s it, another miserable device, his was a white one. Bone rattler POS as far as a young feller driving a 64 Chev 3/4 ton 292 straight 6 with a 4 speed posi traction Camper Special. Truck felt solid and that Citroen surely did not. He would ask me to run into the,Village , to pick up supplies in that rattletrap, I would rather walked than drive it but took my truck instead.

The 60's D21, D21 Special and Palace were outstanding cars with a ride you wouldn't believe . They looked kind of similar to the old Saab 96 but much bigger and worlds more advanced. They had hydraulic suspension front and rear. When you started them up you had to wait a few seconds and the front end would go up then the rear would too...then you could go. They were very comfortable and rode like you were on a cloud. My first MIL always drove them until they topped importing them and the last used ones dried up. Was a dealer next town over....the last car she owned before buying the first Citroën was a Packard convertable. They were not over powered and it took quite a bit to operate the complex hydraulic systems. They were wide r on the front than the rear and could actually drive with only one rear wheel !!!! The other wild thing was there was a lever down under the dash on the left side that you coiuld reach and adjust ride height on the fly!!! But that wasn't all...they didn't come with a jack to changa a flat.......they came with a funny jack stand.......if you had to remove a tyre you would set the ride to full up...get out and put the jack stand in the spot that was made for it....then set the ride height to full down ....the car would settle onto the stand and would pick the offending wheel clear off the ground!! Some crazy French car!!! First pic is one at rest....second is at normal ride height.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...A7A14A8BE6F2&selectedIndex=24&qpvt=citroën+ds
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...0FE85B718341CA525957AD0B58E2&selectedIndex=64

Ya, that`s it, another miserable device, his was a white one. Bone rattler POS as far as a young feller driving a 64 Chev 3/4 ton 292 straight 6 with a 4 speed posi traction Camper Special. Truck felt solid and that Citroen surely did not. He would ask me to run into the,Village , to pick up supplies in that rattletrap, I would rather walked than drive it but took my truck instead.
The old fella loves his......he drives it a fair amount in the summer. Only 2 cyl, four speed with the shifter ticking straight out of the dash....makes a VW beetle look like a Caddy!!!!

The 60's D21, D21 Special and Palace were outstanding cars with a ride you wouldn't believe . They looked kind of similar to the old Saab 96 but much bigger and worlds more advanced. They had hydraulic suspension front and rear. When you started them up you had to wait a few seconds and the front end would go up then the rear would too...then you could go. They were very comfortable and rode like you were on a cloud. My first MIL always drove them until they topped importing them and the last used ones dried up. Was a dealer next town over....the last car she owned before buying the first Citroën was a Packard convertable. They were not over powered and it took quite a bit to operate the complex hydraulic systems. They were wide r on the front than the rear and could actually drive with only one rear wheel !!!! The other wild thing was there was a lever down under the dash on the left side that you coiuld reach and adjust ride height on the fly!!! But that wasn't all...they didn't come with a jack to changa a flat.......they came with a funny jack stand.......if you had to remove a tyre you would set the ride to full up...get out and put the jack stand in the spot that was made for it....then set the ride height to full down ....the car would settle onto the stand and would pick the offending wheel clear off the ground!! Some crazy French car!!! First pic is one at rest....second is at normal ride height.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...A7A14A8BE6F2&selectedIndex=24&qpvt=citroën+ds
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...0FE85B718341CA525957AD0B58E2&selectedIndex=64
Yeah, that`s funny as that was what the Senator had back in Ottawa for his every day driver, his daughter brought it down here once I remember it was a dark blue body with a yellowish roof, the tire jacking deal brings back memories. He had told me about the hydraulic ride and tire changing feature. I never had to change a tire on one of the Citroens but I did get sucked into changing a tire on his daughters VW van, now that`s another story.

LOL the MIL was a great old girl...wild, smart and very attractive in her day. Married A Major in the Air Force during WWII. She drove like hell everywhere she went....had a blue D21 Palace when I started going out with her daughter....it was known around town as "The Blue Blurr". First time I took her daughter home after school I was heading down the road they lived on and met Fern in The Blue Blurr right in the middle of a sharp left hand corner with a ridge all the way across the road in the middle of it......narrow dirt road...she was going about 55 MPH same as always...tar or dirt made no difference to her...she 'bout blew me and my 65 Cuda right off the road!!!

Sure enough does. They were never any of them around these parts unless some outsider brought them in for short periods, mostly summer months. I had a good friend that drove Renaults though. He was a former member of their national racing team in France, was a quirky lil guy not much over 5' tall and about 100 lbs. He had several hopped up lil Renaults ELF`s that I had the privilege to drive on occasion , was too tiny and cramped for a guy my size, little turboed 4 banger wasn`t really my cup o tea as most of my rides at that time were big block standard shifters. I took my buddy for a ride one day, he was scared shitless the whole time, the little firebird with its thansplanted 455 Ho Ram air 5 speed Nash tranny could really haul azz.

The only dealer in the state was next town over so there were a goodly number around in the 60's -early 70's. Fern had a half dozen over the years and truely loved them as they were fondly taken care of by the dealer. However Albert passed away about the same time they were dicontinued in the states and the dealership fell to his idiot boy John. John hated working on them because they were designed by folks much cleverer than him....and they were truely a PITA to work on as well. I rember Fern's last D21 Special......really nice car that Albert personally had shiped up here from somewhere south......I mean rode better that a Caddy and handled better than most anything 'Merican and was solid rustwise. I remember it had a tach and an AM/FM stereo radio...very rare items in many auto's back then. Fern blew a radiator hose on the way to work one morning ....called John.....John came with the wrecker and another guy but John opted to drive the car back to the garage rather than tow it.............well....that was that for the last D21 Special. I never forgave that fool for being such a twit and ruining a perfectly good car owned by an aged widow who was not wealthy by any means.....I mean all for a $10.00 hose....

The only dealer in the state was next town over so there were a goodly number around in the 60's -early 70's. Fern had a half dozen over the years and truely loved them as they were fondly taken care of by the dealer. However Albert passed away about the same time they were dicontinued in the states and the dealership fell to his idiot boy John. John hated working on them because they were designed by folks much cleverer than him....and they were truely a PITA to work on as well. I rember Fern's last D21 Special......really nice car that Albert personally had shiped up here from somewhere south......I mean rode better that a Caddy and handled better than most anything 'Merican and was solid rustwise. I remember it had a tach and an AM/FM stereo radio...very rare items in many auto's back then. Fern blew a radiator hose on the way to work one morning ....called John.....John came with the wrecker and another guy but John opted to drive the car back to the garage rather than tow it.............well....that was that for the last D21 Special. I never forgave that fool for being such a twit and ruining a perfectly good car owned by an aged widow who was not wealthy by any means.....I mean all for a $10.00 hose....
All good things come to an end I have heard over and over. I don`t want to even begin on the stupid things I have witnesses one way or another being done by those that should have known better.

You guys covered the strangeness of the French cars.
Yup. No jack on them. Maserati engine on some.

the Deux Chevaux......2cv has 3 luv nuts as I remember
Yep three lug nutz on a 2cv....
Citroen SM...1973 Maserati powered V6 Fuel injected, 5 sp standard. I drove one once....like riding in a rocket ship....couldn't hear or feel the road except from feed back on the steering wheel....actually more like a high performance magic carpet than a rocket ship. Very long car same hydro suspension but with real power!! The hydro system was mechanical controled...no body roll cornering...pressure would build on the outside suspension and compsenate to keep the car level. My girlfriends older brother used to really put Fern's D 21's through the paces....far as I know he invented the reverse rotary in a FWD car!! Another aside... you could really fark the hydro system up with high engine rpms, like in second gear, whilst wipping the steering wheel left and right......that would get the compensation thing out of phase and boost pressure after body roll was already going the other way... the thing would just go crazy...flopping all over the place...you would have to come to a complete stop and let it get itself leveled out before continuing on.

Yep three lug nutz on a 2cv....
Citroen SM...1973 Maserati powered V6 Fuel injected, 5 sp standard. I drove one once....like riding in a rocket ship....couldn't hear or feel the road except from feed back on the steering wheel....actually more like a high performance magic carpet than a rocket ship. Very long car same hydro suspension but with real power!! The hydro system was mechanical controled...no body roll cornering...pressure would build on the outside suspension and compsenate to keep the car level. My girlfriends older brother used to really put Fern's D 21's through the paces....far as I know he invented the reverse rotary in a FWD car!! Another aside... you could really fark the hydro system up with high engine rpms, like in second gear, whilst wipping the steering wheel left and right......that would get the compensation thing out of phase and boost pressure after body roll was already going the other way... the thing would just go crazy...flopping all over the place...you would have to come to a complete stop and let it get itself leveled out before continuing on.
Didn’t know about the hydro overload. Only around one.......belonged to a Vagos......lol waiting for the heads for his scoot......

Back