Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So decision time.. do I pull the 288 down and give it a proper rebuild / refurb or just sling the new ring in and roll with it? It's a tough choice..eager to hear it run but also know better than rush to running. I'm thinking replacing bearings and all in the bottom end and cleaning it up fully is cheap insurance for a milling saw right now. Thoughts?

Since they don't make them 288's anymore and you're gonna work it a bit , build it once and be done with it .

So decision time.. do I pull the 288 down and give it a proper rebuild / refurb or just sling the new ring in and roll with it? It's a tough choice..eager to hear it run but also know better than rush to running. I'm thinking replacing bearings and all in the bottom end and cleaning it up fully is cheap insurance for a milling saw right now. Thoughts?

Havin it to the point of installing a new ring......it ain't much more work to tear it the rest of the way down!

Depends on how you feel bout the bearings in the saw now?

Seems like a big job but it's really not!

Good to practice!

Been working on a Husky 141 that's been laying here for a long time. LOL No spark , ok put another coil on it.Very weak spark ? Funny thing it had bright blue spark on the saw I just took it off of ? Pulled the kill wire off,same thing. Changed the flywheel , stihl the same ? Only thing I can think of is the ground wire ? Done for the day !

Been working on a Husky 141 that's been laying here for a long time. LOL No spark , ok put another coil on it.Very weak spark ? Funny thing it had bright blue spark on the saw I just took it off of ? Pulled the kill wire off,same thing. Changed the flywheel , stihl the same ? Only thing I can think of is the ground wire ? Done for the day !

And Jerry was wrong about excavator golf how ?

And Jerry was wrong about excavator golf how ?

Not wrong! Just the wrong saw in John`s opinion,..they is hiss fav lil saw just like 026`s are mine.

Hey Jerry,

whatcha using for the short game? Mid-range iron?

I use a Cat (can't for the life of me remember the model - mid-70's 50t) for the drive
A Volvo ECB-88 for the mid game
and a N.H. LB-75 for the greens...

If I do find myself in the sand, I'll use the Bobcat 260 with the trencher attachment, makes a heck of a mess, but I usually get out in under an gallon of fuel..

Hey Jerry,

whatcha using for the short game? Mid-range iron?

I use a Cat (can't for the life of me remember the model - mid-70's 50t) for the drive
A Volvo ECB-88 for the mid game
and a N.H. LB-75 for the greens...

If I do find myself in the sand, I'll use the Bobcat 260 with the trencher attachment, makes a heck of a mess, but I usually get out in under an gallon of fuel..

We have 3 to choose from but the lightest is actually the fastest swing and usually will launch a saw the longest distance which usually gets the saw close to the hole in one swing, if all things go right a hole in one is possible. Bobcat 435, Volvo EC330C and Volvo EC480, both Volvos have had their swing motors and seals pulled and replaced under warranty.

We have 3 to choose from but the lightest is actually the fastest swing and usually will launch a saw the longest distance which usually gets the saw close to the hole in one swing, if all things go right a hole in one is possible. Bobcat 435, Volvo EC330C and Volvo EC480, both Volvos have had their swing motors and seals pulled and replaced under warranty.

I like the "big and slow" kinda drive. Once that cat gets warmed up in the first 9, ya better watch out!:msp_biggrin:

The 88 is a '06 or '07, don't remember off hand, but has less than 500 hours on it. It still has a snap to 'er.

The 75 has been used/abuse, ran hard, and put away wet. 1/8" slop in the pins ain't nothin' but a thing... She's now my stump puller - dig under the stump, grab ahold until the loader bucket is about 2' off the ground, and shake the s(*&^ out of it... They come right out :msp_biggrin:

I like the "big and slow" kinda drive. Once that cat gets warmed up in the first 9, ya better watch out!:msp_biggrin:

The 88 is a '06 or '07, don't remember off hand, but has less than 500 hours on it. It still has a snap to 'er.

The 75 has been used/abuse, ran hard, and put away wet. 1/8" slop in the pins ain't nothin' but a thing... She's now my stump puller - dig under the stump, grab ahold until the loader bucket is about 2' off the ground, and shake the s(*&^ out of it... They come right out :msp_biggrin:

I really liked the swing of the old Hitachi ZX230 ,very smooth and fast but it got traded in the Volvo deal.

I got's no excavator but I can borrow the disability machine anytime .

attachment.php

Sure sinks them in real good LOL

Don't these Volvo seem to be slower on reactions? Seems to me that there's a delay/drag doing multiple functions.

BTW, what do ya use for a "Tee"? I've been using Honey Locust and Oak since Sandy. Bar pointed to the flag, but adjusted for windage. Usually 12-16" diameter about 2' high - don't want to take too much of a divot out! :laugh:

I got's no excavator but I can borrow the disability machine anytime .

Sure sinks them in real good LOL

So, you're the SOB that plunks my ba... errr... saw 2' under grade! Makes that chip shot a heck-o-lot harder!

And, why do ya'll need one of them up in Canukastan? Whatca do, flatten the snow?!:laugh:

Back